PDA

View Full Version : Poe and cosmology

amstrad
2002-Jan-18, 01:29 PM
Today's EPOD (http://epod.usra.edu/archive/epodviewer.php3?oid=83584) is a little tribute to Edgar Allen Poe and his solution to why the night sky is dark and not bright. He was an intelligent, but disturbed man...

ToSeek
2002-Jan-18, 02:49 PM
And there goes the EPOD doing astronomy again! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

The Bad Astronomer
2002-Jan-18, 04:39 PM
... and they have two errors on the page. Typos, really. It's "Olbers", not "Oblers" (and people commonly write "Olber's Paradox" when it should be "Olbers' Paradox"). The other is they call "Scorpius" "Scorpio". I guess an astrologer writes that page. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

SeanF
2002-Jan-18, 04:55 PM
On 2002-01-18 11:39, The Bad Astronomer wrote:
... and they have two errors on the page. Typos, really. It's "Olbers", not "Oblers" (and people commonly write "Olber's Paradox" when it should be "Olbers' Paradox"). The other is they call "Scorpius" "Scorpio". I guess an astrologer writes that page. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Didja notice that that "Obler's Paradox" link takes you to a page written by our very own BA, with a specific note about the common misspelling right up at the top!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SeanF on 2002-01-18 11:55 ]</font>

GrapesOfWrath
2002-Jan-19, 02:20 PM
To be fair, that's the only mispelling of that name that I can find on the page--and it is misspeled at the link, where Phil points out the misspelling.

ljbrs
2002-Jan-19, 10:16 PM
To be fair, that's the only mispelling of that name that I can find on the page--and it is misspeled at the link, where Phil points out the misspelling.

I am just being pedantic. The words *misspell* and *misspelled* are often misspelled. Obviously, this can drive a pedant like me nuts. Usually, such misspellings come from typographical errors. Blame the keyboard which leaves out and adds letters all of the time. Blame spell check! Checking on one's own misspellings drives one stark raving nuts. Blame the computer! Blame the computer program! Blame all programmers!

ljbrs /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ljbrs on 2002-01-19 17:18 ]</font>

ljbrs
2002-Jan-19, 10:21 PM
On the other hand, *Edit* comes in very handy at times!

ljbrs /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

John Kierein
2002-Jan-20, 12:34 PM
I don't like their explanation. Isn't that BA?