PDA

View Full Version : The Core: Photo contest

kucharek
2003-Apr-15, 08:46 PM
Silly idea: I'm just in Paris and the whole city is plastered with advertisement for a movie: "Fusion - The Core". Know that? ;-)
I had the silly idea for a photo contest: Get yourself in front of a Core poster somewhere, take a snapshot and send it to the BA. I think, he deserves it! ;-)

One of the first postcards I saw had a very big full moon behind the Eiffel tower. The tower was shot from a low angle and all I thought: That's fake, that's BA.

BTW, I'm not at all a BABB addicted... :lol:

Harald

gethen
2003-Apr-15, 09:52 PM
Sounds like a recipe for "bandwidth exceeded" but hey, I hope we all get to see the pictures. I don't have any way to scan a pic, so I'll just watch.

tracer
2003-Apr-15, 10:15 PM
Is this French Fusion - The Core movie any relation to a certain American movie called The Core (http://www.badastronomy.com/bad/movies/thecore.html) that came out recently?

g99
2003-Apr-15, 10:21 PM
O.K. i have a digital camera. So what am i supposed to do again? I am confused. :-?

R.A.F.
2003-Apr-15, 10:39 PM
g99, find someone who has posted about the core, a "core poster", and have your picture taken with him/her. :D

g99
2003-Apr-15, 11:09 PM
g99, find someone who has posted about the core, a "core poster", and have your picture taken with him/her. :D

Ahh! See i took it too literally.

Well here (http://plaza.ufl.edu/sandler/images/thecoredan.jpg) is mine.

You know what i never noticed the big beam of light before. Hmm.... :wink:

Added: Well the beautiful girl next to me has not posted, but i have. Does that count? :-)

The Bad Astronomer
2003-Apr-16, 12:04 AM
That's pretty good, g99.

But please, folks, don't send me pictures. I don't look at attachments in emails anyway. But link to 'em here if you want.

g99
2003-Apr-16, 01:07 AM
Yup! 30 seconds with a photoshop like software (Arcsoft Photostudio 2000) can do wonders to a scanned in pic. :-)

ahb
2003-Apr-16, 01:54 AM
hmmm...

kilopi
2003-Apr-16, 01:55 AM
One of the first postcards I saw had a very big full moon behind the Eiffel tower. The tower was shot from a low angle and all I thought: That's fake, that's BA.
OK, why would that be fake?

kucharek
2003-Apr-16, 08:15 AM
OK, why would that be fake?
The tower is shot from a low angle, you are somehow looking up to it. The full moon behind is very big. To get it that large in one shot, you would have to be far away from it and take a long telephoto lens. If you shoot it from below, you can't get very far from the tower. You would only be able to get such a large moon behind the tower in a horizontal shot.

If you mail me your snail-mail address to harald dot kucharek at gmx dot net and I see that card again, I may send you one, okay? let's say, you and the first two other, well known participants here who send me their address, may get one.

Harald

kilopi
2003-Apr-16, 10:43 AM
French postcards, how can I pass that up? My email is on its way. Let me know here if you find 'em again.

We should be able to calculate just how far away they must have been.

kucharek
2003-Apr-16, 07:20 PM
French postcards, how can I pass that up?
I don't know if they are currently PC... :-)

My email is on its way.
Got it. Now I now the real man behind GoW/kilopi... But I wouldn't reveal it here... :-)

Let me know here if you find 'em again.
Yup. I'll.

We should be able to calculate just how far away they must have been.
Let's start collecting technical data on the Eiffel tower...

Harald

SeanF
2003-Apr-16, 07:28 PM
Let's start collecting technical data on the Eiffel tower...

Here's the Official Site (http://www.tour-eiffel.fr/teiffel/uk/). I would guess this diagram (http://www.tour-eiffel.fr/teiffel/uk/documentation/structure/page/g_chiffres_1.html) would be most helpful.

Now all we need is the picture itself. Were the first and second levels both visible on the picture? From that, it should be possible to determine the angle from which the photo was taken - add the moon, and we've got the distance as well.

gethen
2003-Apr-16, 07:54 PM
Hey, I think g99's interpretation of the Core photo contest may be more inspiring than just taking your own pic with a poster. I laughed out loud when I saw it. Wish I had a way to do the same.

jokergirl
2003-Apr-22, 02:40 PM
Is this French Fusion - The Core movie any relation to a certain American movie called The Core (http://www.badastronomy.com/bad/movies/thecore.html) that came out recently?

I think they forgot some characters here. Shouldn't it rather be Confusion - The Core?

;)

kucharek
2003-Apr-26, 01:44 PM
French postcards, how can I pass that up? My email is on its way. Let me know here if you find 'em again.
Wuahh! Got it in my last 15 minutes in Paris. I already had given up the hope to find that card again. Then I got to the railway station and just at the head of the platform where my train was already waiting, a small shop sold it. I checked my time and for a mailbox.
Just enough time to write a few words and send it off. And I'm damn sure it's fake.

Harald

PS: I sent a second to Phil, just adressed to "The Bad Astronomer, USA".
Let's see, if he is that famous... ;-)

kilopi
2003-Apr-26, 02:30 PM
Awesome, cook. Duty above and beyond.

I'm betting the post office will google on The Bad Astronomer, and there will be no doubt. Betcha BA puts the postcard on his webpage. :)

The BA needs to put a snail mail address on the website somewhere.

Mr. X
2003-Apr-27, 05:14 AM
Amazing SeanF...

Do you have any more detailed schematics of it?

What kind of curve are the sides, length of beams and shape depending on level, loads on the beams, beam sag, alloys used, types of links...

Maybe some documentation on the creation process, how the structure was thought out, etc.

I'd be really grateful.

Of course ideally you could find me the full schematics and every single calculation made but that might be a lot to ask... :)

SeanF
2003-Apr-28, 02:31 PM
Amazing SeanF...

Do you have any more detailed schematics of it?

What kind of curve are the sides, length of beams and shape depending on level, loads on the beams, beam sag, alloys used, types of links...

Maybe some documentation on the creation process, how the structure was thought out, etc.

I'd be really grateful.

Well, I actually just found that site with a Google search on "Eiffel Tower" and "dimensions" - it's not information I already had at hand.

Of course ideally you could find me the full schematics and every single calculation made but that might be a lot to ask... :)
Sure, no problem. How soon do you need that? ;)

Kucharek, you did scan that before you sent it off in the post (or got an extra copy for yourself), didn't you? How about some quick measurements on the size of the moon and tower features on the card? :)

kilopi
2003-Apr-28, 02:49 PM
Kucharek, you did scan that before you sent it off in the post (or got an extra copy for yourself), didn't you? How about some quick measurements on the size of the moon and tower features on the card?
Patience. It should be here any week now...

kucharek
2003-Apr-28, 03:25 PM
I was pretty much in a hurry and didn't bought one for myself :-(
But I'm sure, it's fake. The Moon is way too large for that angle of view up the tower. When I was at the tower, I did some rough experiments with the tip of my small finger at the streched out arm and with the sun. No chance that picture is real.

Harald

PS: BTW, in the Arts et Metiers museum, I saw the original of Foucault's sphere he used in the demonstration of his pendulum in the Pantheon in 1851. I'm now convinced, the Earth is round and rotating... ;-)

http://visite.artsetmetiers.free.fr/site_anglais/pendulum_museum_a.html

kilopi
2003-May-29, 01:07 PM
Sorry, cook.

It's a month later, and the postcard doesn't seem to have arrived. I wonder if the BA got his?

ToSeek
2003-May-29, 04:24 PM
Sorry, cook.

It's a month later, and the postcard doesn't seem to have arrived. I wonder if the BA got his?

I sent postcards to the US from Aruba once. They took about three months to arrive.

g99
2003-May-29, 05:39 PM
It might take a while for it to happen. I went to Europe for a month after high school ggraduation. I sent out a card when i got there and the post card came back two weeks after i got back.

Just sometimes the mail system gets really backed up. Especially since not as many commercial airlinrs are carrying mail these days.

kilopi
2003-May-29, 05:45 PM
My kids are getting interested. They're trying to figure out why I'm expecting a postcard from Paris. Everyone is on the alert because I don't want it to be tossed with the junk mail.

kucharek
2003-May-31, 08:32 AM
Sorry, cook.

Well, you know, the current french-american relations... It may be delayed either by the French or US mail... or the home security office, checking for some secret messages - I didn't use your initial, but kPI (greek letter) in the address, which may look suspicious ;-)

I arrived yesterday in Tokyo - no, I'm not a BABB addicted ;-) - and if I find a BA card with the Tokyo tower - a cheap copy, a few meters taller (the tower, not the card...) - we may find out who's quicker. Maybe it is unfair to compare French efficiency with the Japanese one...

Harald

PS: It seems, Planet X is really coming. We currently have a typhoon here, the first in May since 1965. And tonite was an earthquake - a small tremor to be honest. And I also seem to be haunted by some strange movie. When I checked the tv yesterday, a commercial for some strange movie that will start on June 6th in Japan was running. Movie's name, you may have guessed it, is "Za Koa". :lol:

Harald

kucharek
2003-Jun-17, 09:54 AM
Here's a funny review of "Za Koa" I read in the Japan Times while in Japan. Luckily, it's available online (http://www.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/getarticle.pl5?ff20030611a1.htm). Not very much about the movie itself...

Harald

freddo
2003-Jun-18, 12:09 AM
"Mother Nature's the enemy here, and the U.S. military kicks her butt."

"Add this to 'Armageddon,' and soon Joe Sixpack will have a dozen reasons he can think of why we can't reduce our nuclear capability."

Hilarious!!!! :lol:

kilopi
2003-Sep-19, 03:54 PM
It may be delayed either by the French or US mail... or the home security office, checking for some secret messages - I didn't use your initial, but kPI (greek letter) in the address, which may look suspicious
Or it could have been chewed up by a neighborhood dog. I've not seen it though. D*ng.