PDA

View Full Version : A question; what type of lighting would interfere least...

A Song Of Distant Earth
2003-Apr-18, 03:34 PM
...with the eye's nightvision? I know that red light is probably the colour to use, but would there be any difference between using a regular red-coloured lamp, a red neon or halogen lamp, etc? Also I'd like to know whether the eye's night vision can truly remain completely undisturbed, or whether there's always some interference regardless of what lighting you use. Thanks in advance.

Argos
2003-Apr-18, 04:22 PM
All I can say is that the light intensity, whatever the wavelenght, must be kept as low as reasonably possible. I found a site which can explain it.

http://www.google.com.br/search?q=cache:x-bLSXVPrCQC:www.psych.ucalgary.ca/CourseNotes/f02/PSYC469/7-Retina.pdf+retina+sensitivity+light+intensity&hl=pt&ie=UTF-8

kilopi
2003-Apr-18, 04:55 PM
Yeah, I don't think I've ever seen red flood lights in use at star parties, but who knows...

gethen
2003-Apr-18, 09:00 PM
I was actually about to say that maybe using red lights for exterior lighting would be a good idea in that they should interfere less with skyviewing, and then I remembered that there are lots of "red light districts" out there.....

Reacher
2003-Apr-19, 06:32 PM
Lol, thats a little lame, you know, Gethen...
I dont make a habit of using the word "lame", its more an american term, and i wonder how it got such a meaning.

I've never seen red used either, so far as i can remember.

Little help has been provided for he who i shall refer to as "the guy with the long-winded name," other than from Argos and that was only minimal, and im sorry to say that i can't offer any either.

David Hall
2003-Apr-19, 07:11 PM
I think the only thing we can say is that it doesn't really matter what kind of lamp it is, as long as it's red and not too bright. Personally, I usually use a small flashlight with small discs of red paper or plastic between the bulb and lens. I like it because I can adjust the brightness simply by using more/less layers of red paper. Others go to greater lengths and build red LED flashlights and stuff. whatever works for you. Halogen is probably too bright for most purposes I think.

I'm not sure how much it actually affects night vision, but red is of course the least invasive. You should probably use the light as infrequently as possible though and don't shine it directly in anybody's eyes.

nebularain
2003-Apr-19, 11:39 PM
Little help has been provided for he who i shall refer to as "the guy with the long-winded name,"

*Cough* That's "she" I believe. :oops:

Well, if no one knows the answer, one can always do a little experiment. Grab some different red lights or red filters to go over the lights or other things like that, go outside at night, and test each out with comparison to night vision.

Just a thought.

David Hall
2003-Apr-20, 01:54 AM
*Cough* That's "she" I believe. :oops:

Is it? Well, I guess I'll just have to update my list (http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=75862#75862) again, won't I? :-D

Reacher
2003-Apr-22, 12:40 PM
OH!!! well, i can hardly be blamed... society has conditioned me this way! i think everyones a male!

Apologies, Long-winded-named-woman..

Now, lets just forget that this ever happened... :)

although, it sounds like something i would do... at least i didnt do it in person... :roll: