PDA

View Full Version : Astrology, Horoscope Ads on BA site

Blue Fire
2006-Aug-01, 08:28 PM
Okay, I guess ya just gotta pay the bills somehow, but what's up with all the astrology and horoscope ads from google appearing at the top and right of the main page?

Do the folks at google actually know where they are advertising? I'm curious, how many folks that hit the main BA page do you think will check out these ads?

Oooops, I just did a refresh and they all changed to something else. Must be they cycle, eh?

Anyway, I WAS going to say How Ironic - astrology ads on the BA site! I'm guessing I may have to eat my words at the request of responses to this post, but what the Hey, sometimes my words just taste good with a bit of salt added.;)

HenrikOlsen
2006-Aug-01, 08:38 PM
Basically, the google ads reflect the words found on the page, so the threads debunking astrology and horoscopes are in a nice twist sponsored by the horoscope sellers, threads debunking the moon hoax crowd are sponsored by the moon hoax believers and so on, in nice symmetry.

It's been discussed at length in About BAUT.

Blue Fire
2006-Aug-01, 09:26 PM
Okay, thanks. Feel free to delete this thread now.

Chuck
2006-Aug-03, 02:04 AM
We should all click on astrology ads so astrologers can help to pay for this site. Then they'd be doing something useful.

The Bad Astronomer
2006-Aug-03, 04:54 AM
It's against Google's rules to just click away on ads, so please don't do that!

jkmccrann
2006-Dec-02, 04:24 PM
It's against Google's rules to just click away on ads, so please don't do that!

Its against Google's rules? But that's only if its a concerted co-ordinated effort isn't it? A community reaction to the ads would surely not invoke that sort of label would it?

It would also be unlikely to be sustained for any length of time.

Chuck
2006-Dec-07, 05:16 AM
Google could withdraw their ads from this site if they think they're being abused. That would mean no legitimate ads and no more advertising income for the site.

Spacewriter
2006-Dec-13, 03:27 AM
I have google ads on my site (my blog, mostly) and I can "kind of" filter out ads by astrologers, etc. But, they DO slip through. I look at them as a necessary evil -- and yeah,if somebody clicks on them, I get a few cents.

Probably BA faces the same thing.

Occam
2006-Dec-18, 07:23 PM
All ads are blocked on my browser - nya nya nya :dance:

saberscorpx
2007-Feb-09, 11:41 PM
I admire the passionate and thorough spanking BA gives astrology.

Nevertheless, I've conceded two practical- if peripheral- benefits of astrology/daily horoscopes;
It's often many people's first and prolific exposure to astronomical terms.
And the 12 classic zodiac constellations are usually at least listed in proper order. Good reinforcement for learning ones way around the ecliptic.

Realizing (or wanting to realize) these astronomy-based benefits is another matter.

Nice place you've got here, btw.

Stephen Saber
PAC/Astronomical League
http://www.astronomyblogs.com/member/saberscorpx/

michael9
2007-May-09, 04:55 AM
Hi, I totally agree, astrology is nice to have to let off steam when things are crazy.The future is unpredictable. I’m always the High Priestess, when reading astrology, horoscope, when having them read…and hear too.

Unregistered
2008-Sep-23, 06:24 AM
hi
I don't agree with what you wrote really....
please explain further a bit more for me ;D

thanks