PDA

View Full Version : BA on Jeopardy!

ocasey3
2003-Apr-17, 04:47 AM
The other night on Jeopardy, in the cagtegory of The Planets, The answer was (paraphrasing) :This ringed planet is the furthest planet visible with the naked eye. Well, having read this site for years, I know the question should be what is Uranus, but of course they had Saturn. Who do I need to contact?? :)

Right now, I am so missing the old board of a couple of years ago.

g99
2003-Apr-17, 04:51 AM
They might mean "What is the furthest planet you can see the rings with the naked eye" not the planet itself. Just guessing.

ocasey3
2003-Apr-17, 04:58 AM
Well, I know the folks at Jeopardy aren't perfect, but I needed a good first post, lol. And, no, no mention of the rings. I don't think you can see Saturn's rings unaided anyway.

By the way, a big Motown shout-out to all you fabulous folks on this board. I've lurked for years, only posted a few times on the old board.

Elaine

kilopi
2003-Apr-17, 05:05 AM
Right now, I am so missing the old board of a couple of years ago.
It sounds like you're right about the Jeopardy question, Elaine.

Here, remember Megan's Guest Book (http://www.jump.net/~rmal/BAusers.htm)?

tracer
2003-Apr-17, 05:10 AM
Waaaaaait a minute ... if Uranus is visible with the naked eye, how come it wasn't discovered without the help of telescopes?

ocasey3
2003-Apr-17, 05:21 AM
Don't know how to link up another page on this site, but you will find the answer on the main BA site under The Pantry.

--Sure, I remember Megan's guestbook, won't find me in there though, lol

Tito_Muerte
2003-Apr-17, 12:01 PM
yeah I'm with Tracer on this one.....reiterating his question.

I have a lot of faith in Alex Trubek...(what, with him being the MOST POWERFUL CANADIAN ON THE PLANET..and all)... so, I want more proof here that my beloved beloved Jeapardy is guilty of such a horrid mistake...

kilopi
2003-Apr-17, 12:58 PM
There is always my favorite theory about Uranus (http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=115&start=0), that it was the star of Bethlehem.

Don't know how to link up another page on this site, but you will find the answer on the main BA site under The Pantry.

Just use BBcode and "url equals sign", and you get this, the BA page on the visibility of Uranus: The Last Visible Planet (http://www.badastronomy.com/bitesize/solar_system/uranus.html).

--Sure, I remember Megan's guestbook, won't find me in there though, lol
Noticed that.

PS: I just posted your question ocasey3 to the Jeopardy message board (http://boards.sonypictures.com/boards/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=24). I had to re-register though.

SeanF
2003-Apr-17, 02:27 PM
I have a lot of faith in Alex Trubek...(what, with him being the MOST POWERFUL CANADIAN ON THE PLANET..and all)... so, I want more proof here that my beloved beloved Jeapardy is guilty of such a horrid mistake...

Alex Trebek doesn't even know how to pronounce my state's capital - but I can't offer any proof of that, either, I just happened to hear him do it once. :)

kilopi
2003-Apr-17, 02:32 PM
Did he pronounce it Pea-Air, like I used to (five minutes ago)?

Hmmm...no response at the Jeopardy board.

SeanF
2003-Apr-17, 02:35 PM
Did he pronounce it Pea-Air, like I used to (five minutes ago)?

Hmmm...no response at the Jeopardy board.

Yup, he did. Glad to hear you've straightened out, at least. ;)

kilopi
2003-Apr-17, 02:50 PM
I suppose it would be natural to assume that it rhyme with derriere, but I can see why they'd want to move away from that. If North Dakota becomes Dakota, what will you guys do? Has anybody considered selling a corporate sponsorship and calling it Wall Drug Dakota?

That kinda ties into the Sun/Moon poll thread (http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=4733). Maybe they could call 'em Sun Microsystems and Mooon (got milk?)

SeanF
2003-Apr-17, 03:01 PM
I suppose it would be natural to assume that it rhyme with derriere, but I can see why they'd want to move away from that. If North Dakota becomes Dakota, what will you guys do? Has anybody considered selling a corporate sponsorship and calling it Wall Drug Dakota?

Wall Drug's fairly well known, but I don't know that they've got all that much money. How about Citibankota?

As far as the North Dakota thing goes, I don't know that it'd matter. It's not East Virginia, after all, it's just Virginia. You know why they want to drop the "North"? Because it makes people think it's cold! You know what? It is!

kilopi
2003-Apr-17, 03:22 PM
Yeh, I don't know why we in North Carolina aren't trying to do the same thing.

BTW, I just noticed that a poster named MarkBarrett has responded at the Jeopardy board, and confirmed the OP. The thread title is Question about visible ringed planet (http://boards.sonypictures.com/boards/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=24).

The Shade
2003-Apr-17, 04:12 PM
To put this title back on topic, the people at Jeopardy aren't infalable, neither is Alex Trebek. They once got my home province's capital wrong. They said New Brunswick's capital is St-John, while in fact, it's Fredericton. Of course, don't ask me to name all U.S. capitals, I'd probably get most of them wrong myself. :D

To answer the Uranus question: yes it's visible to the naked eye, but it's at the limit of visibility. There are some texts that refer to people seeing it, but the planet was mostly ignored due to the fact that the status quo said the solar system ended at Saturn. Nobody had the guts to say otherwise, or they just didn't recognize what they saw. One of those people was Galileo who saw it while looking at Saturn in 1610 or 1612, but dismissed it as a background star. I'll try to find a link to this story.

ocasey3
2003-Apr-17, 04:24 PM
Well, doesn't being at the limit of visibility still make it visible? :D
I know Jeopardy isn't infallable, I've caught mistakes before, BUT how did Alex let that wrong question about Canada get past him? I like Alex most of the time, but he sure can sound condescending on occasion.

Thanks kilopi for taking this to the Jeopardy boards, will be interesting to see if anything happens.

Edited for bad spelling.

kilopi
2003-Apr-17, 04:27 PM
To put this title back on topic
Hey! It was back on topic. :)

Perhaps you're thinking of Jupiter. Uranus was within a couple of degrees of Jupiter the first month or so of 1610. But a lot of people saw Uranus, even without telescopes. There are a few thousands of visible stars and accurate maps were hard to come by--and if someone should notice it, the next time they looked it would be gone, and no one would be sure where to find it again. That's why it wasn't identified as a planet--well, that and being over a hundred times dimmer than any other known planet.

I've seen it naked eye myself.

PS: No problem, ocasey3, I'm interested myself. I used to be registered over at the Jeopardy board, but something seems to have changed. And, as I said, the planet is interesting too, historically:
http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=75045#75045

Kaptain K
2003-Apr-17, 05:27 PM
I've seen it naked eye myself.
Ditto

Hale_Bopp
2003-Apr-17, 06:17 PM
Many years ago, the Final Jeopardy category was the Solar System. The answer was...

"When the Solar System is viewed from above, it is the direction the planets appear to orbit around the Sun."

I was kind of mystified by the concept of "above". They used above as the traditional globe of course with North being up.

Rob

JS Princeton
2003-Apr-17, 07:18 PM
Many years ago, the Final Jeopardy category was the Solar System. The answer was...

"When the Solar System is viewed from above, it is the direction the planets appear to orbit around the Sun."

This answer gives me the shivers. Bad Astronomy to the extreme!

kurtisw
2003-Apr-17, 07:46 PM
To put this title back on topic
Hey! It was back on topic. :)

Perhaps you're thinking of Jupiter. Uranus was within a couple of degrees of Jupiter the first month or so of 1610. But a lot of people saw Uranus, even without telescopes.

Galileo observed Neptune near Jupiter in 1612 and 1613 (see http://www-gap.dcs.st-and.ac.uk/~history/HistTopics/Neptune_and_Pluto.html
and http://www-gap.dcs.st-and.ac.uk/~history/Diagrams/Galileo_Neptune_note.gif)
If I remember correctly, those observations have actually been used recently to place upper limits on the mass / orbits of any additional planets in the solar system, with the best fit resulting from assuming no additional planets.

daver
2003-Apr-17, 08:46 PM

I was kind of mystified by the concept of "above". They used above as the traditional globe of course with North being up.

Rob

Well, given that he was almost certainly recording in the northern hemisphere, "above' would yield a fairly unambiguous direction.

The direction that first came to my mind was "widdershins". I wonder if i've been reading the wrong sort of books.

kilopi
2003-Apr-17, 09:15 PM
Galileo observed Neptune near Jupiter in 1612 and 1613 (see http://www-gap.dcs.st-and.ac.uk/~history/HistTopics/Neptune_and_Pluto.html
and http://www-gap.dcs.st-and.ac.uk/~history/Diagrams/Galileo_Neptune_note.gif)
Ah, Neptune then.

The link says the two observations were Dec. 28 1612 and Jan. 27 1613 (and apparently the next night). Too bad he didn't check it out on Jan. 3 (new style, I think), Neptune does an amazing pas de deux with Jupiter, and Jupiter even occults Neptune.

The Shade
2003-Apr-17, 10:25 PM
Sorry Kilopi. My bad. :oops:

And kurtisw is right. It was Neptune seen near Jupiter's position in the sky. My bad again, but at least, I knew it was one of the lesser giants near one of the big two.

It seems that I've had too many "my bad" in this thread, so I'm just going to go stand in a corner and hang my head in shame.

darkhunter
2003-Apr-18, 05:06 PM
The direction that first came to my mind was "widdershins". I wonder if i've been reading the wrong sort of books.

Then we could find out more about the Great A'Tuin...would ask Rincewind but he keeps running away...

I've aways wondered what happens if you give the correct answer, but it's not "their" correct answer?

daver
2003-Apr-18, 08:16 PM

Then we could find out more about the Great A'Tuin...would ask Rincewind but he keeps running away...

I've aways wondered what happens if you give the correct answer, but it's not "their" correct answer?

They have been known to reverse themselves over commercial breaks. They give back the money, but they don't do do-overs. I don't think they change who gets control of the board.

kilopi
2003-Apr-25, 02:33 AM
Viking visited Mars, and Voyager visited Jupiter in the seventies. What exactly was the question? Did they consider Mars an "outer" planet?

pulsar4529
2003-Apr-25, 03:25 AM
Well, I forgot to mention that when they were telling the answer, they showed a picture of the voyager probe in front of Jupiter.

kilopi
2003-Apr-25, 03:37 AM
Interesting! I posted it to the Jeopardy board as Outer Planets question (http://boards.sonypictures.com/boards/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=24).

pulsar4529
2003-Apr-25, 06:00 AM
Someone on the board said that they saw a picture of Mars as well. So it may be me that is wrong. However, I don't see why the picture of Voyager infront of Jupiter would be included in the same question.

kilopi
2003-Apr-25, 09:42 AM
MSDawson says they showed a shot of the spacecraft, one of Jupiter, then one from the surface of Mars, but the clue included 1976 as a date--which would have been Viking. Everybody (two people and you) seem to agree that one of the pictures was of Jupiter though.

tjm220
2003-Apr-25, 04:32 PM
MSDawson says they showed a shot of the spacecraft, one of Jupiter, then one from the surface of Mars, but the clue included 1976 as a date--which would have been Viking. Everybody (two people and you) seem to agree that one of the pictures was of Jupiter though.

Definitely was a Jupiter fly-by followed by a quick Mars surface shot from Viking.