PDA

View Full Version : no one alive will ever see this again

fatkansas
2006-Jul-29, 09:30 PM
hello
i received this e-mail a couple of days ago. its content is proclaiming that next month (august 2006) mars will make its closest ever recorded approach to earth. didn't this actually occur last year (august 2005)?
thanks
fatkansas

Tim Thompson
2006-Jul-29, 09:56 PM
Didn't this actually occur last year (august 2005)?
Actually, it ocurred in August, 2003 (http://www.shallowsky.com/mars.html). During last year's opposition, the 2003 descriptions started flying around the internet. Now it it the beast that will never die.

astromark
2006-Jul-29, 10:14 PM
Mars is at this time as far from Earth as it can be. Every two years we catch up and pass on the inside of Mars. The next close approach of Mars will be in 2007. Then it will
( a ) Fill the sky like a full moon.
( b ) Pass almost unnoticed as usually.

From my home in New Zealand in the early evening at this time of the year if looking straight up. There is Antares, The rival of Mars. It is the hart of Scorpios. Why it is called this ? because it appears red as does mars.
Mars is at present so near the sun in our sky it is difficult to even find.

Mars is in a stable orbit as is Earth. Its time the cleaners swept up this silly story and dumped it where it belongs. In the trash.

Uranut
2006-Jul-29, 10:50 PM
The Return of The Son of The Thing That Wouldn't Die, Part II, The Sequel

RussT
2006-Jul-29, 11:04 PM
MAYBE...Mars has as one of its moons, a capture, very small 'rogue' black hole...so this is a time dilation thing

R.A.F.
2006-Jul-29, 11:42 PM
Actually, it ocurred in August, 2003 (http://www.shallowsky.com/mars.html). During last year's opposition, the 2003 descriptions started flying around the internet. Now it it the beast that will never die.

Like "wack a mole"...it just won't go away...

The BA wrote about it last year...and in 2003. (http://www.badastronomy.com/bad/news/marsattacks2005.html)

mickal555
2006-Jul-30, 05:11 AM
Mars is at this time as far from Earth as it can be. Every two years we catch up and pass on the inside of Mars. The next close approach of Mars will be in 2007. Then it will
( a ) Fill the sky like a full moon.

Actully it'll just be a really tiny disk nacked eye, it'll only look like the full moon does nacked eye, through a telescope. ;)

(just to clear that up)

Chuck
2006-Jul-30, 05:25 AM
Carry an umbrella outside during August. Martian canal water will be splashing our way.

astromark
2006-Jul-30, 09:02 AM
No, no, no, It will fill the sky and be as large as the full moon. Its gravity will tear the oceans from Earth. It might pass very near the moon and destroy it.

None of this is true.

And if you cant see the foolish nonsense in what I am saying. Please, please try harder. . . . . I was joking

Millions of dollars and many professional astronomers. Hundreds of amateurs like me are constantly watching for any rouge Earth crossing asteroid. Mars is not what we are looking for. Mars is in a stable orbit that brings it nearer than it is right now to planet Earth. This only happens because we are orbiting the sun quicker than Mars is. Through the ward observatory's telescope the image of Mars never did get any bigger than a pea. Some detail was visible. It never has been visible with the human eye as anything other than a dot.

This is the sillest use of the w.w.w.

mickal555
2006-Jul-30, 11:55 AM
No, no, no, It will fill the sky and be as large as the full moon. Its gravity will tear the oceans from Earth. It might pass very near the moon and destroy it.

None of this is true.

And if you cant see the foolish nonsense in what I am saying. Please, please try harder. . . . . I was joking

I thought you might've been but It's hard to tell sarcasm in writing without this friendly fellow ;)

:p