PDA

View Full Version : question on sunspots

suntrack2
2006-Aug-14, 01:00 PM
besides sunspot cycles, is there a immidiate cause of presence of spots on sun? is it possible? I am talking about besides sunspot cycle.

What impact falls on the global warming process when there are large number of spots on sun?

sunil

GOURDHEAD
2006-Aug-14, 02:11 PM
Many and varied depending on the density of the spots and the amount of material in the accompanying coronal mass ejections.

suntrack2
2006-Aug-16, 12:29 PM
thanks gour, for your reply. in case of the big spot whice mouth is towards earth, so it will decline the temperature of the earth in that case, if that big sunspot may cover half of the earth's circumference, so do you agree that it will be a picture to see with a very low temperature on earth. is any shadow appear on any different object in the sky of that sun spot of the sun ?

GOURDHEAD
2006-Aug-16, 12:42 PM
so do you agree that it will be a picture to see with a very low temperature on earth No, but I'm not informed about the net change in energy radiated out from the region of the sunspot nor its spectral characteristics.

Ufonaut99
2006-Aug-16, 01:07 PM
I don't think it's as simple as saying "there's a big sunspot, so the earth will be colder". No matter how large the sunspot, there's no huge percentage difference in the energy coming towards us.

Here's an interesting article (http://www.crh.noaa.gov/fsd/astro/sunspots.php)

But the jury is still out on how much sunspots can (or do) affect the Earth's climate......The reason it is hard to relate maximum and minimum solar activity (sunspots) to the Earth's climate, is due to the complexity of the Earth's climate itself. For example, how does one sort out whether a long-term weather change was caused by sunspots, or maybe a coinciding El Nino or La Nina? Increased volcanic eruptions can also affect the Earth's climate by cooling the planet. And what about the burning of fossil fuels and clear cutting rain forests?

George
2006-Aug-16, 06:12 PM
I wonder if anyone has done anything with thermal resonance due to the minor solar variations. Like the Bay of Funday with tides, or thermal resonance in power lines, is there anyone suggesting a cylcical resonance where the sun is the primary forcing function?

Kaptain K
2006-Aug-17, 08:38 AM
The "Little Ice Age" coincided with the "Maunder Minimum" when there were no (or very few) sunspots visible for about a century and a half! So. if anything, the suns output is inversely related to the number of sunspots.

George
2006-Aug-17, 04:25 PM
Yes. During this period, they also did not observer the corona during eclipses, IIRC.

Yet, I don't think the solar constant changed very much at anytime. If some kind of thermal resonance, however, was at work, then climate shifts would be more likely.

I recall driving on ice near San Angelo once and observing certain sections of power lines vibrating greatly. It was cold and not a lick of wind. These sections were in a thermal resonance, IIRC, though it was hard to imagine the huge difference a small temp. gradient could cause.

Just how the sun could induce a thermal resonance is beyond me, though. Perhaps the Earth's em field would be a better candidate for induction. (pun intended, of course)

Effendi
2006-Aug-19, 09:43 AM
I have another question on sunspots.
Is sunspot activity influenced by planets? I have seen people claiming that for example Jupiter has a great impact on sunspots. Personally, I think that the gravitational pull of all planets on the Sun is completely unimportant. But I may be wrong, how is it in fact?