PDA

View Full Version : The Real Story of Apollo 11: Stranger than Fiction on UK Channel 5

Sticks
2006-Jul-19, 09:43 PM
This will be shown at 21:00 on the UK's Channel 5 on Monday July 24

(Repeated at 23:00 on 27 July)

Does not look like anything to do with hoax theories, in one of the trailers it mentions how Apollo 11 was saved by a ball point pen. Sounds like the Fisher pen story again.

Is Jay around to illucidate on this for new members?

I am also posting this heads up on Apolo Hoax

ToSeek
2006-Jul-20, 04:04 AM
True story: Apollo 11 saved by a Fisher space pen (http://thewritersedge.com/story.main.cfm)

Sticks
2006-Jul-24, 07:07 PM
Except that according to Jay, it was actually a felt tip pen, as Buzz did not like Fisher pens

BTW bumped to remind fellow UK posters

Sleepy
2006-Jul-24, 11:31 PM
Whilst its allways good to see various controllers and astronauts talk about this great event the commentry was so over the top it distorted every event to make it seem a life or death event solved only by chance. Lets forget the 3 well trained test pilots crewing the mission or the hundreds of controllers/engineers technicians etc backing them up.

I'd give it 4 out of 10.

Roy Batty
2006-Jul-25, 02:07 AM
Yeah, about 10 minutes in before it had got off the launch pad they were already describing it as some sort of ticking time-bomb that could of decimated half of Florida :D:rolleyes: A generous 4/10 from me too.

satcom
2006-Jul-26, 06:45 AM
Two out of ten .....for apparently using clips from "THE SECRET NASA TRANSMISSIONS: 'The Smoking Gun' " ............... factual programming my
*@%* !

Mr Gorsky
2006-Jul-26, 01:15 PM
Well, it was Channel 5 ... what do you expect.

V-GER
2006-Jul-26, 01:53 PM
Curious: why was there ever a need to develop a ballpoint pen that works in zero g, why not just use pencils?

Jason Thompson
2006-Jul-26, 02:24 PM
why not just use pencils?

Because pencils come with pencil shavings, graphite dust, and rubber dust from erasing pencil marks. Quite apart from these items being a nightmare to deal with in freefall, graphite is electrically conductive, and the last thing you want is conductive dust getting in behind panels where it can contaminate switches.

Roy Batty
2006-Jul-26, 02:29 PM
Pencils use graphite, which can produce dust or snap. Tiny bits of electrically conductive graphite is not something you want floating around a spacecraft.

Edit: ToSeeked :)

V-GER
2006-Jul-26, 04:29 PM
Uh, that pretty much settles that. Thanks.

Mellow
2006-Jul-26, 10:06 PM
And of course they could have used an ordinary ballpoint pen, it will work in zeroG it just won't work in negative G. Strange how so much money was spent when a 50p Bic would have sufficed.

PhantomWolf
2006-Jul-26, 11:56 PM
Well to be fair, Fisher spent their own money to develop it and then asked NASA if they wanted to use it, NASA didn't ask them for it.

Mellow
2006-Jul-28, 03:36 PM
PW - Yup, understood that, so didn't think it was a NASA cock-up. I just like the way the story has been embelished.