PDA

View Full Version : Snakes On A Plane

jkmccrann
2006-Aug-09, 10:51 AM
Having just seen a preview of this movie the other day, I have to say it looks like possibly the stupidest movie made in a while.

Nevertheless, I learned today that apparently by registering at this site,

Snake On A Plane Personalised Message (http://snakesonaplane.varitalk.com/)

you can, for free, send a message down the phone line to a friend's phone number or perhaps email. The kicker is that this message is Samuel L. Jackson talking about whatever he's talking about, so no doubt it would be quite a shock for someone to pick their phone up and hear Samuel Jackson on the other end.

Just thought some of you guys might like to know about this, if you don't already............

Sweety
2006-Aug-09, 11:13 AM
I am sending this to my brothers. when I will get their feedback. I will post again.

Captain Kidd
2006-Aug-09, 11:25 AM
Heh, I found out about it a few months ago from an NPR segment (http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5298003) dedicated to it. A cult following is already cropping up around it. Before any trailers were released and about the only thing known about it was the cast and a one or two line synopsis it took off on the internet. People have been making their own trailers, plot ideas, etc. One of the more popular sites seems to be snakesonablog.com (http://www.snakesonablog.com).

The buzz apparently got so big that New Line actually took some of the ideas and shot additional footage just to please the internet fan base.

Selenite
2006-Aug-09, 11:57 AM
Sounds like a modern version of the Rocky Horror Picture Show. With the fans making their own satirical versions instead of making costumes and doing the time warp in the aisles.

mickal555
2006-Aug-09, 12:12 PM
Hmm..

Dunno if I can send it overseas...

Roy Batty
2006-Aug-09, 01:38 PM
Well I tried sending one but it kept complaining that the from no. wasn't correct, & It didn't even give me an arrow to continue after trying the email option!

I'm guessing this site is for US only. It does make me mad though when there is no info (that I could see) to tell you this. Lets just assume everyone on the web is US shall we?:neutral: Anyone else in the UK had any luck, even with email?

Parrothead
2006-Aug-09, 01:50 PM
I first heard about this movie reading Josh Friedman's blog (http://hucksblog.blogspot.com/2005/08/snakes-on-mother****ing-plane.html) (language warning), last year. I'm just wondering if the hype generated is going to be a set up for disappointment.

Gillianren
2006-Aug-09, 05:51 PM
Are you kidding? It's a movie about snakes on a plane! Of course it's going to be a disappointment! Though I did hear a rumour that they're changing its rating so Samuel L. Jackson can use a certain swearword implying a specific kind of incest.

Tog
2006-Aug-09, 06:14 PM
Are you kidding? It's a movie about snakes on a plane! Of course it's going to be a disappointment! Though I did hear a rumour that they're changing its rating so Samuel L. Jackson can use a certain swearword implying a specific kind of incest.

I thought it was going to kill him to hold to the family friendly rating of the Star Wars films. His last scene in Ep III, you just knew he was going to cut loose.

I'm betting this movie will be stupid, but intentionally, over the top, campy stupid. Being serious with it would be a really bad idea. (Chucky anyone? Fear Dot Com?) But if they do it right, it could end up huge hit and cult classic. It's already got a huge following. Good or bad, it's gonna have a monster opening weekend.

Parrothead
2006-Aug-09, 06:46 PM

LOL! The blog entry I tried to link to used that title. Try here (http://hucksblog.blogspot.com/). The entry is in the August 2005 archive, August 17th (language warning again). I cracked up when he stated he was using the title as a philosophy ala "serenity now".

Dr Nigel
2006-Aug-09, 08:38 PM
Well, I saw the trailer and it looks like being a very, very silly film. But that's not necessarily a bad thing, is it?

Dr Nigel
2006-Aug-09, 08:40 PM
... (language warning) ...

What, do they use Serbo-Croat or something equally obscure?

jkmccrann
2006-Aug-10, 07:34 AM
Well I tried sending one but it kept complaining that the from no. wasn't correct, & It didn't even give me an arrow to continue after trying the email option!

I'm guessing this site is for US only. It does make me mad though when there is no info (that I could see) to tell you this. Lets just assume everyone on the web is US shall we?:neutral: Anyone else in the UK had any luck, even with email?

Yep, unfortunately you're right there - making lots of overseas calls with this gimmick was obviously not going to fit into the budget!

Surely the email wouldn't be a problem though, though I haven't yet tried that.

WaxRubiks
2006-Aug-10, 09:49 AM
alien or predator on a plane would be more exciting if a little short.

HenrikOlsen
2006-Aug-10, 11:34 AM
Rats on an airplane might make for a better disaster movie, especially rats intelligent enough to get in the wiring and start nibbling:)

Roy Batty
2006-Aug-10, 02:35 PM
Rats on an airplane might make for a better disaster movie, especially rats intelligent enough to get in the wiring and start nibbling:)
Naa, too (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?t=44277) realistic (http://www.ksdk.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=100017) :eek:

Trebuchet
2006-Aug-11, 04:32 AM
Because of my job, I tend to avoid any movie with much airplane involvement. Take Air Force One. Please! Just too many ridiculous things to tolerate.

So I guess I won't be seeing Snakes on a Plane either.

Andromeda321
2006-Aug-11, 04:39 AM
My brother sent me the personalized message thing for Snakes on a Plane. Just the Internet version though.

And for those who don't know, the movie started getting to be such a huge deal when Samuel Jackson apparently just looked at the title on the script and said he'd do it, no questions asked. They even wanted to change the title later to something more sophisticated, but he threatened to walk if they did so.

Pip
2006-Aug-11, 04:51 AM
Judging from the TV spots I've seen, it looks like they've included the old "gunshot = explosive decompression" myth.

I'll still go see it, as it might just be the best motion picture ever made.

jkmccrann
2006-Aug-11, 05:36 PM
Judging from the TV spots I've seen, it looks like they've included the old "gunshot = explosive decompression" myth.

I'll still go see it, as it might just be the best motion picture ever made.

LMAO!

crosscountry
2006-Aug-12, 11:00 PM
don't know what happened to my link. it worked yesterday

Captain Kidd
2006-Aug-13, 12:54 AM
I'm being redirected to a W3C entry on HTTP.

Maksutov
2006-Aug-13, 11:01 AM
Relax, it's just a new ST:TNG episodic movie:

Frakes on a Crane

wherein the commander realizes there's more to construction than just saying "Yes, Captain".

mike alexander
2006-Aug-14, 11:43 PM
Jon Stewart did a piece on The Daily Show a few weeks back about columnist Robert Novak and CIA agent Valerie Plame with the title Snake on a Plame.

ZaphodBeeblebrox
2006-Aug-15, 01:11 AM
My brother sent me the personalized message thing for Snakes on a Plane. Just the Internet version though.

And for those who don't know, the movie started getting to be such a huge deal when Samuel Jackson apparently just looked at the title on the script and said he'd do it, no questions asked. They even wanted to change the title later to something more sophisticated, but he threatened to walk if they did so.
Yeah, My Brother said Somethin' Liike That, to me Too ...

In Fact, When he Was INTERNING at New Line While Snakes on a Plane was In Pre-Production, it Was the Film they All Wanted to See Made ...

Then Sammy Threw his Star-Power Behind it, and All Was Good!

snarkophilus
2006-Aug-15, 07:28 AM
There's a similar sort of phone thing but with Arnie's voice. My little brother used to use it to leave messages on my answering machine while I was at school, some of which made my roommates think I was being hunted by a foreign psychopath.

Regardless of how good the movie is, there's one thing that could make it better. They could add that scene from the shark movie (Deep Blue Sea? Is that the one with Jackson?). You know which one. In fact, just that scene alone would automatically make a movie better than any other one released this summer.

Seriously. What a horrible summer for movies. There's Antz which isn't Antz, Save the Last Dance which isn't Save the Last Dance, Zoom (which is the same as some other movie whose name I don't care to remember) and a bunch of other drivel that makes me want to stab every Hollywood producer with a fork. Even the Dungeons and Dragons movie could stand up to this lineup, and that's about as low as you can get.

Though the Illusionist looks good... but it's not coming to my theatre, and no one will see it anyway. So it looks like Snakes on a Plane is getting all the Emmys or Oscars or whatever award it is that they give to movies. At least they'll admit that it sucks.

Gillianren
2006-Aug-15, 05:30 PM
Oscars. And I'm holding judgement on what gets the Oscars until Hollywoodland. After all, it isn't Oscar movie-season yet; that starts next month and runs through December.

Lord Jubjub
2006-Aug-16, 01:46 AM
If SOAP gets an Oscar nod for best pic, expect the sidewalk to be litter with jawbones.

Doodler
2006-Aug-18, 03:38 PM
From the comments on the Washington Post website.

If you have to have a couple of drinks before seeing this movie to fully appreciate the cinematic experience, you are NOT doing enough drugs!

Posted by: RunnyShorts | August 18, 2006 11:16 AM

Sounds like a winner. :)

The truly funny one was the concerned parent carping about the "negative African American stereotype" Jackson portrays.

I almost barfed.

Matherly
2006-Aug-18, 03:54 PM
If Sam Jackson had 10% as much fun making this movie as he had being interviewed by John Stewart selling the movie, it's gonna be a hoot. My favorite bit was:

Stewart: So, do you die?
Jackson: :silenced: no! I'm the hero!
Stewart: You know why that happened?
Jackson: (Big grin) Sequel! And I didn't sign a sequel contract so I can ask for whatever I want! (does a little dance)

Tog
2006-Aug-18, 04:00 PM
I talked to a guy last night who pointed to a USA today aticle and said, "Have you heard of this movie?" I told him it had sparked discussions on the internet for months and he just stared at me like I was messing with his head. He had honestly never even heard of it.

Gillianren
2006-Aug-18, 05:00 PM
You know, some people don't spend as much time online as we do. I've got friends who don't, friends who've only heard of the thing now that commercials are starting. Heck, I first heard about it here.

ZaphodBeeblebrox
2006-Aug-18, 05:41 PM
If Sam Jackson had 10% as much fun making this movie as he had being interviewed by John Stewart selling the movie, it's gonna be a hoot. My favorite bit was:

Stewart: So, do you die?
Jackson: :silenced: no! I'm the hero!
Stewart: You know why that happened?
Jackson: (Big grin) Sequel! And I didn't sign a sequel contract so I can ask for whatever I want! (does a little dance)
I LOVE Sammy L. ...

He's Often Considered If Not The Best, Than Definitely The Most Prolific Actor Currently Working ...

I Really Want to Meet him Sometime, he Sounds Liike a Very Nice Guy!

Tog
2006-Aug-18, 05:42 PM
Yeah but he's spent the last three nights in the lobby surfing the net with his laptop. He must have a great pop up blocker :D

Doodler
2006-Aug-18, 08:02 PM
I'm looking forward to the first interview after he gets tired of it...

"Say "SNAKE" again..."

Lord Jubjub
2006-Aug-18, 10:31 PM
Would you believe that SoaP is getting 64% on Rotten Tomatoes (http://rottentomatoes.com) and 59% on Metacritic (http://metacritic.com)?

The consensus is that this movie is as stupid and over-the-top as it is supposed to be.

ZaphodBeeblebrox
2006-Aug-19, 01:06 AM
Would you believe that SoaP is getting 64% on Rotten Tomatoes (http://rottentomatoes.com) and 59% on Metacritic (http://metacritic.com)?

The consensus is that this movie is as stupid and over-the-top as it is supposed to be.
So ...

Good Thing, Bad Thing, or BOTH?

:wall:

Captain Kidd
2006-Aug-19, 01:18 AM
Depends, are you going to go see it expecting something like March of the Penguins or a "check your seriousness at the door" fun flick? (I'm at a loss right now to think up a suitable similie, Austin Powers, but not so comedic oriented.)

Tensor
2006-Aug-19, 01:42 AM
Like Rocky Horror, audience participation made this film more fun. Is it one of the great films, no. Is it one of the worst, again, no. It's your typical B-movie, that you can shut your brain off to watch. People at the theater had stuffed snakes, plastic snakes (one girl even had her real pet snake). Of course, during Jackson's incest comment, EVERYBODY, in the theater, shouted it out (among other comments you could see coming). Those plastic snakes were thrown around during the movie. It was enjoyable, in a weird sort of way.

Gruesome
2006-Aug-22, 06:22 PM
Speaking of Snakes...

Two live diamondback rattlesnakes were released in an Arizona movie theater during a showing of the new film "Snakes on a Plane," according to Local 6 News.

Authorities said pranksters released the young venomous rattlesnakes in a dark theater at the AMC Desert Ridge near Tatum and Loop 101 in Phoenix.

The two snakes caused a panic in the dark theater, according to the report.

"That to me is very scary," herpetological association representative Tom Whiting said. "I would hate to be watching a movie about snakes and have a rattlesnake bite me."

Gee! Ya think?

Doodler
2006-Aug-22, 06:25 PM
"That to me is very scary," herpetological association representative Tom Whiting said. "I would hate to be watching a movie about snakes and have a rattlesnake bite me."

Gee! Ya think?

Hehe, well, they did mention turning one's brain off at the door. Guess they really meant it. :D

SeanF
2006-Aug-22, 10:04 PM
During what activity would he not hate to have a rattlesnake bite him?!

GDwarf
2006-Aug-22, 11:38 PM
Injecting Anti-venom?

Gillianren
2006-Aug-23, 12:44 AM

That was exactly what I wanted to know.

Donnie B.
2006-Aug-23, 09:05 PM
That was exactly what I wanted to know.Even more specifically, while watching what type of movie would he find it acceptable to be bitten by a snake?

Makgraf
2006-Aug-23, 11:01 PM
Even more specifically, while watching what type of movie would he find it acceptable to be bitten by a snake?
Battlefield: Earth. It would be a blessed release.

crosscountry
2006-Aug-25, 07:59 PM
anyone here seen the movie yet?

NEOWatcher
2007-Sep-19, 01:28 PM
Dead snakes on a plane (http://www.newsnet5.com/news/14147520/detail.html)?

He said some of the snakes had scorpions in their mouths and were preserved in a type of medicinal wine that certain cultures drink.

KaiYeves
2007-Sep-20, 12:14 AM
I had an adventure story where the villian was a herpatologist mutated in an accident into a crocodile-snake-human hybrid. I couldn't think of any title stronger than "Snake's Eyes". Then this movie came out and it hit me "Snakes are a Pain".