PDA

View Full Version : Save that dust!

ToSeek
2003-Apr-21, 05:19 PM
Because it might be space dust! (http://abcnews.go.com/sections/scitech/World/cosmicbunnies030421_csm.html)

Jigsaw
2003-Apr-21, 06:53 PM
OMG! Lawrence Myers is right!!

http://expanding-earth.org/

The planet is slowly accreting new mass consisting of at least TWO types of matter from outer space—meteorites and meteor dust, plus solar energy captured by photosynthesis in living organisms—which could happen only after water appeared on the planet’s surface to support organic growth.

Meteorites falling to Earth, large and small, have been known for centuries, but more recent scientific measurements discovered that an even greater volume of dust and micrometeorites (hundreds of tons) accretes onto Earth's surface every day!

The estimates vary widely (wildly?)—from ~274 to ~55,000 tons per day [Newkirk in Meteor Orbits and Dust, NASA, 1967], but one can imagine the potential volume of accreting extraterrestrial material from the very large number of meteor streams (10 major and 374 minor, of which 154 are the most authentic) reported by Terentjeva [ibid.] She reported “Generally, the existence is accepted of several hundred minor meteor showers with a duration of not less than 3 to 7 days and an average rate not exceeding 2 meteors per hour.”

Although today the daily volume of extraterrestrial matter from space may be minuscule relative to Earth’s total mass, even one kilogram of new matter is unquestionably added mass and gravitational power. The influx of this matter is well known but has been dismissed as insignificant —despite massive amounts of meteoric, geologic and organic evidence found in immense coal, oil, and limestone deposits, plus their deep overburdens, on every continent and in ocean sediments. * snerk *

:D

tracer
2003-Apr-21, 10:28 PM
Since when is solar energy considered "matter from outer space"? (I mean, sure, E=mc^2 means that solar radiation equates to a teensy weensy itsy bitsy bit of mass, but nothing worth writing home about.)

tracer
2003-Apr-21, 10:33 PM
Oh, wait, never mind -- I just found the following paragraph on that expanding-earth.org webpage:

The evidence is empirical and the conclusions obvious—the Earth ~200 million years ago was a single planetary landmass ~40% smaller than it is today, and at that moment in geologic time there were NO OCEANS!
You heard it here first, folks! Trilobite, sponges, bacteria, early fish and crustaceans, all the life we used to think lived in the oceans long looooong before 200 million years ago -- they couldn't possibly have lived in the oceans, because the ancient oceans were just a figment of our imagination.

g99
2003-Apr-21, 10:39 PM
damn, well i guess i will have to retake all of those gelogy and geography classes than. And i better give up this geography mionor i am getting.

Damn....And i was so close to getting it too.

Donnie B.
2003-Apr-21, 10:59 PM
damn, well i guess i will have to retake all of those gelogy and geography classes than. And i better give up this geography mionor i am getting.

Damn....And i was so close to getting it too.
You were just being brainwashed by the monolithic anti-creationist scientific establishment... :roll:

kilopi
2003-Apr-21, 11:30 PM
Oh, wait, never mind -- I just found the following paragraph on that expanding-earth.org webpage:

You heard it here first, folks!
Unless you heard it from John Kierein (http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=13175#13175) bout a year ago, or other places. Carey's theory has been around since the fifties, and he got a lot of people interested in plate tectonic-type theories, back then.

g99
2003-Apr-21, 11:31 PM
So would it be good to practice my monotone "yes master..." voice while i continue to go the the dogmatic, evolitionist, "You are all going to hell because they belive in something that is true" institution?

Charlie in Dayton
2003-Apr-22, 05:54 AM
Because it might be space dust! (http://abcnews.go.com/sections/scitech/World/cosmicbunnies030421_csm.html)

If this is the case, I fully expect NASA to take over my rent payments and declare my house a scientific storage facility very soon now... :roll: