PDA

View Full Version : HJ-1 & HJ-1C satellite launch

Blob
2006-Aug-13, 02:31 PM
China’s future HJ-1 and HJ-1C reconnaissance satellites are to be launched in the second half of 2007.

The satellite will provide information on environmental changes and natural disasters.
China’s Environmental and Disaster Monitoring Satellite System (EDMSS) will provide all-weather (3 to 100m metre) imagery, and be composed of three small satellites; "Environment-1" consists of two small optical satellites, the "HJ-1A" and the "HJ-1B", and a radar satellite, the "HJ-1C".
The satellites will be run by the State Environmental Protection Administration and the National Committee for Disaster Reduction.

Read more (http://www.unescap.org/icstd/events/egm_dms/docs/china/gao_jun.ppt) (Microsoft Powerpoint)

Launch window
2006-Aug-13, 05:34 PM
I think I've seen some conflicting reports on this launch . Are these Chinese sats going to be dedicated to meteorological work and environmental studies or will they be doing military imaging and espionage ?

Blob
2006-Aug-13, 07:15 PM
Hum,
indeed,
These types of spy games do happen.
The optical camera resolution may actually have been upgraded to 1 metre, so its possible that they could conceivably be used for military imaging (The satellites will cover just eastern Asia).

But i personally doubt it with this launch, mainly because the data is supposed to be available to the international scientific community.