PDA

View Full Version : Spaceship Huh?

PhantomWolf
2006-Aug-16, 10:33 PM
I was reading one of our numerous Health and Safety posters today and noticed a little opps.

Showing a "Decible Thermometer" it rated various sounds. Listed at the top at a rather impressive 188 db was "Apollo Launch" the arrow proudly pointing to a picture of........................

The Space Shuttle. :doh:

AGN Fuel
2006-Aug-17, 04:13 AM
I was reading one of our numerous Health and Safety posters today and noticed a little opps.

Showing a "Decible Thermometer" it rated various sounds. Listed at the top at a rather impressive 188 db was "Apollo Launch" the arrow proudly pointing to a picture of........................

The Space Shuttle. :doh:

If they can't spell 'decibel' when that is the topic of the poster, then the mis-identification of a space shuttle becomes understandable! :lol:

(btw - 188dB!! That is a scary number!)

PhantomWolf
2006-Aug-17, 11:48 PM
If they can't spell 'decibel' when that is the topic of the poster

That's more likely me than them. ;)

Dr Nigel
2006-Aug-18, 08:05 PM
I seem to recall reading somwhere that a Manowar concert clocks in around 170 dBA ... reminds me somewhat of Disaster Area from The Hitchhiker's Guide.
:-)

loglo
2006-Aug-19, 11:28 AM
reminds me somewhat of Disaster Area from The Hitchhiker's Guide.

"..with the band playing from heavily shielded bunkers on the other side of the planet, or more frequently on another planet altogether!" :D

MG1962A
2006-Aug-19, 11:40 PM
I seem to recall reading somwhere that a Manowar concert clocks in around 170 dBA ... reminds me somewhat of Disaster Area from The Hitchhiker's Guide.
:-)

I fear that might be a slightly overstated. I have been involved at a concert clocked at 130 and the pain was unbelievable. Although stories of the Who getting to 140 are common.

You also reach a point of getting enough power to fire the sound system. Example if it takes a 1000 watts to get 100 dB you need 10 times the wattage to get to 110 and ten times that to get to 120 and so on

Heres a little website that explains the mechanics pretty well

http://www.audioholics.com/FAQs/wattsvsdBs.php

Dr Nigel
2006-Aug-20, 08:18 PM
Could be I mis-remembered the figure. It was about 15 years ago.

I find the comfort / discomfort depends on where one is relative to the direction in which the tweeters are facing, rather than on the absolute loudness of the sound.

Anyhoo, that's possibly a bit too much drifting off-topic.

Being too close to a launch of a Saturn V or the space shuttle would be unpleasant for several reasons, and I think noise is third on the list. First is the exhaust gas is hot (something around 1000°C for the shuttle main engines I believe, although it obviously will cool rapidly as it disperses). Second is the fact that some rocket exhaust plumes are toxic (and I think the shuttle's SRBs have toxic exhaust, although the main engines just make water). Third is the mechanical forces, including the noise.

I should say, that's really just my guess. Where's a rocket scientist when you need one?

MG1962A
2006-Aug-21, 02:47 PM
I find the comfort / discomfort depends on where one is relative to the direction in which the tweeters are facing, rather than on the absolute loudness of the sound.

That means you have a high end ear - you can probably go a bit higher than average on your frequency range.

I have the same problem