PDA

View Full Version : What are you having for dinner today?

Titana
2006-Jul-25, 05:29 PM
I thought this would be a good way of finding some interesting 'different' dinners I can make.

So I start.

Tonight, I won't be making such a difficult meal. My daughter is asking me to make her spaghetti, so I bought a can of Hunt's traditional Spaghetti sauce and some Parmesan cheese and that is what I will be having tonight...:)

Diana

Dragon Star
2006-Jul-25, 05:52 PM
ToSeeked. (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?t=33976&highlight=Food+Thread) yourself basically:p

Titana
2006-Jul-25, 09:09 PM
ToSeeked. (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?t=33976&highlight=Food+Thread) yourself basically:p

I knew that thread was there, but sense it was kind of dead I thought I would start another one....;)

BTW, you did not say what you were having.....:D

Diana

Tinaa
2006-Jul-25, 09:50 PM
Grilled steak, baked potatoes, grilled zucchini and sliced fresh homegrown tomatoes.

Swift
2006-Jul-25, 10:07 PM
I believe we are having left over Chicken Piccata (http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_22319,00.html) from a Giada De Laurentiis cookbook.

tkingdoll
2006-Jul-25, 10:33 PM
Am I allowed to link to my blog or is that considered spamming? I'm not selling anything, honest!

I only ask because it fits the question in the OP so well, my blog is a photo and description of my dinner, every day.

Here it is: www.seemydinners.com. I get requests for recipes pretty often, so if there's anything you fancy for a 'different' dinner, I'd be happy to help.

Eric Vaxxine
2006-Jul-26, 12:29 AM
Unlike Titana, I dont buy, but make my own sauces. With Italian, brown meat, cook onions and garlic seperately, use lots of tomato puree after adding onion/garlic to meat.
And, Olive oil cooks at lower temp than other oils.

Tonight? Red Thai curry paste (cooked until it goes BROWN, vital) fish sauce, diced chicken , (pork, beef or prawns) and veggies, bamboo strips, green beans, lots of sweet basil (not regular basil) coconut milk and palm sugar to taste. Serve with boiled rice. It takes 24.3 mins to make.
Share liberally with others.

Titana
2006-Jul-26, 01:55 AM
I believe we are having left over Chicken Piccata (http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_22319,00.html) from a Giada De Laurentiis cookbook.

Now, that looks pretty tasty. The site that you linked to is cool, has lots of recipes......;)

Titana

Titana
2006-Jul-26, 02:02 AM
Am I allowed to link to my blog or is that considered spamming? I'm not selling anything, honest!

I only ask because it fits the question in the OP so well, my blog is a photo and description of my dinner, every day.

Here it is: www.seemydinners.com. I get requests for recipes pretty often, so if there's anything you fancy for a 'different' dinner, I'd be happy to help.

Watercress soup with a swirl of olive oil, plus bacon sandwiches on crusty bloomer.......sounds interesting. I will definitely check in every now and then to see what you got new...........;)

Titana

Titana
2006-Jul-26, 02:05 AM
Unlike Titana, I dont buy, but make my own sauces. With Italian, brown meat, cook onions and garlic seperately, use lots of tomato puree after adding onion/garlic to meat.
And, Olive oil cooks at lower temp than other oils.

Oh, I make my own sauce too, just that today is a lazy day for me....;)

Titana

ToSeek
2006-Jul-26, 03:15 AM
Peanut butter crackers and Oreo cookies. (Okay, I was at a lecture at the Smithsonian and didn't get home until 10 pm. I usually do better.)

Titana
2006-Jul-26, 03:15 PM
Today, I will be making chicken and rice soup. (another one of my daughters favorites. It is also very tasty and very simple to make).

I just boil the chicken with salt garlic and onion (I usually put in a small but hole onion so that once the chicken is cooked I can take the onion out) until well done. In a separate pan I fry the rice in a bit of oil until medium brown. Once the rice is brown I throw in one can of tomato sauce with the rice and let it fry for a couple of minutes (stirring constantly). Once the rice and tomato sauce is fried I throw it (not actually throw it, but you know what I mean...:D) in the chicken that is obviously in the chicken broth. Finally I just crush a bit of cilantro seed put in a touch of oregano and a cube of chicken broth and there you go Chicken and rice soup.......;)

Titana

ToSeek
2006-Jul-26, 06:26 PM
Now I'm hungry....

Titana
2006-Jul-26, 10:09 PM
Now I'm hungry....

:D

Titana

tkingdoll
2006-Jul-26, 11:50 PM
I just had dinner paid for by my husband's boss in a very nice restaurant. It's not every day you get free foie gras. I also remembered that fois gras is illegal in some states in the USA, which annoyed me, even though I don't live there.

Titana
2006-Jul-27, 01:21 AM
Some animal rights organizations regard the production method as cruel because it involves force-feeding the birds through a funnel. So yes, Foie gras production is illegal in several jurisdictions.....;)

Diana

Roy Batty
2006-Jul-27, 09:16 AM
Yay, protect the Foie Gras bird! :D

I'm not sure what I'm having for dinner today. Either Curry or Pasta depending on how I feel :)

mahesh
2006-Jul-27, 09:32 AM
Yay, protect the Foie Gras bird! :D

...because the Hungarians / Chinese won't do it....:silenced:

Eric Vaxxine
2006-Jul-27, 09:33 AM
Oh, I make my own sauce too, just that today is a lazy day for me....;)

Titana

Sorry Titana, that was a bit presumptive of me to assume you buy everything pre med ... er ... pre-made.

Eric Vaxxine
2006-Jul-27, 09:40 AM
Salad today ... Mixed Lettuce's, peppers, grated carrot, olives and kidney beans. Tuna flakes and Jarlsberg cheese. Herbs from the garden, Oregano and Basil mostly. Mixed with some Sundried-tomato infused olive oil.

Ronald Brak
2006-Jul-27, 09:41 AM
Broccoli, carrots, baby corn, and snow peas mixed with chick peas and pieces of flesh from a dead turkey with a sauce make from spices, starch and water.

America is a great country. Every now and then they must overproduce turkeys so they send container loads over here and we buy it for $2 or so a kilo retail. Yum-yum! But we only seem to get the legs. I wonder which country they send the other parts to?

Tog
2006-Jul-27, 09:59 AM
Not really tonight's meal exactly, but quick and simple.

Get one of the rotisserie (sp?) herb roasted chickens from the grocery store deli counter. Take it home and peel off strips of it. Served in a bowl over rice with chicken gravy. Works well with broccoli too.

Best sandwich ever: Turkey breast with a bit of mayo/mustard, ultra thin sliced roma tomato, and cream havarti cheese. Just havarti, not that stuff with the dill flecks in it. For best flavor, enjoy with a cola.

tkingdoll
2006-Jul-27, 12:44 PM
Some animal rights organizations regard the production method as cruel because it involves force-feeding the birds through a funnel. So yes, Foie gras production is illegal in several jurisdictions.....;)

Diana

Yes, I'm aware of the method, but it's hardly more cruel than the intensive farming methods that get a Big Mac to the table.

Titana
2006-Jul-27, 02:54 PM
I will be having fried chicken today....(chicken again...:shifty: ) I will just fry some chicken and make a simple macaroni salad on the side. Just the clasical macaroni salad with mayonnaise a bit of vinegar, mustard, salt, pepper. But instead of adding celery like most people do, I like to add mixed vegetables and a bit of green pepper.....;)

Titana

Ronald Brak
2006-Jul-27, 03:17 PM
Yes, I'm aware of the method, but it's hardly more cruel than the intensive farming methods that get a Big Mac to the table.

A lot of meat in U.S. Big Macs comes from Australia and we treat our cows a bit better than those ducks. I don't know if our cows are truely happy, but for the most part they seem contented.

(And we do produce beef that is better than what's in McDonald's hamburgers. If McDonald's wants to use the cheapest beef in their burgers that's their own affair.)

tkingdoll
2006-Jul-27, 05:43 PM
A lot of meat in U.S. Big Macs comes from Australia and we treat our cows a bit better than those ducks. I don't know if our cows are truely happy, but for the most part they seem contented.

I've read a few things about intensive farming methods that are far more unpalatable than fois gras, but I shan't derail this pleasant dinner thread with a discussion on animal farming ethics :)

ToSeek
2006-Jul-27, 08:44 PM
A lot of meat in U.S. Big Macs comes from Australia

Urban legend (http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/f/foreignbeef.htm) (at least so far as Big Macs are concerned - apparently other burger chains do most of the importing).

ToSeek
2006-Jul-27, 08:45 PM
I'm having dinner at TGIFriday's tonight. ;)

Eric Vaxxine
2006-Jul-27, 10:39 PM
Actually I just went for potatoes, but the kind used in making vodka. I'll have an ethical bran breakfast.

Roy Batty
2006-Jul-28, 12:32 AM
I wimped out & went for pasta instead of curry in the end, using a jar of red pesto type sauce (I do normally make my own or mix!). Just in case you were all wondering.
And yes, It was me who bruised my arm;)

ToSeek
2006-Jul-28, 03:43 AM
"Grownup macaroni and cheese" at TGIFriday's: chicken breast on mac and cheese with ham, onions, and another vegetable or two, and a tangy sauce. I highly recommend it.

Ronald Brak
2006-Jul-28, 05:11 AM
Urban legend (at least so far as Big Macs are concerned - apparently other burger chains do most of the importing).

Sorry, I knew America bought Australian beef for hamburgers and I did think that a lot of it was bought by McDonalds. But to me Big Mac just means American hamburger, so I could easily be mistaken.

Ronald Brak
2006-Jul-28, 05:12 AM
Well it's breakfast time for me now. (Yes, I slept in.) Time to throw another U.S. turkey leg in the microwave. Delicious!

jrkeller
2006-Jul-28, 11:32 AM
I had a turkey burger last night. Tonight I don't know. Going out with the ex-wife, so I'll probably have a salad.

Titana
2006-Jul-28, 02:11 PM
I am invited to a chinese buffet restaurant tonight, so I won't be making nothing at home. (of course my daughter is going too).....:)

I have been there a couple of times before and the food is execellent. I just love their Mongolian beef........

Titana

Titana
2006-Jul-31, 03:50 PM
Beef tacos today...! Just the typical taco with beef lettuce cheese and a bit of sour cream.......;)

Titana

The skeptic
2006-Aug-01, 08:32 AM
Not exactly 'dinner', I know...But I've just finished a stonking breakfast of, bacon, eggs and fried bread!!

Sweety
2006-Aug-07, 11:03 AM
Nothing Today is my fasting

Tinaa
2006-Aug-07, 11:56 AM
I think I'm going to grill some shrimp tonight and serve it with rice and some kind of veggie. Maybe with a few fresh sliced tomatoes on the side.

Titana
2006-Aug-07, 03:25 PM
Probably just going to have ham sandwiches today.....sheesh, I did not have time to go to the supermarket yesterday to pick up some meat or something....:wall:

Titana

Swift
2006-Aug-07, 03:47 PM
Yesterday, I made marinated chicken thighs on the grill, the marinade is my own mix (mostly BBQ sauce, a little salad dressing, some lime juice, a little maple syrup, bunch of spices) and my wife made some red skin potatoes and a green bean and roasted corn salad that was real good.