PDA

View Full Version : On Watching Entire Series' at Once.

BigDon
2006-Aug-05, 04:50 PM
You know, I didn't really know about the series Firefly until about two months ago when a friend of mine brought the entire series, plus Serenity over and I watched the whole thing in about 4 days. Felt pretty good at the end of it all.

Did the same thing over the last weekend with the Invader Zim series and I think I hurt my brain. :doh: (Now I want to figure out how to turn the human race into soup! SOUP!!! Oops, sorry.)

GeorgeLeRoyTirebiter
2006-Aug-05, 04:56 PM
Supposedly, when a new season of "24" is released on DVD, Penn Jillette (of Penn & Teller) watches it in a single 24-hour sitting. There’s no way I’d even try that.

Ronald Brak
2006-Aug-05, 06:51 PM
I've been renting a lot of Babylon 5 DVDs and watching about 4 episodes a day. (I can rent 8 DVDs for 11 Aussie dollars.) I thought I might get tired of them if I watched too many in a week, but it doesn't seem to be a real problem.

But watching them does make me ask lots of questions. For example, they say that Babylon 5 is eight kilometers long but they also say that it is made out of only two and a half million tons of metal and has a population of quater of a million. That comes to ten tons of station per being. Even if half the mass was in the hull it would only be about 2 or 3 centimeters thick. Talk about flimsy. And if you watch how fast the station is rotating you'll see that sometimes the station rotates at about once every sixteen seconds and other times you see it rotating about once every 40 seconds. So some days you'd have a lot more gravity than on other days. What with how flimsy it's built and all, I don't see how it stops flying apart on the days they rotate it once every 16 seconds.

Then there was a guy who was breathing an atmophere that was 90% carbon dioxide and 10% "trace elements." Why did he bother to breath? What sort of chemical reactions are going on inside him to make it worthwhile? Perhaps he was only pretending to breath so the others wouldn't feel bad? Perhaps one of those trace elements was really groovey?

ToSeek
2006-Aug-05, 09:04 PM
And if you watch how fast the station is rotating you'll see that sometimes the station rotates at about once every sixteen seconds and other times you see it rotating about once every 40 seconds. So some days you'd have a lot more gravity than on other days. What with how flimsy it's built and all, I don't see how it stops flying apart on the days they rotate it once every 16 seconds.

Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, we make the Terrans happy. Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays, we make the Centauri (who come from a lighter world) happy. And on Sundays we stop the whole thing for preventative maintenance and to let everyone float for a while.

soylentgreen
2006-Aug-05, 11:16 PM
Supposedly, when a new season of "24" is released on DVD, Penn Jillette (of Penn & Teller) watches it in a single 24-hour sitting. There’s no way I’d even try that.

Yeah and with all the commercials taken out, the show ends up needing to be retitled to "18" ;)

Donnie B.
2006-Aug-06, 01:27 AM
Yeah and with all the commercials taken out, the show ends up needing to be retitled to "18" ;)Gotta eat sometime. (Not to mention certain other critical functions not usually depicted on television...)

BigDon
2006-Aug-06, 01:39 AM
Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, we make the Terrans happy. Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays, we make the Centauri (who come from a lighter world) happy. And on Sundays we stop the whole thing for preventative maintenance and to let everyone float for a while.
LOL! :clap:

(We need another smilie for LOL. This one, :lol: looks like the "farted in church" icon)

Tobin Dax
2006-Aug-06, 02:40 AM
I bought myself the 7-season set of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine for my birthday in April, and I've been slowly making my way through it. I can't do much more than a season at a time, though, without taking a break. Luckily, rewatching Battlestar Galactica episodes makes a nice change of pace.

I made it through B5 in a semester or so, by watching 4-8 episodes a weekend (mostly as I graded homeworks). It didn't get tired of it, but I hadn't seen most of it since it's original run, unlike Trek.

PhantomWolf
2006-Aug-06, 12:08 PM
I have been watching the four Blackadder series 3 episodes at a time. I did do a LotR's marathon when I got the Return of the King Extended DVD which while not a series is getting close to 11 hours all up.

Matherly
2006-Aug-06, 04:30 PM
Then there was a guy who was breathing an atmophere that was 90% carbon dioxide and 10% "trace elements." Why did he bother to breath? What sort of chemical reactions are going on inside him to make it worthwhile? Perhaps he was only pretending to breath so the others wouldn't feel bad? Perhaps one of those trace elements was really groovey?

I'm going to allow Amasador Kosh answer this one...

"You do not understand. But you will."- Kosh, Interludes and Examinations

Roy Batty
2006-Aug-06, 04:58 PM
Yes I agree, Kosh will explain it all...

"Understanding is a three-edged sword"

but expect:

"Reflection. Surprise. Terror. For the future"

:D ;)

I have watched about 5-6 episodes of B5 in one sitting. Have them all on video but now wish I'd held out for dvd :doh: Btw I don't ever recall seeing it rotate any more than about 45-60 seconds which seems about right.

Watching about 10 episodes back to back of early Simpsons just about did my head in though :)

Gillianren
2006-Aug-07, 08:01 AM
We went through Due South pretty quickly, likewise Remington Steele and The Pretender. Also Lois & Clark, but I ignored large amounts of that.

Eroica
2006-Aug-07, 12:01 PM
Then there was a guy who was breathing an atmophere that was 90% carbon dioxide and 10% "trace elements." Why did he bother to breath? What sort of chemical reactions are going on inside him to make it worthwhile?
Photosynthesis? :)

The skeptic
2006-Aug-07, 05:05 PM
I've just watched an entire series in Russian...Nine in the morning until two the next morning. My other-half tells me it has strong dialogue, too??:D

MG1962A
2006-Aug-07, 08:51 PM

Hence the cut rate price for soup and custard on Sundays? :)

BigDon
2006-Aug-08, 02:01 AM
I have been watching the four Blackadder series 3 episodes at a time.

Isn't one of those Black Adder series one were Rowan Atkinson doesn't play the fool? I saw a couple of them, and I know they were suppose to be in different times, but I like the way he came off as the shrewd sea captain. "What? We're at the urine drinking stage already? But I just had half an egg cup of rancid water two weeks ago!" Which of the four series was that?

Maha Vailo
2006-Aug-08, 02:41 AM
I'd only watch an entire series in one sitting if I was either a) extremely bored, or b) had a terrible bout of insomnia and there was nothing else left to do.

I'm not the type of person who watches too many TV series.

- Maha "movie freak" Vailo

BigDon
2006-Aug-08, 03:09 AM
No offense Maha, but even though your location says Florida I keep picturing you as Hawaiin. :)

PhantomWolf
2006-Aug-08, 03:32 AM
Isn't one of those Black Adder series one were Rowan Atkinson doesn't play the fool? I saw a couple of them, and I know they were suppose to be in different times, but I like the way he came off as the shrewd sea captain. "What? We're at the urine drinking stage already? But I just had half an egg cup of rancid water two weeks ago!" Which of the four series was that?

Only Series 1 has he playing Blackadder as a fool. The Episode you mention is "Potato" which is in series 2.

Timeline is approximately

1485 - Blackadder
~1560 - Blackadder II
~1815 - Blackadder the Third
1917 Blackadder Goes Forth

Wiki Entry (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackadder)

Gillianren
2006-Aug-08, 06:02 AM
Right, which is why I don't particularly care for Series One. And I got to watch Series Two for college credit--I was studying modern interpretations of the Elizabethan Era. (She wasn't as bloodthirsty as they show her!)

Lord Jubjub
2006-Aug-11, 12:46 AM
Well, I watched four episodes of B5 a week last summer and fall. Definitely gets a bit repetitive. It's easy to forget that the shows were once a week and needed the weekly refresher.

But that was only the first four seasons. I still haven't gotten around to watching the fifth season. . .