PDA

View Full Version : Mars Question

DavidDrake
2006-Jul-21, 03:31 PM
Hi! Just found this site today, and had a quick question about an email that I received concerning Mars.
The email said that Mars will be at its closest to the Earth in late August, but a person at work said it was bunk, and to ignore the email. Is this email bogus? I didn't see any mention of this event on other sites, and thought I would check around to make sure.
Thanks for you advice on this,
David.

antoniseb
2006-Jul-21, 03:34 PM
Hi DavidDrake, welcome to the BAUT forum.

The email was real for 2003. That event has come and gone. The email (for some reason) didn't include the year, so we keep seeing it every summer (Northern Hemisphere). Right now, Mars is as far from Earth as it ever gets.

DavidDrake
2006-Jul-21, 03:49 PM
Thanks for the quick reply, I knew I had seen this before, and remembered viewing Mars recently, that must have been when I did it.
I appreciate you keeping me straight.
David.

ToSeek
2006-Jul-21, 05:21 PM
Do we need a sticky somewhere addressing this issue? I think this is the third thread in the past week to bring up this question.

Jeff Root
2006-Jul-21, 07:27 PM
And be sure to mention the fact that the original e-mail message
that went around contained a simple typographical error which
made it read as though Mars would appear to be comparable in
size to the Moon! That typo is still part of the current message,
as far as I know.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

antoniseb
2006-Jul-21, 08:08 PM
Do we need a sticky somewhere addressing this issue? I think this is the third thread in the past week to bring up this question.
I get the impression that a sticky wouldn't be noticed by the new members.

Lord Jubjub
2006-Jul-21, 10:13 PM
A sticky that was titled "Mars was at its closest approach to Earth in 2003" will probably attract newbies attention. At least it would give every person a standard reply: "Check the sticky!"

DavidDrake
2006-Jul-22, 12:14 PM
The Email I received said that Mars would be as large as the Moon WHEN viewed with a 75x magnification. Also had some great pictures of Mars. I have sent msgs back up the line to correct them.
Thanks,
David.

DavidDrake
2006-Jul-22, 12:17 PM
Oh yeah, a sticky labeled "Mars was closest in 2003" (sic) would be perfect. I read through the forum subjects before I asked and didn't see anything appropriate, thus this thread.
David.

antoniseb
2006-Jul-22, 12:26 PM
So, David, now that you're here, do you have a broader interest in astronomy or spaceflight? What's your main group of interests?

DavidDrake
2006-Jul-22, 12:43 PM
My interests are mainly sci-fi and fantasy. Been doing RPG's and miniatures wargamming for over twenty years, and grew up when was still an original Star Trek broadcast. Unfortunately, these days my main interests are work and house repairs. Try to get to the game room on weekends, but its getting harder.
I'm in North Florida, and at least I can get down to Canaveral occasionally.
Really got into astronomy back in Junior High when I took a class, and I still fiddle around with it on occasion.
Speaking of work, its picking back up, see you later!
David.