PDA

View Full Version : possible large meteor crater

aurorae
2003-Apr-22, 08:36 PM
Interesting news story of a geological find, possibly the largest meteor strike in what is now the US.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/space/04/22/missouri.meteorite.ap/index.html

beskeptical
2003-Apr-22, 10:12 PM
Couldn't they have given us an arial foto instead of a dumb drawing?

They didn't even mention the dimensions of the crater, the extent of erosion, the area of ejecta.

I wanna know. :cry: How can I go look for meteorites or shocked quartz?

Reacher
2003-Apr-23, 01:41 AM
Do we honestly need an 'artists concept' of a huge asteroid? Any idiot can tell what a huge asteroid looks like.

RafaelAustin
2003-Apr-23, 02:30 AM
Trust CNN to get science wrong... and Mr Google to set things right! :)

http://www.kolr10.com/Global/story.asp?S=1228456&nav=0RXJFByD

"It's a big chunk of rock," said SMSU geologist Kevin Evans. "It would be twice as tall as the Arch."

Evans estimates that the meteor, which probably hit Earth 340 million years ago, was at least 1,300 feet wide. Because it was racing toward the planet at up to 100,000 miles an hour, it created a depression 47 times its size when it hit.

The impact area, at 12 miles across, is the fifth-largest known meteor landing site in the country and one of the top 50 in the world, said Evans, who presented the group's findings at a meeting last month of the Geological Society of America.

russ_watters
2003-Apr-23, 01:34 PM
Couldn't they have given us an arial foto instead of a dumb drawing? They can't give a photo because there is nothing to see from the air. You have to dig.

kilopi
2003-Apr-23, 02:48 PM
Couldn't they have given us an arial foto instead of a dumb drawing?
It appears to be big too. The article mentions Osceola, Weaubleau and Bolivar in the (sic) Missouri, but this Tiger server map (http://tiger.census.gov/cgi-bin/mapsurfer?infact=2&outfact=2&act=move&on=CITIES&tlevel=-&tvar=-&tmeth=i&mlat=38.04644&mlon=-93.69801&msym=redpin&mlabel=Osceola%2C+MO&murl=&lat=37.8361931&lon=-93.5406036&wid=1.000&ht=1.000&conf=mapnew.con) shows the three to be in a line (Weaubleau is between the other two--I stuck a pin in Osceola :) ) I used Lat 37.8 and Lon -93.55 for the center, and a little more than a tenth of a degree in all directions covers the three. What, about a twelve mile (200km) radius maybe?

Iain Lambert
2003-Apr-23, 03:55 PM
do you mean 20km? Because 12 miles is rather smaller than 200km... :D

I can just about cope with 'dumb drawing' when they have no decent photos to use, but do they really have to reel out the same picture for every single asteroid story ever? I got sick of that shot around the time of Deep Impact's release, and it just won't go away.

crazy4space
2003-Apr-23, 10:52 PM
Wow, I live here and I didnt here anything on the news. Guess I should turn on the TV sometimes. I go to my astronomy BB and you guys know more than I do. I have been to Osceola lots of times they have the best cheese factory there. Will follow up on this story.

kilopi
2003-Apr-24, 02:18 AM
I have been to Osceola lots of times they have the best cheese factory there. Will follow up on this story.
Thanks crazy4space. Keep us posted.

Musta been a lunar remnant that struck Osceola.