PDA

View Full Version : why is the belt of venus called the belt of venus

ArgoNavis
2006-Aug-15, 10:44 AM
It seems an odd name for an atmospheric phenomena, and I pondered this as I went for my dusk walk and saw this dark ribbon on the horizon.

grant hutchison
2006-Aug-15, 11:11 AM
Mythological reference, referring not to the dark band, but the strip of red and yellow light that runs along its upper edge.
The goddess Aphrodite (Roman Venus) had a girdle (or belt) of woven gold, made for her by Hephaistos.

Grant Hutchison

Tog
2006-Aug-15, 11:11 AM
It seems an odd name for an atmospheric phenomena, and I pondered this as I went for my dusk walk and saw this dark ribbon on the horizon.

'Cause Vesus don't wear slips?

My guess (and just a guess) is that Venus normally appears in or near that part of the sky when people see it. They had to call it something, Venus is there often. Why not?

Gillianren
2006-Aug-15, 05:16 PM
Which made her even more irresistible than she was before. (Which is why it's kind of odd that her husband made it for her, since she promptly went out and cheated on him.)

94z07
2006-Aug-17, 04:14 AM
Does it have anything to do with the phenomena being visible at dusk and Venus, the morning star, only being visible just after dusk and just before dawn?

The Bad Astronomer
2006-Aug-17, 04:30 AM
Actually, Venus can never be there. The belt is highest on the opposite side of the sky from the Sun, while Venus can never get more than 44 degrees away. So the name is ironic. I have no idea how the name was picked, though!

Gillianren
2006-Aug-17, 07:19 AM
Because it's pretty? (This is actually a more serious suggestion than it may appear. After all, that's why they named Venus what they did, at least if you believe Asimov.)