PDA

View Full Version : Superheroes Go Postal

ToSeek
2006-Jul-19, 09:06 PM
Wonder Woman, Superman, Batman Go Postal (http://www.livescience.com/othernews/060719_ap_superhero_stamps.html)

Faster than a speeding bullet, comic book superheroes are coming to a post office near you.

Batman and Superman, Wonder Woman, Supergirl and a half dozen other superheroes will star on new postage stamps being released Thursday.

The new 39-cent stamps and 24-cent postal cards will be made public at a comic book show in San Diego, and will go on sale nationwide Friday.

The stamps are sold in a sheet of 20, half featuring the individual superheroes and half showing covers of comic books starring them.

The Postal Service reports this is its first set of super hero stamps, indicating more are likely to follow.

sarongsong
2006-Aug-05, 05:58 AM
My USA Philatelic catalog just arrived today. The normally staid cover (Fall 2006---not yet online) features a comic-book rendition of an explosive ground impact, with 3 dialogue boxes announcing:
"Sent from an unidentified corner of the Universe, a fiery orb plummets from the sky...its origins are UNKNOWN...its purpose, also hidden."
Turning the page reveals the pane of 20 Super Hero stamps.

Ronald Brak
2006-Aug-05, 06:21 AM
Looks like the U.S. has definitely caught up with Australia - Putting out weird stamps so collectors in other countries will buy them. Did you know North Korea put out a stamp for the royal wedding of Prince Charles and Lady Di? Pure genius!

sarongsong
2006-Aug-06, 04:10 AM
Well, the sheer volume of different stamps being issued makes one wonder if that's the cause of the relentless incremently rising postal rates.

ToSeek
2006-Aug-06, 04:57 AM
They probably make money that way with all the collectors buying stamps at face value and not using them.

sarongsong
2006-Aug-06, 07:15 AM
Perhaps. Would be interesting to see an accounting comparison of a single-stamp issue (in various appropriate denominations) vs. what we have today.

PhantomWolf
2006-Aug-06, 11:55 AM
I gave up collecting Stamps here because of the number they put out each year, it's just impossible to keep up. I do have some from last years though. They were produced before the UK and Ireland Lion's toured here. They are shaped as Rugby Union Jerseys, one in the colours of the All Blacks, and the other in the colours of the Lions.

Roy Batty
2006-Aug-06, 12:50 PM
What is the cost of postage to Deimos nowadays anyway? :)

Swift
2006-Aug-08, 03:39 PM
They probably make money that way with all the collectors buying stamps at face value and not using them.
That is absolutely correct, though I can't quickly google up proof. The cost of a new stamp is fairly low (design work plus printing), but every stamp that is collected (taken out of circulation) is money to the USPS (you have basically purchased a service - mailing a letter - and then not used it). Many of the small countries around the world, not just North Korea, have been doing it for years as a source of revenue.

I gave up on collecting stamps about five years ago, having been collecting for about 35 years. Part of that was all of the issues aimed only at separating a collector from their money. But the straw that broke this camel's back was when the US post office broke their own rule and started putting commercial symbols (like Bugs Bunny and Superman) on stamps. At that point, you are printing ads for Warner Brothers and Marvel Comics. :naughty: :mad:

Gillianren
2006-Aug-08, 04:48 PM
I think an argument can be made that both Bugs Bunny and Superman are pop culture icons. Now, if they put the Burger King logo or some such on them . . . .

sarongsong
2006-Aug-08, 09:11 PM
The official line:
...portraying the American experience to a world audience...The U.S. Postal Service and the members of the Citizens' Stamp Advisory Committee (CSAC) have set certain basic criteria used in determining the eligibility of subjects for commemoration on U.S. stamps and stationery...Following are the 12 major areas now guiding subject selection:...USPS (http://www.usps.com/communications/organization/csac.htm)

tkingdoll
2006-Aug-08, 10:29 PM
I was so excited by them, I got a friend in the US to mail me a few sheets as soon as they were released. They satisfy two inner geeks: the philatelist and the comic book fan. I fully intend to frame a sheet and hang them on my wall.

And next year they are doing a set of Marvel stamps! Oooh can't wait.

mike alexander
2006-Aug-08, 10:44 PM
The idea of commercial logos could work, if handled right.

Imagine getting a mailing that says on the return address 'From the Office of US Rep. John Doe', and the stamp says 'Home of the Whopper'.

PhantomWolf
2006-Aug-09, 12:20 AM
(like Bugs Bunny and Superman) on stamps. At that point, you are printing ads for Warner Brothers and Marvel Comics.

I fail to see how Superman is an advertisement for Marvel Comics.

sarongsong
2006-Aug-09, 05:48 AM
The idea of commercial logos could work, if handled right...[Cue music]
"...all you need is love..."
April 21, 2006
ORLANDO, FL - True love is a wish that every heart makes, and the U.S. Postal Service has granted that wish with the help of...The Disney relationship with the U.S. Postal Service began in the summer of 1918...USPS (http://www.usps.com/communications/news/stamps/2006/sr06_020.htm)

ToSeek
2006-Aug-09, 08:47 PM
I think an argument can be made that both Bugs Bunny and Superman are pop culture icons. Now, if they put the Burger King logo or some such on them . . . .

I could live with Bugs Bunny on a stamp. But they went on to do Sylvester and Tweety, the Road Runner, Porky Pig, and Daffy Duck, which is a bit much.

Charlie in Dayton
2006-Aug-10, 12:47 AM
What is the cost of postage to Deimos nowadays anyway? :)

Four quatloos for the first gram, and 3.14159 quatloos for the next gram or fraction thereof...surcharges apply for delivery receipt or the new FTL 'received before sent' service.

Gillianren
2006-Aug-10, 03:19 AM
I could live with Bugs Bunny on a stamp. But they went on to do Sylvester and Tweety, the Road Runner, Porky Pig, and Daffy Duck, which is a bit much.

They did Muppet stamps, too; I was happy but not surprised to get one on the Christmas card from my aunt (the former professional puppeteer who's in The Muppet Movie).