PDA

View Full Version : Steve Wright in the afternoon

Jakenorrish
2006-Jul-31, 03:03 PM
Hi all,

it occure to me that this highly popular radio show in the UK has regular contributions from an astrologer. I wince if ever I'm unfortunate enough to hear it. I have written an e mail to steve wright requesting that he balance this out by taking regular contributions from an astronomer.

I'm not suggesting he take the Astrologer off. I think that if an Astronomer were also on his show regularly that most of the listeners are intelligent enough to believe facts than fairytales, however it is very important as the BBC is a public service broadcaster in the UK, and should be reporting on the stars and planets factually if they are going to indulge in the utter baloney that is astrology.

The Astrologer takes phonecalls from people and issues advice sometimes I mean how irresponsible is that?!

What do the rest of you think?

Mellow
2006-Aug-01, 09:53 AM
Agreed, Perhaps I should go on the show, because I can give people advice based upon the coulour of their morning constitutionals.

captain swoop
2006-Aug-01, 12:36 PM
The Astrologer is balanced by the weekly 'Ask Elvis' feature, just phone or email an Astronomy question in to Elvis he will always give a good answer.

Jakenorrish
2006-Aug-01, 01:35 PM
Yep, Ask Elvis is a darn good feature.

I'm just being pedantic I know, but I HATE Astrology!!!!!!!!!

captain swoop
2006-Aug-03, 11:51 AM
I dont think Elvis has been stumped yet! and he gets asked some weird stuff.

mid
2006-Aug-07, 02:08 PM
Steve Wright in the Afternoon?

Quick Marty, we've got to get you back to 1985, or terrible things could happen!

Seriously, they would be much better off killing the whole show than just the astrologer bit.

captain swoop
2006-Aug-08, 01:05 PM
why? its my fave radio show. I like Steve Wright.
what would your replace it with?

mid
2006-Aug-08, 01:57 PM
I'm probably being unfair, then. I hated the man and his unconvincing mateyness even when he ruled the airwaves. He's but a short step away from Dave Lee Travis.

captain swoop
2006-Aug-09, 03:39 PM
I have to say I prefer Ken Bruce in the mornings and Mike hardings Folk show on Wed evenings

Jakenorrish
2006-Aug-16, 01:48 PM
I like Mark Radcliffe in the evenings. Heck you know I'm aging as until recently I was still listening to radio 1. Anyway, it looks like my email to him did no good whatsoever, but it made me feel better at the time. I must have been angry that day!

captain swoop
2006-Aug-16, 02:11 PM
Mark Radcliffe is far better on his nigh time show tnah he was on his Radio 1 daytime show. Plus he has Noddy Holder on as a regular co presenter.

Jakenorrish
2006-Aug-16, 02:55 PM
His radio 1 show was a classic! I used to look forward to 2 o'clock each day. His leaving was the only reason I started to listen to Steve Wright.

captain swoop
2006-Aug-17, 12:34 PM
classic?
this is some previously, unused form of the word 'classic' with which I am not familier

Jakenorrish
2006-Aug-17, 12:58 PM
Well, the legions of fans running websites devoted to them would beg to differ, but it is an acquired taste Captain!

WaxRubiks
2006-Aug-17, 01:19 PM
when mark and lard were on at 22:00 back in 1994 I used to wait all day, and then the moment they came on and played some decent music, I could have a cigarette. I only smoked 2 a day. Don't smoke now though.

Jakenorrish
2006-Aug-17, 01:31 PM
I loved their shows. There is a 'mark and lard webring' with some of the sites carrying lots of their sketches and comedy stuff. Search it on Google and go reminisce!

Lianachan
2006-Aug-17, 11:15 PM
Mark and Lard used to be hilarious. I remember they were covering for somebody else for a while (a week or so) in a slot before a load of dance music. They ended their show one day with an absolutely fantastic DIY/dance music parody with sawing and hammer noises. I almost put the car in a ditch laughing at that.

captain swoop
2006-Aug-18, 01:38 PM
but they werent funny! it was all so predicatable and derivative!

Now when I was a lad we had real funny DJs

Kenny Everett anyone?

Jakenorrish
2006-Aug-18, 01:46 PM
You saying that Kenny Everett wasn't derivative?! His radio programme was groundbreaking in that it brought comedy onto the airwaves, but the humour (although hilarious) wasn't always original Captain. As for the TV shows he did, I have very happy memories of them, but again, the originality was in the technology. His humour was innuendo based, and often very derivative.

I do agree that all good DJ's these days seem to owe him and John Peel quite a debt...... Mark and Lard included. Listen to Radio 1 at 2.00 in the afternoon now. Even if you hated them, you have to admit they were genius compared to the bland nonsense of Colin and Edith....

Jakenorrish
2006-Aug-18, 01:49 PM
Mark and Lard used to be hilarious. I remember they were covering for somebody else for a while (a week or so) in a slot before a load of dance music. They ended their show one day with an absolutely fantastic DIY/dance music parody with sawing and hammer noises. I almost put the car in a ditch laughing at that.

I remember that. They were on before Pete Tong and called their slot 'the non-essential collection' - How sad am I for remembering it?!