PDA

View Full Version : Podcast: A Puzzling Difference

Fraser
2006-Aug-03, 09:49 PM
Imagine looking at red houses, and sometimes you see a crow fly past. But every time you look at a blue house, there's always a crow flying right in front of the house. The crow and the house could be miles apart, so this must be impossible, right? Well, according to a new survey if you look at a quasar, you'll see a galaxy in front 25% of the time. But for gamma ray bursts, there's almost always an intervening galaxy. Even though they could be separated by billions of light years. Figure that out. Dr. Jason X. Prochaska, from the University of California, Santa Cruz speaks to me about the strange results they've found, and what could be the cause.

Read the full blog entry (http://www.universetoday.com/2006/08/03/podcast-a-puzzling-difference/)

trinitree88
2006-Aug-06, 01:02 AM
Fraser. There is evidence that long gamma ray bursts, associated with supernovae, are also associated with ejected gas. During the aftermath of supernova 1987a, speckle interferometric observations by Peter Nisenson, Costas Papaliolios, Martina Karovska, and R. Noyes, published in the Astrophysical Journal, Part 2, Letters to the Editor, vol.320, p. L15-L18...Sept. 1, 1987 "Detection of a very bright source close to the LMC supernova SN1987a"
Dubbed...Son of Supernova?...and lightly ridiculed at the time as an artifact of image processing..it clearly shows ejection of gas during the then supernova, and hence, also it's commensurate gamma ray burst. When I used this processed image from the front cover of Science News in the fall of 1992, during my astronomy talk at Vassar College(AAPT Meeting)(Parity, Pulsars and Supernova Remnants)..I too received much skepticism for referring to Peter Nisenson's et al's work. But I knew from working with him at ITEK Corp that he was an exceptionally detailed experimentalist.
The original, highly disputed image from 1987 was followed up by a second twelve years later. Title: "A Second Bright Source Detected near SN 1987a" Nisenson, Peter, Papaliolios,Costas. Astrophysical Journal Vol.518 Issue 1 pp. L29-L32 06/1999
Images taken 30 and 38 days after SN1987a were reprocessed using improved algorithms....showing a cleaner image of the original "spot"....and a new second "spot" of ejecta on the opposite side of the fireball.

When a supernova erupts, both poles emit relativistic gas jets and gamma rays in bursts. One of them emits pulsars. Scenario 2 with GRB's associated
with gas, not necessarily in a galaxy is nice. Pete.