PDA

View Full Version : The BA's Blog

N C More
2006-Aug-13, 11:30 AM
I just tried to post over on the BA's Blog site, but I got a nifty little message saying that I'd been flagged as a spammer(?). What's up with this? I only spam I've ever had anything to do with is the kind you fry up with eggs!

Moose
2006-Aug-13, 01:03 PM
It's either another bug in this release or you're on a dynamic IP address, and a spammer on your network tried to attack the system.

In the second case, the solution is to shut down your machine (not just reboot) and start it up again so that your IP resets itself to something different.

TriangleMan
2006-Aug-13, 01:23 PM
only spam I've ever had anything to do with is the kind you fry up with eggs!
You fry spam with eggs? Ugh, I think that's a bannable offense right there ;)

N C More
2006-Aug-13, 01:53 PM
...In the second case, the solution is to shut down your machine (not just reboot) and start it up again so that your IP resets itself to something different.

Nope, I have a static IP (direct cable link).

You fry spam with eggs? Ugh, I think that's a bannable offense right there ;)

Hey, that's yummy stuff there! However, I rarely eat it anymore...it's loaded with bad fats and salt...not good for anyone (but still yummy!).

Roy Batty
2006-Aug-13, 01:56 PM
I will not eat fried eggs & spam, I do not like them Sam I am! :)

N C More
2006-Aug-13, 02:19 PM
I will not eat fried eggs & spam, I do not like them Sam I am! :)

But would you eat them with a dog, or over on the BA's Blog?

I would, I could, I really should...but posting there I can not do. "Spam I Am" is just not true! :cry:

Tensor
2006-Aug-13, 03:14 PM
But would you eat them with a dog, or over on the BA's Blog?

I would, I could, I really should...but posting there I can not do. "Spam I Am" is just not true! :cry:

I should not eat them with a dog, I should not eat them reading a blog.

I should not eat them, its not my fault, the doc says no, to fats and salt.

I should not eat the spam and eggs, it can cause clots in heart and legs.

Roy Batty
2006-Aug-13, 03:14 PM
Oh BA Plait, please hear her plight
She cannot post on your blog tonight.
It really shocks me to the core
This dreadful predicament of N C More!

WaxRubiks
2006-Aug-13, 03:34 PM
yes, i got the same spammer flag message a few weeks ago.

Lance
2006-Aug-13, 03:58 PM
In the second case, the solution is to shut down your machine (not just reboot) and start it up again so that your IP resets itself to something different.

Shutting down isn't necessary. All that does is leave you disconnected a little longer so, hopefully, the last IP you had got reassigned to someone else in the mean time.

There is another, far easier way to accomplish the same thing in Windows XP:

1) Click [START] then [RUN] and type "CMD" in the dialog box. Click [OK]
2) At the prompt, type "ipconfig /release" (without quotes)
3) Wait some reasonable amount of time
4) At the prompt, type "ipconfig /renew" (without quotes)
5) Close the CMD window

This will get you a new IP address, assuming one is available and you are on DHCP. It won't harm anything if you're not. No rebooting required.

Maksutov
2006-Aug-13, 04:52 PM
Shutting down isn't necessary. All that does is leave you disconnected a little longer so, hopefully, the last IP you had got reassigned to someone else in the mean time.

There is another, far easier way to accomplish the same thing in Windows XP:

1) Click [START] then [RUN] and type "CMD" in the dialog box. Click [OK]
2) At the prompt, type "ipconfig /release" (without quotes)
3) Wait some reasonable amount of time
4) At the prompt, type "ipconfig /renew" (without quotes)
5) Close the CMD window

This will get you a new IP address, assuming one is available and you are on DHCP. It won't harm anything if you're not. No rebooting required.
You should listen to Lance
He whose llamas advance
To take over your PC
And dominate the globes
While feigning "I see"
And "fixing" your phobes.
Such patterns are rare
Except where there's air
Enough for a pack
On a llama's broad back.

Wolverine
2006-Aug-13, 06:26 PM
Phil's blog is protected by a (really nifty) anti-spam plugin made for the Wordpress platform. For the most part it's very good at distinguishing between legitimate comments and spam attempts, but once in a while visitors may be the victims of friendly fire depending on the settings and blacklist logs.

Moved from About BAUT to Bad Astronomy Stories.

jrkeller
2006-Aug-13, 10:57 PM
I just tried to post over on the BA's Blog site, but I got a nifty little message saying that I'd been flagged as a spammer(?). What's up with this? I only spam I've ever had anything to do with is the kind you fry up with eggs!

I've had the same problem too. It doesn't always happen, but it is frusterating when it does.

Lurker
2006-Aug-16, 02:19 AM
I am surprised!! You have always seemed such a level sort. How could you do such a thing!! :eek:

:)

Gillianren
2006-Aug-16, 06:36 PM
I just got flagged as a spammer, too, and I won't touch the stuff. (My mom kept it in her emergency supplies, and we pointed out to her that she was pretty much condemning us to starve to death after a major earthquake.)

hhEb09'1
2006-Aug-16, 06:40 PM
I just tried to post over on the BA's Blog site, but I got a nifty little message saying that I'd been flagged as a spammer(?). What's up with this? I only spam I've ever had anything to do with is the kind you fry up with eggs!I got a similar message earlier. It said the post might be reviewed by the blogger, but I should contact them by email too. Same message?

Gillianren
2006-Aug-16, 07:19 PM
That's the one I got, anyway. (And I hadn't even complained that Phil has a wrong "its" in there somewhere!)

Roy Batty
2006-Aug-17, 12:58 AM
Following soon on the Sci-Fi channel, after The Thing, is the international debut of: The wrong "its"! :D:)

hhEb09'1
2006-Aug-19, 01:52 PM
It said the post might be reviewed by the blogger, but I should contact them by email too. Same message?I tried to post again today, and got the same message. However, I notice that my previous post has shown up in the comments at about the time position that I posted it--so the BA must have reviewed it, and allowed it to post. Unfortunately, its message was lost, in the shuffle. My post today only repeats what I said before, more or less, but now it's in response to today's blog.

hhEb09'1
2006-Aug-20, 04:43 PM
My post yesterday (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?t=45888) did not show up in the comments (http://www.badastronomy.com/bablog/2006/08/18/i-made-a-massive-mistake/#comments). I guess you have to email each time you get the message, they're not automatically reviewed (of course?).

The Bad Astronomer
2006-Aug-21, 12:29 AM
They should show up automatically, though some get sent to a moderatiuon queue which I do check (those are generally 50/50 spam). I am fed up with the spam filter, and I'm still planning on changing commenting systems.

hhEb09'1
2006-Aug-21, 10:40 AM
I am fed up with the spam filter, and I'm still planning on changing commenting systems.Thanks! :)

I was wondering if I was doing something wrong. :)

hhEb09'1
2006-Aug-24, 04:17 PM
I was able to post to the blog today, so maybe everything is cleared up.

PS: my post to "Planetary scientists support planet definitions" eventually showed up, but the one I made to "I made a massive mistake" did not. All three make essentially the same point, though, that the moon cannot be moved far enough out by the tidal friction mechanism to take the earth/moon barycenter outside of the earth.

Sticks
2006-Oct-31, 05:01 PM
I am getting a load of error messages everytime I make a post, but when I go back in the post is there :eh:

The Bad Astronomer
2006-Oct-31, 11:15 PM
There are some issues right now. I added some phrases to the spam killer, and it freaked out, and now I can't fix it. That prompted me to try to connect the blog to BAUT again, but ran into another problem, but I'm hoping to fix that one soon too.

Sticks
2006-Nov-01, 03:08 PM
If it helps these were the error messages I got when posting a comment to one of blogs

Regex ID: 18261 () appears to be an invalid regex string! Please fix it in the Blacklist control panel.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/badastro/domains/badastronomy.com/public_html/bablog/wp-content/plugins/SK2-/sk2_util_class.php:208) in /home/badastro/domains/badastronomy.com/public_html/bablog/wp-comments-post.php on line 55

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/badastro/domains/badastronomy.com/public_html/bablog/wp-content/plugins/SK2-/sk2_util_class.php:208) in /home/badastro/domains/badastronomy.com/public_html/bablog/wp-comments-post.php on line 56

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/badastro/domains/badastronomy.com/public_html/bablog/wp-content/plugins/SK2-/sk2_util_class.php:208) in /home/badastro/domains/badastronomy.com/public_html/bablog/wp-comments-post.php on line 57

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/badastro/domains/badastronomy.com/public_html/bablog/wp-content/plugins/SK2-/sk2_util_class.php:208) in /home/badastro/domains/badastronomy.com/public_html/bablog/wp-includes/pluggable-functions.php on line 272

Roy Batty
2006-Nov-03, 12:09 PM
Btw I just noticed that the link to the latest blog entry on the Bad Astro intro page is a little out of date (though this could be deliberate since it is 'the best mars picture evah' :)

R.A.F.
2006-Nov-04, 01:52 PM
Yeah...I've given up on reading the blog since I can't post to it...a shame really...

Hopefully, the "connection" between this BB and the BA's blog will be made soon...

Roy Batty
2006-Nov-04, 04:31 PM
Well, despite getting the error messages posted by Sticks above, I've found it does actually post ok, you just have to go back & refresh to see it.

dirty_g
2006-Nov-06, 11:14 PM
I have posted comments before and it tells me its done and nothing appears there at all! I have had a spam message once before. Now days I don't bother trying though. Maybe it doesnt like my display name..... Too dirty?? (he he)

beskeptical
2006-Nov-10, 09:02 AM
The error message still comes up with every post. I hit the back arrow and refresh and can see my post was added. It's annoying but otherwise manageable.

Sticks
2006-Dec-30, 02:57 PM
I just tried to post on the blog here (http://www.badastronomy.com/bablog/2006/12/29/bush-white-house-still-promoting-creationism/#comments) and it did not seem to register when I posted in firefox. I tried again and copied what I was submitting and when again it did not show up, I tried going via IE which did not show my post, but when I tried to post what I had tried in firefox it told me it had already been posted, yet I can not see it.

All I was trying to post was that i was going to a related thread on the forum and would be discussing the subject there. Have I been blocked from my posts appearing on the BA Blog?

Sticks
2006-Dec-30, 05:12 PM
I tried to post this

<i>Umpteenth attempt at posting here</i>

There is a thread set up <a href="http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?t=51513">here</a> so can I suggest we continue over there as that board, when it is working, has more flexibility than the blog.

That is where I will be continuing the discussions

on the Blog here (http://www.badastronomy.com/bablog/2006/12/29/bush-white-house-still-promoting-creationism/#comment-86962)

but after I hit submit, my post is not there

I try again and I get
Duplicate comment detected; it looks as though you've already said that!

Even though I can not see my post

Have I been banned from contributing to the BA Blog? If so what did I do wrong? :(

The Bad Astronomer
2007-Jan-01, 03:48 AM
No, you're not banned! But the spam filtering has been giving me unending grief. I'm sorry about this, but I don't know how to fix it.

Sticks
2007-Jan-07, 07:52 AM
This post on the BA Blog (http://www.badastronomy.com/bablog/2007/01/05/more-on-the-grand-canyon/#comment-88780) succintly sums up a new fault on the BA BLOG affecting Firefox users

Any chance of a resolution?

Roy Batty
2007-Jan-07, 02:09 PM
Hey, that's right, hadn't noticed till now. It is pretty unreadable.

beskeptical
2007-Jan-08, 09:08 AM
The dark blue is a pain but someone noticed you can highlight it and read it.

And I have a recurring posting problem that can be over ridden by splitting the post into small segments. Go figure!

The Bad Astronomer
2007-Jan-10, 07:11 AM
Hmmm. I recently upgraded WP, and there were some issues. Basically, I have to go back and change a bunch of files manually, and I must have missed one. Nuts! This will take some fishing, but I'll look into it this weekend.

Sticks
2007-Jan-23, 12:08 PM
The only thing the Blog is allowing me to post is "System test" or "Another system test"

If I type anything else I get

Error 404 - Not Found
Please use the links (or search feature) in the sidebar to find your way back to the real content!

I had wanted to post on the TAM5 report 2 blog this

I would love to drop in on a TAM, even though I come from the faith community and would be considered the enemy, although I would point out that the NT does praise a group for checking that even the Apostle Paul was on the level (Acts 17:11). Those in the faith world are seen as easy pickings for the frauds and charlatons, and we need to be kept straight.

However the only thing stopping me is geography. Any chance of the TAM going international and being held here in the UK? I could provide a good list of venues in Newcastle for a TAM UK? such as the <a href="http://www.metroradioarena.co.uk/home/">Metro Radio Arena</a>, <a href="http://www.nufc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Home/0,,10278,00.html">Newcastle United Football Ground</a> to name two

but it would not let me, even when I removed the links

So from now on all my comments to anything on the blog will have to be "System test"

Sticks
2007-Jan-23, 02:20 PM
I have even tried short parts of the original post I tried, but the Blog seems programmed to reject all posts that are not just "System Test"

Sticks
2007-Jan-23, 05:54 PM
I noticed that some of my "System test" posts have been pruned away, sorry about that. After my first attempt to post I assumed the System tests would be rejected as well.

All my attempts to post part of the message were rejected, unless it was "System Test"

BTW are there restrictions on posting links on the blog, because my attempt to post links to two venues after my current post has gone twice, along with my apology for the disjointed nature of my post.

Gillianren
2007-Jan-23, 11:34 PM
Maybe Phil just doesn't like you!

Jeff Root
2007-Jan-24, 08:05 AM
Phil the Groundhog? Is he out of his hole already?

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

beskeptical
2007-Jan-24, 10:25 AM
I noticed that some of my "System test" posts have been pruned away, sorry about that. After my first attempt to post I assumed the System tests would be rejected as well.

All my attempts to post part of the message were rejected, unless it was "System Test"

BTW are there restrictions on posting links on the blog, because my attempt to post links to two venues after my current post has gone twice, along with my apology for the disjointed nature of my post.I don't think so. I have posted links and seen others. I can't name the link and hide the address but I think I have seen others do so. Then again, maybe not. It's confusing since the blog uses <> instead of [] but not all codes are simply exchanging different brackets. I don't know how people code for quotes since <quote> doesn't work. Often the code is invisible but nothing happens. So I improvise with italics instead.

I suppose I could make an effort to find out the proper codes but never have. What does the <a> do?

I'll see if I can post your quote if you haven't already.

beskeptical
2007-Jan-24, 10:42 AM
See the blog Sticks. I posted it but not without a bit of trial and error. I have had the same trouble many times.

BTW, I took the link names out just to be sure that wasn't the problem. It probably wasn't but it was easier than more trial and error. Just taking the link names out alone did not make a difference. There was something in the first sentence blocking the post. But, just as with mine, you can split the offending section up and the post works.

Beats me.

Sticks
2007-Jan-24, 11:45 AM
Thanks for that

I was getting very frustrated with this and it seemed like everyone else but me could post what they wanted, but that I am only allowed to post "System Test"

If I posted anything coherent, Error 404

If I post "System Test" it allows it.

:wall:

The Bad Astronomer
2007-Jan-26, 12:45 AM
I deleted the comments where you just posted "system test".

I have no idea why you are having trouble posting. I have receieved very little mail complaining about comments, so I don't think it's causing too many people grief. I am still hoping to migrate everything to BAUT, but it's been very slow to get moving.

beskeptical
2007-Jan-26, 09:10 AM
So we are down to only Sticks and Skeptigirl (beskeptical/beskeptigal) are having weird blog posting incidents. That is even more strange.

beskeptical
2007-Feb-07, 02:35 AM
They should show up automatically, though some get sent to a moderatiuon queue which I do check (those are generally 50/50 spam). I am fed up with the spam filter, and I'm still planning on changing commenting systems.When posts are sent to the mod que, do they show up in the blog until deleted?

And are certain people flagged to always be moderated, like me ;) or does adding links trigger the filter or is it something else?

The Bad Astronomer
2007-Feb-07, 08:42 AM
Moderated comments do not show up in the blgo at all, they appear in a queue only I can access. No person is flagged, but IPs are using the spam software.

Moose
2007-Feb-07, 01:47 PM
Hey Sticks, worst case, you can use the words "Systems Test" as a sort of Morse Code to get your posts across. Systems for "dash" and Test for "dit" or some-such. ;)

Sticks
2007-Feb-07, 05:00 PM
Here is an idea for the blogs, could we have some kind of date stamp for them, so when we are in the archives we can see when they were composed for historical context?

The Bad Astronomer
2007-Feb-07, 05:35 PM
Well, that's a tough one. They only get a time stamp when they are posted, ad I cannot keep track of when I first entered them. I mean, it's possible to write up some code that would add that info to the database, but that's well beyond my capabilities!

beskeptical
2007-Feb-07, 09:04 PM
Moderated comments do not show up in the blgo at all, they appear in a queue only I can access. No person is flagged, but IPs are using the spam software.So when the post is there but says "awaiting moderation" or something to that effect after my name, it only shows up on my computer?

I'm confused by "at all" in your comment.

The Bad Astronomer
2007-Feb-07, 10:15 PM
If the spam software flags your comment (usually for having too many links) it sits in a queue for me to look at. I approve mose (if they aren't spam) and ditch the rest. Then the approved ones get posted.

beskeptical
2007-Feb-08, 10:24 AM
So then when my blog post says "waiting for moderator" or words to that effect, only I can see it?

Sticks
2007-Feb-08, 03:30 PM
Well, that's a tough one. They only get a time stamp when they are posted, ad I cannot keep track of when I first entered them. I mean, it's possible to write up some code that would add that info to the database, but that's well beyond my capabilities!

What data base language is being used? Maybe someone here could code that segment? :confused:

Roy Batty
2007-Feb-08, 04:38 PM
I'm a bit confused. I've just gone into the archives & clearly see a date stamp (& time, which I requested!) next to each blog & the comments. Probably I'm misunderstanding what Sticks is asking for though?

Sticks
2007-Feb-08, 10:10 PM
I'm a bit confused. I've just gone into the archives & clearly see a date stamp (& time, which I requested!) next to each blog & the comments. Probably I'm misunderstanding what Sticks is asking for though?

One of these days I will learn to read :doh:

I can not think how I did not see that now. :confused:

The Bad Astronomer
2007-Feb-08, 11:03 PM
Those time stamps are for when things are posted, not drafted. I have blog entry drafts that are a year old! They sit in a queue waiting for me to post them.

Roy Batty
2007-Feb-09, 02:34 PM
Ahh, I think Sticks was just after the posted date stamp so we are all happy.
Be quiet & take the credit BA :D

buffalodavid
2007-Feb-13, 02:27 AM
Is it just me or is the blog page taking longer to load? I've noticed this for about a week.

2007-Feb-13, 02:50 AM
Is it just me or is the blog page taking longer to load? I've noticed this for about a week.

Just you? It's still too fast for me, milliseconds.

Nothing near a week. (Ha.)

buffalodavid
2007-Feb-13, 03:03 AM
Maybe I should clarify. What a concept. The text and the graphics load very well, but the background (the alternating blue and white) takes as much as a minute to form. This makes reading the text harder.

2007-Feb-13, 04:16 AM
Maybe I should clarify. What a concept. The text and the graphics load very well, but the background (the alternating blue and white) takes as much as a minute to form. This makes reading the text harder.

Just you? Everything appears in the blink of an eye, including the solid blue background. Maybe what's making your background alternate blue and white is the problem. Oh, and by blue background, I mean the principally left and right margins about the solid white (with mostly black letters) text box. Nothing is making my text hard to read.

All I can offer is: no problems here. (10-megabit DSL connectivity; stock Windows XP and Internet Explorer, to current upgrades.)

Unregistered
2007-Feb-13, 12:06 PM
unplug your router and replug it, then do it.

Laguna
2007-Feb-19, 08:54 PM
As I am currently unable to coment on the blog (some router-IP on my way to the BAs site is blacklisted), I will comment here:

Wow,
I just realize that all those tiny dots I see in the sky away from the milkyway band are part of our galaxy too. They even are very close to us.
I never spend a thought about it and just thought that a part of them are from somewhere farther out. Thousands and thousands of lightyears away...

Phil, thank you for ripping my view of the night sky apart and making it possible for me to assemple it in the correct way.
That's what I love this site for.

The Bad Astronomer
2007-Feb-20, 03:24 AM
:-)

hhEb09'1
2007-Feb-20, 02:46 PM
:-)I guess we can keep some bugs :)

peter eldergill
2007-Mar-01, 03:10 AM
I keep getting the same ad for "Did Jesus Exist?" It's a very large ad and very annoying..but it comes up everytime (not as a popup BTW)

Pete

The Backroad Astronomer
2007-Apr-02, 03:47 AM
Has there been any new blog entries since the 24 mar (just wondering new security features at work).

HenrikOlsen
2007-Apr-02, 04:08 AM
At least one every day since the 24th, up 'til the 1st.

The Backroad Astronomer
2007-Apr-02, 04:24 AM
Thanks Henrik, I can see them if I go into the archives, also thanks for checking out sampla it was just a
guess.

2007-Apr-10, 06:15 AM
BA Blog:

Big Announcement Part 1: My next book! (http://www.badastronomy.com/bablog/2007/04/08/big-announcement-part-1-my-next-book/)
Big Announcement Part 2: A bunch of other stuff that happened! (http://www.badastronomy.com/bablog/2007/04/09/big-announcement-part-2-a-bunch-of-other-stuff-that-happened/)

Sticks
2007-Apr-10, 04:15 PM
BA Blog:
Big Announcement Part 2: A bunch of other stuff that happened! (http://www.badastronomy.com/bablog/2007/04/09/big-announcement-part-2-a-bunch-of-other-stuff-that-happened/)

This entry has disappeared :confused:

2007-Apr-10, 06:18 PM
This entry has disappeared :confused:

Just noticed. Maybe it got retracted, or just delayed, or accidentally went missing. I probably shouldn't say what it was -- beyond that it was the second shoe to drop. You could probably guess that much from the fact that there exists a "Big Announcement Part 1".

Just in case anyone's the fretful type, it was certainly nothing worriable for your typical BAUT member.

Brad.C
2007-Apr-10, 07:30 PM
Hmmmm.... Maybe the moon-hoax conspiracy people finally found him!! AAAAHHH!!!

HenrikOlsen
2007-Apr-10, 09:09 PM
I guess it needed a rewrite, which hasn't finished yet.

The Bad Astronomer
2007-Apr-10, 10:52 PM
I took it down pending some further updates. It'll be back up again soon. Sorry about any confusion.

The Backroad Astronomer
2007-Apr-11, 12:48 AM
Well I now I really need to find a copy of the first book befroe the second one comes out.

George
2007-Apr-16, 06:36 PM
Does anyone know who the fallen photographer was in getting that new Cydonia Face shot? :D

http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/9295/marsmanrc9.th.jpg (http://img339.imageshack.us/my.php?image=marsmanrc9.jpg)

Sticks
2007-Jun-14, 07:52 PM
I appear to be banned from posting any links on the blog whilst others are allowed to post them with impunity, what did I do wrong?

The Bad Astronomer
2007-Jun-15, 12:43 AM
Sticks, I don't know why your post was held for moderation. But this has happened before, and as I have told you before, you are not being banned or anything like that. It's something in the software.

The Bad Astronomer
2007-Jun-15, 01:11 AM
Ah-- I saw the post, and the spam software flags anything with two links in it or more. Yours had two so it got put in the queue. I accepted it.

Sticks
2007-Jun-15, 05:19 AM
Sticks, I don't know why your post was held for moderation. But this has happened before, and as I have told you before, you are not being banned or anything like that. It's something in the software.

I forgot to re-read the old replies on this thread before my last posting here :doh:

Grand_Lunar
2007-Jul-09, 12:51 PM
It seems I have that spam problem that's afflicting a lot of other people here.
I'm not sure if the solution offerred will work on my computer.

I have HughesNet, and I'm not sure if a reset is a good thing, especially since the computer is shared by other users. Would it be easier just to give the BA the technical support key #?

Sticks
2007-Jul-12, 08:39 AM
I tried to post a link on the BA Blog to the thread I had started here about the subject in Phil's blog (Galaxy Zoo) and my post just disappeared and there was not even a reference as to whether it was being held prior to approval by Phil.

Has the Blog been made to stop me, in particular from posting any links, as I noticed others did not have this issue.

I tried posting the link in < a > tags and on it's own, the the same result it is as if I had never posted.

Edit after doing soime testing it seems my links to a thread here are rejected, but not a link to an external site :confused:

George
2007-Jul-12, 05:24 PM
Can you enter under another name?

One Skunk Todd
2007-Jul-13, 01:47 PM
Ah-- I saw the post, and the spam software flags anything with two links in it or more. Yours had two so it got put in the queue. I accepted it.

Ah, that would explain what's going on with my posts in GalaxyZoo thread. Sorry to make you have waste time approving things.

Sticks
2007-Jul-24, 04:00 PM
Since the recent changes, every time I post I get the following

Regex ID: 18261 () appears to be an invalid regex string! Please fix it in the Blacklist control panel.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/badastro/domains/badastronomy.com/public_html/bablog/wp-content/plugins/SK2/sk2_util_class.php:208) in /home/badastro/domains/badastronomy.com/public_html/bablog/wp-comments-post.php on line 67

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/badastro/domains/badastronomy.com/public_html/bablog/wp-content/plugins/SK2/sk2_util_class.php:208) in /home/badastro/domains/badastronomy.com/public_html/bablog/wp-comments-post.php on line 68

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/badastro/domains/badastronomy.com/public_html/bablog/wp-content/plugins/SK2/sk2_util_class.php:208) in /home/badastro/domains/badastronomy.com/public_html/bablog/wp-comments-post.php on line 69

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/badastro/domains/badastronomy.com/public_html/bablog/wp-content/plugins/SK2/sk2_util_class.php:208) in /home/badastro/domains/badastronomy.com/public_html/bablog/wp-includes/pluggable.php on line 331

Ian R
2007-Jul-26, 12:11 AM
This is the problem I'm having with the blog at the moment; the third column is displaced to the bottom of the page under the other two columns:

http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/156/bablogqc5.th.jpg (http://img440.imageshack.us/my.php?image=bablogqc5.jpg)

I'm running IE 6 in Windows XP Second Edition.

The Bad Astronomer
2007-Jul-26, 01:33 AM
Ian, are you still getting that problem? I don't see it on my browser, and it may have been a temp thing while I fiddled with the code.

Ian R
2007-Jul-26, 04:30 AM
Phil, the problem is still there in Internet Explorer, but the page looks absolutely fine in Firefox.

Ian R
2007-Jul-26, 04:50 AM
Another screenshot of the front page:

http://img516.imageshack.us/img516/9169/image1rv2.th.jpg (http://img516.imageshack.us/my.php?image=image1rv2.jpg)

There's something funky going on just above the advert.

Sticks
2007-Jul-26, 06:12 PM
While trying to look at Phil's blog in FireFox, the browser suddenly closed down then another opened up with the usual "your system is compromised we can fix it". It looked like Winfix2005.

I had a frantic time shutting them down at the top right corner, avoiding the "close" box. I tried the right click on the application in the start-bar but it would not work.

I then spent nearly an hour running my anti virus which gave a clean response.

I can not remember the pop up ads as I was in a blind panic at the time, but I am now weary of visiting the blog again.

Kevn
2007-Jul-28, 03:50 PM
Phil's site has been really slow recently, and today I can't get on it at all. He must be dong some maintenance.

Laguna
2007-Jul-28, 04:11 PM
Phil's site has been really slow recently, and today I can't get on it at all. He must be dong some maintenance.
This morning (European morning, you were still asleep over there) the BAUT-Forum and UniverseToday were unaccessible too.

Sticks
2007-Jul-28, 04:18 PM
I can not seem to get to the BadAstronomy site :confused:

Laguna
2007-Jul-28, 04:39 PM
I can not seem to get to the BadAstronomy site :confused:
It seems to be down. Possibly for server maintenance or the mentioned move to an own server... ?
I cannot access it since 7:00h CET this morning. Now its 18:38h CET and still the site is inaccessible.

2007-Jul-28, 08:48 PM
It seems to be down. Possibly for server maintenance or the mentioned move to an own server... ?
I cannot access it since 7:00h CET this morning. Now its 18:38h CET and still the site is inaccessible.

Universe Today
Bad Astronomy
BAUT Forum

Were all just down for a couple more hours. Now back.

BA Blog: BA Hostiness Issues (http://www.badastronomy.com/bablog/2007/07/28/ba-hostiness-issues/)

Folks– The web host for this site, BlueVirtual, is making some changes over the weekend (changing datacenters for you tech geeks out there). The site is running abysmally slow, and I suspect this is the reason. Hopefully this will clear up in a few hours, but for now, be patient. Ironically, if you’re reading this on Saturday morning, you probably already were patient to get this far!

Sticks
2007-Jul-30, 12:59 PM
(Repeated from another related thread)

Today at work, when I was looking at Phil's blog, on my works PC, which being a civil service PC is supposed to be running top notch security, supported by a professional company, this pop up occured again.

This time I looked at the name before I went through the emergency kill procedures, and it is call Error Safe

Info from Symantec (http://www.symantec.com/security_response/writeup.jsp?docid=2006-012017-0346-99&tabid=1)

Info from Yahoo Answers (http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20060625112253AAn2K4x)

The Symantec site has given me details of what to look for in terms of folders, which I plan to look at tonight when I get home.

Incidentally when I replied to a comment about not clicking on ads, that reply went to waiting for moderation - what happened here

Sticks
2007-Jul-30, 04:57 PM
Someone else has had this problem on Phil's blog (http://www.badastronomy.com/bablog/2007/07/29/server-issues-over/#comment-125763)

BTW I have now checked using the instructions on the Symantec site and there is still no evidence that Error Safe has planted itself.

Sticks
2007-Jul-31, 10:40 AM
I hate to be a pain here, but has there been any progress in investigating how this Error Safe hijacks the blog, given that it is not just me that encountered it?

Is it part of Burst adverts?

2007-Jul-31, 01:50 PM
I hate to be a pain here, but has there been any progress in investigating how this Error Safe hijacks the blog, given that it is not just me that encountered it?

I don't get from your tale how it hijacked the BA Blog. It's an ad. If you agree to its offer, bad things may happen. And I think you didn't click on it, right? You had protective software installed that even prevented it, as I recall.

So, what's your claim? That the ad was offered up by the BA Blog and it should not have been? Is there evidence for that? Did it come certainly from the BA site? Is the BA site policy never to offer up such an ad?

In the meantime, I'm having trouble bringing my concern up to your level. I go to the BA Blog several times a day, and I don't recall seeing the ad. I don't do much to block ads, but I do block pop-ups. I know I've never accepted the Error Safe offer. I don't click on ads.

Sticks
2007-Jul-31, 02:07 PM
I don't get from your tale how it hijacked the BA Blog. It's an ad.

When it must have appeared, it closed down the browser and opened up what appeared to be one disguised as an alert dialog box, and another browser window under that. I did not even click on an advert, I was just trying to navigate through the blog clicking either the previous or next link or just to see the comments.

Plus I am not the only one this has happened to (http://www.badastronomy.com/bablog/2007/07/29/server-issues-over/#comment-125763)

So, what's your claim? That the ad was offered up by the BA Blog and it should not have been? Is there evidence for that? Did it come certainly from the BA site?

From the other guy's comment, which corroborates my experience, when we clicked the Next link, whilst navigating the blog, that was when it struck. With me it has struck twice, once on my home PC and once from my PC at work. Sofar I can find no evidence that it was on my system prior or on my works PC, which given that it is run by a professional company for the UK Civil service, has top notch security

In the meantime, I'm having trouble bringing my concern up to your level. I go to the BA Blog several times a day, and I don't recall seeing the ad. I don't do much to block ads, but I do block pop-ups. I know I've never accepted the Error Safe offer. I don't click on ads.

I do not click the ads either, but this one somehow hijacked the browser and closed it and started opening other browser windows. Maybe you have been lucky and have not yet had this happen to you, but at least two of us have had this happen. (Me twice on two different machines), and the only time so far it has shown up, was on Phil's blog

2007-Jul-31, 02:26 PM
When it must have appeared, it closed down the browser and opened up what appeared to be one disguised as an alert dialog box, and another browser window under that. I did not even click on an advert, I was just trying to navigate through the blog clicking either the previous or next link or just to see the comments.

I don't know for sure, but that sounds like action your protective software took when it recognized the ad. I think it's clear the ad was offered up by something.

It's not clear to me why you think the BA Blog site is "hijacked". What does hijacking mean to you?

Again, did the BA Blog offer up the ad? Nothing else could have? Is it the policy of the BA Blog to never offer up such an ad? Let's get your claim clear, please.

Plus I am not the only one this has happened to (http://www.badastronomy.com/bablog/2007/07/29/server-issues-over/#comment-125763)

I'd ask the same of that person.

Sofar I can find no evidence that it was on my system prior or on my works PC, which given that it is run by a professional company for the UK Civil service, has top notch security

What does "on your system" mean? The ad was presented to you -- on your system? Or you accepted their offer and it installed software -- on your system? Presenting ads is OK. Keep on not clicking.

I do not click the ads either, but this one somehow hijacked the browser and closed it and started opening other browser windows. Maybe you have been lucky and have not yet had this happen to you, but at least two of us have had this happen. (Me twice on two different machines), and the only time so far it has shown up, was on Phil's blog

What does "hijack" mean in this usage? Different from the BA Blog site being hijacked? Are you sure your own protective software didn't shut down your browser? Are you sure a bug in your browser didn't cause it to shut down when presenting the ad? If your browser shut down, how did the ad open other browser windows? Your description doesn't make sense.

I'm sorry, but your evidence that the BA Blog is doing something wrong is very slim.

Sticks
2007-Jul-31, 04:05 PM
What does hijacking mean to you?

By hijacking mean, I was no longer on the BA Blog, What ever advert that had turned up on the blog was shutting down the browser I was using to view the blog and then opening up it's own browser windows without me clicking on any advert.

What does "on your system" mean? The ad was presented to you -- on your system?

My system, means my home desktop PC. I did not get a choice as to whether I accepted or rejected the ad, it just closed the browser I was using down and opened up new browser windows.

Are you sure a bug in your browser didn't cause it to shut down when presenting the ad?

As to a bug in the Browser, on my Desktop at home I was using the latest edition of firefox, at work we have internet explorer, so this was capable of controlling two different browsers.

If your browser shut down, how did the ad open other browser windows? Your description doesn't make sense.

From my experience of Javascript it is possible to code a webpage to open up a new browser window and change its shape and deny the ability to resize the new window and it is possible to code a webpage so that it can close down. In different pages I have used such coding, legitimately. To get the effect I describe I suppose all you do is run your new window opening code followed by your existing window closing code.

2007-Jul-31, 05:30 PM
So it didn't shut down or take over your browser. It closed some windows and opened some others. That's a lot less than the impression I first received. That's a good deal less than hijacking, in my book. You haven't lost control. You have no damages.

I wouldn't want an ad to do that, but it's certainly far from being worrisome. It would be a nuisance for sure if an advertiser did that. One would hope the BA Blog would not provide such ads.

Does it? I don't know. Do you know? For sure?

What do you want us to do? Anything?

What do you want the BA to do?

Should he accuse his ad server of providing such an ad? How would he convince them that they did? Should he just pick a different ad server? Should he stop advertising?

Sticks
2007-Jul-31, 06:16 PM
Me and the other guy were both trying the view the blog when it happened, so it looks suspiciously like something in the blog or the advertisements carried on it.

One was hoping that there was some way they could be blocked, either by Phil or getting the advertising company to do it, or at least make them aware of this rouge advert.

The Bad Astronomer
2007-Jul-31, 07:19 PM
There are ads called "layers" that can redirect users. This may be what confused your browser. I have disallowed them, and so they should be gone now. I think they're evil anyway.

Sticks
2007-Jul-31, 07:20 PM
What the other guy said on the Blog if you do not want to risk visiting it

I have had the same problem as Sticks. It happened first time last week at the first day the new site layout was on. It was during the time when all this regex stuff happened too.
I do visit the blog from my works lap top. We do have all this security stuff set up with daily updates. Moreover I do only visit 2 inter net sites privately (Bad Astronomy and gmx my private e-mail account). And I can confirm it is not happening when clicking an add. It happened 2 times when I clicked on the next button on the bottom. You get immediately redirected to something that wants to make you load down something.
MAybe there was a back door open last week whenall that problems occured?

I do not think its random.

Andre

Sticks
2007-Jul-31, 07:22 PM
There are ads called "layers" that can redirect users. This may be what confused your browser. I have disallowed them, and so they should be gone now. I think they're evil anyway.

Wow we were posting almost simultaneously

I am so glad that something has been done now

It brought back awful memories of 2 years ago when my home PC got infected

Sticks
2007-Aug-01, 01:57 PM
Now why is it when I try and post to the blog now I am getting

Sorry, but your comment has been flagged by the spam filter running on this blog: this might be an error, in which case all apologies. Your comment will be presented to the blog admin who will be able to restore it immediately.
You may want to contact the blog admin via e-mail to notify him.

What am I doing wrong? :confused:

Sticks
2007-Aug-28, 10:54 AM
I don't know if it is something to do with our servers here at work, but all I am getting now of the blog is the blog title and the Digg logo. I am not seeing the text of the blogg :confused:

Sticks
2007-Aug-28, 11:13 AM
I managed to get it now

But yet again my response has been classed as spam :(

Maksutov
2007-Sep-05, 06:25 PM
Now why is it when I try and post to the blog now I am getting
Sorry, but your comment has been flagged by the spam filter running on this blog: this might be an error, in which case all apologies. Your comment will be presented to the blog admin who will be able to restore it immediately.
You may want to contact the blog admin via e-mail to notify him.What am I doing wrong? :confused:Welcome to the group. I'm now considered to be a spammer too. Neat trick for someone who adds blog comments at the rate of about once every two months.

:evil:

Sticks
2007-Sep-05, 09:19 PM
We will now have to wait until Phill gets back from his cruise before our posts will be released, by which time everyone has moved on so they will not be read, so you might as well post random letters and numbers

e.g. "dskjfesjhrwiufhr8347765fcngew76h57fwehfebr87btv34q 2c "

it will be just as read. :mad:

peter eldergill
2007-Sep-06, 09:58 PM
Welcome to the group. I'm now considered to be a spammer too. Neat trick for someone who adds blog comments at the rate of about once every two months.

Well, you make up for it here:surprised

Why don't you start your own blog, and ban yourself from the comments (and Sticks...you know you can't trust him!)

Pete

Maksutov
2007-Sep-07, 04:48 AM
Well, you make up for it here:surprised

Why don't you start your own blog, and ban yourself from the comments (and Sticks...you know you can't trust him!)

PeteGood idea!

Blog started.

Everyone excluded.

Not only from commenting but also from reading.

Now I can say what I want to say.

He, he.

http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/teufel/a010.gif

Laguna
2007-Sep-11, 08:22 AM
Welcome to the group. I'm now considered to be a spammer too. Neat trick for someone who adds blog comments at the rate of about once every two months.

Same here too...

MY ISP merges four DSL connections to get us into the public network.
Every connection has a fixed IP-Address, and every single one of those is flagged as sending SPAM-Mails (no idea why) on all major spamblock-lists.

Sticks
2007-Nov-25, 05:30 PM
Would my stuff be labelled as spam because I complained about the layer adverts which mucked around with my browsers?

Laguna
2007-Dec-13, 06:57 PM
Is the BLOG down? The server does not answer.
Server is alive. Ping goes through.

Laguna
2007-Dec-13, 07:00 PM
Error establishing a database connection

This either means that the username and password information in your wp-config.php file is incorrect or we can't contact the database server at localhost. This could mean your host's database server is down.

* Are you sure you have the correct username and password?
* Are you sure that you have typed the correct hostname?
* Are you sure that the database server is running?

If you're unsure what these terms mean you should probably contact your host. If you still need help you can always visit the WordPress Support Forums.

Sticks
2007-Dec-13, 07:05 PM
I am still being caught by the spam filter, no matter what I post and which email address I use.

Gillianren
2007-Dec-13, 08:47 PM
I am still being caught by the spam filter, no matter what I post and which email address I use.

And Phil has said, repeatedly, that there seems to be nothing he can do about that. He's also said that, without the spam filter, he'd be spending far more time than he can really spare weeding out spam by hand. I understand that it's frustrating to you that your comments are constantly caught up in it. He, however, doesn't know how to help you. No one else has seemed to know how to help you. What, exactly, do you expect to happen here?

ETA: This was my 10,000th post? Oh, well . . . .

KaiYeves
2007-Dec-13, 10:13 PM
Have you tried giving it as "Nobody@nowhere.com"? That is what I do, as I do not have an E-mail address.

Halcyon Dayz
2007-Dec-14, 05:56 AM
ETA: This was my 10,000th post? Oh, well . . . .

http://www.cosgan.de/images/more/bigs/c029.gif

Sticks
2007-Dec-14, 06:02 AM
What, exactly, do you expect to happen here?

I wondered if WordPress had some kind of support techs, with whom a log could be raised and they could investigate for Phil :confused:

Gillianren
2007-Dec-14, 07:22 AM
Phil knows you're having the problem. You don't have to tell him--and us--every time it happens.

Sticks
2007-Dec-14, 05:04 PM
Phil knows you're having the problem. You don't have to tell him--and us--every time it happens.

I thought we were supposed to mention this, so he knows to go in and unflag them