PDA

View Full Version : Suspended animation research--humans in 2 years?

Lord Jubjub
2006-Jul-14, 02:37 AM
http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/14.07/posts.html?pg=4

Done many times in pigs. The researchers think they could do the same for humans. . .

Everyone talks about suspended animation. . .has anyone considered the ethical ramifications of the research involved in perfecting it?

Note to mods: I was thinking of long-term space exploration, but if you want to move this to General Science, I have no objections.

WaxRubiks
2006-Jul-14, 02:40 AM
beware-link not for the squemish.

Dragon Star
2006-Jul-14, 02:54 AM
That reminds me of my mothers surgery a few years ago, they flew her to California for a somewhat rare operation where they do something somewhat similar, they pretty much kill you, and (I think) Ice or organs during the duration of the surgery, then bring you back. It was for a lung surgery to remove some blood-clots, if she were here right now I would ask her what the name of it was so you could read about it, but she is in WV at the moment with a friend. If this thread is still being posted on by tomorrow night I will find out what it is called and let you know.

2006-Jul-14, 04:15 AM
That reminds me of my mothers surgery a few years ago, they flew her to California for a somewhat rare operation where they do something somewhat similar, they pretty much kill you, and (I think) Ice or organs during the duration of the surgery, then bring you back.
Wikipedia: Induced hypothermia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Induced_hypothermia)

Induced hypothermia is sometimes used as preparation for surgery on the heart or during artificial coma to increase survival chances after cardiac arrest or severe injury.
[...]
This is usually accomplished by either ice-cold intravenous fluids or placement of ice packs in the patient's armpits and groin, [...]
Shiver.

Dragon Star
2006-Jul-14, 04:24 AM
Well, it was more complicated then that, they drugged her, and put her in a series of cooling chambers to lower her body temp first, and then I think they did the intravenous fluids.