PDA

View Full Version : Almost a Darwin Award

Sticks
2006-Aug-02, 07:12 AM
This could have been a contender (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/humber/5234552.stm) :lol:

jt-3d
2006-Aug-02, 07:51 AM
Hmm, an eggcup doesn't sound like much. Maybe there were lots of fumes from the other stuff he had already tried. At any rate he would be inelligible for a full darwin because, at 75, he is assumed to have already done all the reproducing he is going to do. He probably could have got honorable mention. He's probably still eligible for that but I think it was more not having adequate ventilation, than the gas itself.

ToSeek
2006-Aug-02, 03:34 PM
I think I've been to Scun-thorpe*.... (Spent a summer as an exchange student with a family in Lincoln many years ago.)

*Without the hyphen, I get censored due to four certain letters in the middle.

Blue Fire
2006-Aug-02, 03:57 PM
Don't know about the Darwin award, but during my teaching years way back at the dawn of computers for the masses, I ran across and news item where some neighbors called the police to investigate a gunshot from the house next door. It seems an older gentleman got frustrated with his computer and let it have it right between the registers of the CPU with a .357 magnum pistol.
No charges were brought against him because there wasn't any local law against killing computers in cold blood in your own home with a firearm.

Moose
2006-Aug-02, 04:02 PM

*lol* And there's that rule about no faking or starring out swearwords. Hee hee hee. :D

Moose
2006-Aug-02, 04:03 PM
No charges were brought against him because there wasn't any local law against killing computers in cold blood in your own home with a firearm.

Not even Discharging a Firearm within city limits?

NEOWatcher
2006-Aug-02, 04:07 PM
Could've used "That City" ;)

SeanF
2006-Aug-02, 06:22 PM
On another board I frequent, a recent discussion about places to eat in downtown Chicage contained numerous references to the "Hanthingy Tower."

Yes, the board software was automatically replacing those four letters with "thingy."

:D

Swift
2006-Aug-02, 06:29 PM
I've been to the Han-Male-Chicken Tower in Chicago, very nice place. ;)

The Backroad Astronomer
2006-Aug-03, 03:47 AM
sounds like an episode of home improvement

Sticks
2006-Aug-03, 12:55 PM
Here is another honourable mention (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/5241342.stm)

HenrikOlsen
2006-Aug-03, 06:02 PM
That one reminded me of an incidence in Denmark several years ago, during a flareup in a war between a couple of bikergangs(I believe it was Bulls―t1 and Hells Angels) for control over drugsales, where an army expert was called in to testify about the power of the Carl Gustav (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Gustav_recoilless_rifle) recoilless rifle produced as evidence and he realized that it was loaded and could have fired at any time during handling.

Denmark may be a country of nice people, but when we do have gangwars, the word war is appropriate.

1) The word is used as a proper name here, not as an explentive, so I hope it's acceptable.

WaxRubiks
2006-Aug-04, 08:30 AM
as to the OP, I would have thought that it was perfectly reasonable to use petrol to remove glue. I think that it is ** that an eggcup of the stuff would produce enough fumes to create an explosion. IIRC he was advised to use cleaning fluids by the shop he went to for advice, when this useless advice transpired to be useless he then use the petrol(which he should have use in the first place) and the combination of the cleaning fluids and the petrol probably gave off the fumes.
So unless I am wrong it should be the shop adviser who should get the Darwin prize.

He said: "The place for petrol is in motor vehicles."
and this advice is pathetic, next he will be saying that gin is for drinking not cleaning the silver.

JohnD
2006-Aug-04, 05:30 PM
Do you get 'Mythbusters' on your TV? Two US guys, or rather one guy and a moustache with a small bald man attached. They tried to ignite petrol fumes with first a mobile phone and then static electricty. The first was a failure, the second - also a failure! Until they introduced a Leyden jar into the circuit, for more spark. Then it went caboom!

But it was how they loaded the test container (a plexiglass box the sixe of a car) with petrol fumes. They used a air powered spray gun, just like you would use to spray paint. They also experimented to find the best spray pressure and volume for a stoichiometric, most explosive mixture of fuel and air. It wasn't easy and they used a LOT of fuel. With that in mind, I really don't believe that an egg cup full is enough, unless it's in a shoe box.

Jhn

hhEb09'1
2006-Aug-04, 07:03 PM
*Without the hyphen, I get censored due to four certain letters in the middle.Really??

S****horpe

PS: how about that

Fazor
2009-Jan-29, 03:27 PM
This thread's been dead a while; necromancy in the name of spareing forum clutter on an identical topic

Here's a follow-up on a story from a few weeks ago that turns from a typical fireworks/explosives accident to a near Darwin award. Sorry kid, better luck next try. I'm guessing there will be a next try.

Teenager loses leg and hand to explosive. (http://www.wpxi.com/news/18583061/detail.html)
Although he had tried to tell police the explosive was in a backpack and that he was the target of some attack by unknown person(s), it had been fairly obvious since the story first broke that he was lying. No here's the part that propels him into the halls of a Darwinian attempt:

The boy kept lighting and extinguishing the fuse and when it wouldn't go out, police said he put the firework between his thighs and covered it with his right hand in hopes of muffling the explosion.

And, for those of you like myself that thought maybe the "teen" was too young to know better... turns out, the "boy" was 17. Again, better luck next time.

edit: just thought I'd add that personally, I'd rather try to muffel an explosion with my mouth than my crotch. Maybe that's just me.

NEOWatcher
2009-Jan-29, 04:16 PM
This thread's been dead a while; necromancy in the name of spareing forum clutter on an identical topic

Works for me. Besides, Sticks started it with a second story anyway.

Here's a follow-up on a story...
I suspect the reporter has a lot more quotes that weren't reported and a much bigger story.
He was at his grandmother's house, yet the mother calls it "the house where he was staying". Sounds like there's some family issues involved.

The previous story mentions the father is going to find out where he got the dynamite from.... I would hope so.

I hope there's more followup. There's got to be some interesting thought processes going on. Yes; panic is an option, but the "kept lighting" part has me curious.

samkent
2009-Jan-29, 04:29 PM
At least he won't be breeding.

WaxRubiks
2009-Jan-29, 05:58 PM
I don't know if he can breed now or not, but he could be cloned...

Arneb
2009-Jan-29, 06:47 PM
I've always wondered what is so funny about the Darwin awards. I somehow don't get it. So we laugh at the untimely and sometimes very painful and agonising deaths of people whose lives, dreams, loves, competencies, errors, mistakes we know nothing about, right? We actually applaud their deaths as "good for the gene pool" because it was, through negligence or lack of intellectual competence, wholly or in part their fault? Wow. What do you think we should do with the two hapless survivors of these stories? Shall we be content with the fact that they "won't breed" anymore? Or should we wish they had been more thorough? Should a responsible member of the species worthy of procreation bring a job sadly left unfinished to its end?

I am impressed. We are such great community here, and this is a such great subject for a science board where we promote those eternal values of rationality, tolerance, critical thinking and honesty, right?

IIRC, wanting to have people dead or sterile in order to improve the gene pool is reminiscent of quite a different ideology.

I don't want to make any ad hominem attacks here, but the fact that the OP (having become a mod in the meantime, responsible for enforcing the rules and values here) is a confessing Christian adds to the taste this has for me. With due respect to the board rules and the OP, let me remark that one has to expect to be held to the standards one confesses to.

Don't get me wrong. I can laugh at a little black humour. But with this kind of content, the question of the admissibility of this board as an educational resource for children is as virulent as if there was swearing here that would make a sailor blush.

OK, I'll refrain from ranting. Let me just say that I find this thread unpleasant and tasteless in the extreme. The fact that it's old doesn't change that.

NEOWatcher
2009-Jan-29, 06:58 PM
OK, I'll refrain from ranting. Let me just say that I find this thread unpleasant and tasteless in the extreme. The fact that it's old doesn't change that.
Rant heard. You brought up some of the same discussion as the other Darwin threads which have been debated quite a bit.

Yes; it is black humor and I doubt anyone would wish this on anyone, and probably do feel bad about it. But; these are situations that aren't exactly accidents, aren't exactly from a lack of knowledge, but seem to go against the very fabric of human nature.

JohnD
2009-Jan-29, 07:09 PM
I think I've been to Scun-thorpe*.... (Spent a summer as an exchange student with a family in Lincoln many years ago.)

To Seek,
Did you hear about Prince Charles' visit to S****horpe?
He turned up with a fox's fur on his head.
Apparently, he told his valet that he was due to visit the town that day, and the valet said, "Wear the fox hat?"

(Say it aloud)

John

Ara Pacis
2009-Jan-29, 07:30 PM
I've always wondered what is so funny about the Darwin awards. I somehow don't get it. So we laugh at the untimely and sometimes very painful and agonising deaths of people whose lives, dreams, loves, competencies, errors, mistakes we know nothing about, right? We actually applaud their deaths as "good for the gene pool" because it was, through negligence or lack of intellectual competence, wholly or in part their fault? Wow. What do you think we should do with the two hapless survivors of these stories? Shall we be content with the fact that they "won't breed" anymore? Or should we wish they had been more thorough? Should a responsible member of the species worthy of procreation bring a job sadly left unfinished to its end?

I am impressed. We are such great community here, and this is a such great subject for a science board where we promote those eternal values of rationality, tolerance, critical thinking and honesty, right?

IIRC, wanting to have people dead or sterile in order to improve the gene pool is reminiscent of quite a different ideology.

I don't want to make any ad hominem attacks here, but the fact that the OP (having become a mod in the meantime, responsible for enforcing the rules and values here) is a confessing Christian adds to the taste this has for me. With due respect to the board rules and the OP, let me remark that one has to expect to be held to the standards one confesses to.

Don't get me wrong. I can laugh at a little black humour. But with this kind of content, the question of the admissibility of this board as an educational resource for children is as virulent as if there was swearing here that would make a sailor blush.

If it's posted in the spirit of a "cautionary tale" of human hubris, then I see little problem with it, but we might want to avoid posting in the spirit of schadenfreude. It's also a metaphor come to life: "hoisted by his own petard."

I assume you are referring to the ideology of eugenics. Depending on interpretation, it may not violate the tenets of the religion you refer to.

mugaliens
2009-Jan-29, 09:18 PM
"Blew up his house?"

So much for headlines... The text says, "The explosion blew out a front bay window and caused structural damage to an inside wall."

Whoopie. Big difference from the Hollywood headlines.

Fazor
2009-Jan-29, 09:25 PM
I've always wondered what is so funny about the Darwin awards.
I perosnally find it impossible to not find it funny when people do things like sitting on a lit stick of dynamite to try to prevent its explosion from doing damage. Particularly given the lead-in that he was playing with it by repeatedly lighting and extinguishing the fuse.

Death isn't something I wish for for anyone, even the people I hate (of course, again, in this case the kid lived). But some of the actions of people are funny regardless of the outcome.

I do understand people who can't find humor in situations that result in death. Differences in opinion, I suppose.

Argos
2009-Jan-29, 09:28 PM
Any chance that the kid suffers from some kind of mental disorder?

NEOWatcher
2009-Jan-29, 09:33 PM
I would assume not, because the media tends to downplay stupidity and try to put in some emotional connection. I would surely think it would have been mentioned.
Then I would say it's not funny, and there is some negligence somewhere, possibly the grandmother.

Fazor
2009-Jan-29, 09:34 PM

If so, it's extreemely and grossly irresponcable of the articles (both from when it originally happened, and now the follow-ups) to fail to mention it. That said, with the common lackof information in articles, it would certianly be possible. Doesn't look like it though.

Salty
2009-Jan-29, 10:00 PM
The old man and his eggcup of fuel...reminds me:

About my second or third job after I separated from the Corps, was a car rental place. We also rented trucks. These were six wheeled trucks with saddle gas tanks. It was my job to check the fuel level. Instead of taking the keys and seeing what the gas gauge of each truck showed, it had become my habit to go from truck to truck, looking into the saddle tank of each one. If I couldn't see fuel in there, I would refuel the truck(s).
One morning, without thinking, and while smoking with my cup of coffee, I put the cup down, and went out to check the saddle tanks. I leaned over at the first truck, took the cap off, and fuel was right up to the top of the neck of the inlet. About that time, something made me look at the lit cigarette hanging out of my mouth.
I straightened up, slammed the cap on the neck and screwed it down.
I found out later, it's not the liquid fuel, but the fumes that are ignited. I think the old man had enough fuel for fumes.

Ilya
2009-Jan-30, 02:41 PM
A very common (possibly MOST common) source of Darwin Award is someone checking the level of fuel in a dark container, and using a lighter as a light source.

korjik
2009-Jan-30, 07:54 PM
That one reminded me of an incidence in Denmark several years ago, during a flareup in a war between a couple of bikergangs(I believe it was Bulls―t1 and Hells Angels) for control over drugsales, where an army expert was called in to testify about the power of the Carl Gustav (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Gustav_recoilless_rifle) recoilless rifle produced as evidence and he realized that it was loaded and could have fired at any time during handling.

Denmark may be a country of nice people, but when we do have gangwars, the word war is appropriate.

1) The word is used as a proper name here, not as an explentive, so I hope it's acceptable.

You have gang wars with anti-tank weapons? At least here in the states we have limits to that sort of thing.

:)

Arneb
2009-Jan-30, 08:04 PM
The Danes undoubtedly have the limits, too, but these gangs are serious organised crime up there. They obtain and use those beasts regardless.

I often tend to be a slightest bit of a tad envious towards the Danish for their living in such a peaceful and nonviolent society where friendliness is rated very highly and interaction is usually nicely informal yet polite and respectful.

When I read these stories I am quite sobered. :(

RGClark
2009-Mar-09, 01:24 PM
On DirectTV last week was a movie(comedy) called The Darwin Awards:

The Darwin Awards.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Darwin_Awards_(film)

Bob Clark

Susannah Dingley
2009-Mar-09, 02:39 PM
This is the first time I’m viewing this thread (thanks to the latest bump) and I have to make a comment on the first story. Apologies of it’s two and a half years too late.

The man in the first story had been trying to remove gkue with every conventional solvent he knew without success. In desperation, he threw caution to the wind and experimented with a little flammable substance. It was not a large amount, just a little. He was even careful not to light a naked flame in his house. Yet something else in the house set off the explosion.

You could say that he should have known better than to carry petrol into the house. But to condemn him meriting an insane award for people discriminatedly against on account of their IQ is totally out of order!! :mad:

danscope
2009-Mar-12, 05:14 PM
Hmm, an eggcup doesn't sound like much. Maybe there were lots of fumes from the other stuff he had already tried. At any rate he would be inelligible for a full darwin because, at 75, he is assumed to have already done all the reproducing he is going to do. He probably could have got honorable mention. He's probably still eligible for that but I think it was more not having adequate ventilation, than the gas itself.

Hi,
A half cup of gasoline in a boat bilge has the explosive potential of several sticks of dynamite. This is no joke. More than just a few people have met
their end with gasoline. Do not do this. Please. The life you save may include some other innocent soul.
Dan

tdvance
2009-Mar-12, 08:27 PM
I have heard that 1 cup gasoline releases about as much energy as 5 sticks dynomite. But--how likely is an actual explosion? I recently watched a Mythbusters episode in which gasoline in a toilet with match flamed up, but no explosion. I imagine you need an optimal gas/air mixture.

Note--of all they tried, only 1/2 can of gunpowder actually exploded--but it still didn't break the ceramic or do more than minor damage to "buster".

NEOWatcher
2009-Mar-13, 01:54 PM
...I imagine you need an optimal gas/air mixture...
And a confined space.
I'm thinking of a firecracker. The powder is all wound up inside the paper and goes "boom"*, but have a flaw in that wrapper and it just hisses.

*Ok; maybe just a pop, but you can scale that up to a boom.

HenrikOlsen
2009-Mar-13, 02:38 PM
Fuel vapor/air explosion (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5rkSKT9EQ4), YouTube clip from Destroyed in seconds.
Definitely explodes. House not there after.

Fazor
2009-Mar-13, 08:20 PM
I had to watch that sin audio; were they all okay? That was beastly.

Grashtel
2009-Mar-14, 01:10 AM
I had to watch that sin audio; were they all okay? That was beastly.
According to the video five of them had to go to hospital and the worst injury was a broken leg, the fact that they were in full fire fighting gear almost certainly helped a lot.

mugaliens
2009-Mar-14, 05:05 PM
Well, that certainly was a training exercise!

How many times have we heard professionals, especially firemen, say "never use gasoline to start a fire?"

Kerosene and diesal fuel are much safer, and used alone, wouldn't have caused the explosion.

First clue that something was wrong came when the fireman said, on full audio, "I smell gas..."

:doh:

tdvance
2009-Mar-14, 06:21 PM
my dad used to break that rule all the time--till family got a gas grill! Of course, the old grill had holes rusted in it, so he invariably set the grass on fire from the dripping gasoline.

Nothing like the smell of burning gasoline to inspire a picnic!

Sticks
2009-Mar-14, 07:08 PM
Nothing like the smell of burning gasoline to inspire a picnic!

I am reminded of the quote

I love the smell of napalm in the morning

Which film was that from? :confused:

ABR.
2009-Mar-14, 07:39 PM
I am reminded of the quote

I love the smell of napalm in the morning!

Which film was that from? :confused:

Apocalypse Now

LaurelHS
2009-Mar-16, 08:37 PM
This thread reminds me of another "Almost a Darwin Award" story except it doesn't involve explosives. A guy learned the hard way that kissing a rattlesnake (http://web.archive.org/web/20071111072309/http://archives.cnn.com/2002/US/West/11/19/rattlesnake.kiss.ap/index.html) is a bad idea.

mugaliens
2009-Mar-17, 10:43 PM
Those who tempt fate...

RGClark
2009-Mar-21, 07:25 PM
On DirectTV last week was a movie(comedy) called The Darwin Awards:

The Darwin Awards.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Darwin_Awards_(film)

Bob Clark

It's coming on again on TMCw today, Saturday, at 5pm EDT, channel 545 on DirecTV, and a few other times the next few days:

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/epg/theGuide.jsp

Bob Clark