PDA

View Full Version : Favorite alien(s) anyone?

nebularain
2003-Apr-23, 06:21 PM
Well, since we've got a favorite AI thread and a favorite Sci-Fi movie thread, why not a "Favorite Alien" thread?

(Note: "Humanoid" aliens only count if the cast includes people from Earth. So, Teal'c from SG-SG1 would count, but not Luke, Han, Leiah, etc. from Star Wars or Apollo and Starbuck from Battlestar Galactica.)

Moose
2003-Apr-23, 06:33 PM
Pretty much even between the Minbari and the Narn.

BigJim
2003-Apr-23, 06:36 PM
KLINGONS, BABY!!! Q'APLA'! (http://www.startrek.com/library/klingon.asp) tlhlmqaH-Zilm'Kach tlhlb! cheHlvlaHbe' cha peng DuS! HadlBaH veQ'!

logicboy
2003-Apr-23, 06:37 PM
SCORPIUS from FARSCAPE (http://www.scifi.com/farscape/characters/) Pure Evil

dgruss23
2003-Apr-23, 06:39 PM
The Narn.

Grand Vizier
2003-Apr-23, 07:04 PM
The Narn.

Well, I thought the Shadows rocked - but that was mostly because their ships were so cool, admittedly.

gethen
2003-Apr-23, 07:09 PM
Have to go with the big Alien from the Alein movies. Girl knew what she wanted and stopped at nothing to get it. I appreciate persistance.

Glom
2003-Apr-23, 07:12 PM
The Ferengi were cool. I also like the Asgard. The Goa'uld have rings 8) so they're pretty good.

Geo3gh
2003-Apr-23, 07:58 PM
Daleks.

"EX-TER-MIN-ATE!!"

tracer
2003-Apr-23, 08:12 PM
Nah, all those aliens y'all have mentioned so far are way too human-like for me. Even the Shadows from Babylon 5 were little more than human people in CGI crab suits.

For my money, an alien had better be alien. Like the Horta from the ST:TOS episode "Devil in the Dark." Or Solaris from the Stanislaw Lem novel of the same name.

TriangleMan
2003-Apr-23, 08:13 PM
The Predator. Love that advanced personal combat technology 8)

g99
2003-Apr-23, 08:14 PM
Borg from trek, the little cute guy (Gizmo) from Gremlins (i think he is a alien), and The Thing from john Carpenter's movie of the same name.

jokergirl
2003-Apr-23, 08:18 PM
The Guild Navigators from Dune. But they're actually human, I think.

If they don't count, take the bodyless master-mind from A.C.Clarkes novels. The final stage of evolution - now THAT rocks. And the fact I've imagined them before I read his novels.

;)

Mr. X
2003-Apr-23, 08:26 PM
Yes guild navigators are humans! Deformed humans from thousands of years of exposure to the spice... (who knows what other properties the spice has, it has so many).

I'm starting to think the spice may just be a psychohallucinogenic drug that doesn't have any properties but feels like it does. :)

As college year draws to an end, more and more of self shall be seen.

Ilya
2003-Apr-23, 08:33 PM
Borg from trek, the little cute guy (Gizmo) from Gremlins (i think he is a alien), and The Thing from john Carpenter's movie of the same name.

If we are limited to cinematic aliens, I think Borg are the best. In written SF I'd have to think, but the original Thing (story called "Who Goes There?") beats the hell out of the movies. Actually, "Who Goes There?" easily qualifies as horror, and is one of the most frightening SF stories ever written.

Glom
2003-Apr-23, 08:44 PM
One alien race that deserves a mention is those ones in the body suits from 'One False Step' of Stargate SG-1. They have a vital organ that does its thang with the help of a sound generated by that funky plant. Yes, you could see the zippers, but the episode was fundamentally brilliant. Even though they looked more human in appearance that some of Westmore's creations etc, they still seemed more alien because of the weird way they acted. It just goes to show, you don't need loads of plasticine of hi-tech FX to get alien aliens.

g99
2003-Apr-23, 08:49 PM
If we are limited to cinematic aliens, I think Borg are the best. In written SF I'd have to think, but the original Thing (story called "Who Goes There?") beats the hell out of the movies. Actually, "Who Goes There?" easily qualifies as horror, and is one of the most frightening SF stories ever written.

I thoguht the Original version was The Thing From Another World (http://us.imdb.com/Title?0044121)

Hmm..While i am of a younger generation, that story (the one i just linked) was more funny than scary.

A vegetable alien and a group of pilots in the great north. The movie is actually really funny in my opnion.

They find the Spaceship crashed in a frozen lake, so they use thermite bombs to excavate it, but end up blowing it up. :-) Fortunately they did find a single survivor. The thing is in a Ice block and they take it back to the base.

The alien is released when a moron puts a live electric blanket on the ice prison it is in. The electric blanket melts the ice and the thing goes on a killing spree (well sort of, it only kills a few people, the rest just get really scared.) .

Well there is a ego filled scientist who tries to breed the creature and feed it other people. You see the thing is a plant, but it lives off of blood.

The funniest scene in the movie is when the main characters of the movie are in one room of the base. The room is made of wood. They figured out that the thing can be killed by fire, or at least is hurt by fire, so they fill cans and buckets with kerosene.

They wait till the creature breaks into the room and then throw the jars and buckets of kerosene at it. (remeber this is in a wooden room). and then they light him on fire. The whole room goes up in flames with the people inside it and some get burned.

I laughted out loud then. The scene is so funny i could not help it. :-)

So if that is the movie, then no it was not scary at all.

But you might be talking of another movie i have not heard about. :-)

-------------------

How about the Aliens in Starcraft (computer game)?

tracer
2003-Apr-23, 09:09 PM
Well there is a ego filled scientist who tries to breed the creature and feed it other people. You see the thing is a plant, but it lives off of blood.
You sure you're not thinking of Little Shop of Horrors? ;)

daver
2003-Apr-23, 09:26 PM
"Your turn to feed the alien, Sgt. Pinback."

irony
2003-Apr-23, 09:51 PM
Frank N. Furter all the way, baby. :D

Ilya
2003-Apr-23, 10:53 PM

I thoguht the Original version was The Thing From Another World (http://us.imdb.com/Title?0044121)

Hmm..While i am of a younger generation, that story (the one i just linked) was more funny than scary.

A vegetable alien and a group of pilots in the great north. The movie is actually really funny in my opnion.

That's the first (1950's) movie based on "Who Goes There?". "The Thing From Another World" was based on the movie. Here is the full text of original story (http://www.outpost31.com/books/who.txt)

To say the movie did not do justice to the story is an understatement of the century, although to be fair, special effects in 1950's were not anywhere near what was needed. In any case, the movie was a barely disguised Cold War propaganda. I too thought it was so bad it was funny.

aporetic_r
2003-Apr-23, 11:15 PM

Blasphemer! I go with Riff Raff on that one. Humanoid, yes, but he can sing, at least one of his uniforms comes with a handy change-dispenser, and he owns a laser gun "capable of emitting a beam of pure anti-matter."

I think Iain M. Banks has some of the best non-humanoid aliens. In one of his books there was a culture called The Affront - large gas-filled bags with tentacles, as I recall. They were called The Affront because they were particularly rude. I'm reading Banks' "Look To Windward" right now, and there is a very interesting (and so far minor) alien being that consists of a larger-than-planet-size atmosphere that floats around the galaxy. It collects dust around its 'front', and big floating sentient within it basically process the dust as food. The whole thing is a giant aquarium snail for the galaxy.

China Mieville's "The Scar," (one of the best scifi/fantasy novels I have ever read) talks of some ancient aliens who visited the planet in order to conduct Possibility Mining. Apparently they lived on possibilities. Their arrival caused some major difficulties with the planet, and hijinks ensued.

Aporetic
www.polisci.wisc.edu/~rdparrish

SKY
2003-Apr-23, 11:19 PM
The little green dudes from "Spaced Invaders" :D

g99
2003-Apr-23, 11:26 PM
Almost every character from the hitchiker novels. :-)

tracer
2003-Apr-23, 11:28 PM
Pssst -- they weren't green. The video screen was wearing green-tinted sunglasses. (Just like the visitors to the Emerald City had to wear in the book version of The Wizard of Oz.)

Colt
2003-Apr-23, 11:46 PM
The aliens from Aliens.. You just have to love those films. -Colt

Nightfall
2003-Apr-24, 12:41 AM
I'll vote for Stinger from Robert McCammon's Novel, Stinger. Ah, the joys of alien biotechnology.

g99
2003-Apr-24, 02:49 AM
Heinlen stuff:

The bugs from the novel version of Starship troopers.

"Willis" from Red planet.

irony
2003-Apr-24, 02:50 AM
Pssst -- they weren't green. The video screen was wearing green-tinted sunglasses. (Just like the visitors to the Emerald City had to wear in the book version of The Wizard of Oz.)

They were too green!

Ziplock: "They don't know we're Martians!"
Pez: "How can they not know we're Martians? We're little green men with antennas!"

And Earthlings, remember, are maroon.

Ziplock: "They think we're wearing costumes."
Pez: "Whatta bunch of maroons!"

SKY
2003-Apr-24, 03:21 AM

They were too green!

Ziplock: "They don't know we're Martians!"
Pez: "How can they not know we're Martians? We're little green men with antennas!"

And Earthlings, remember, are maroon.

Ziplock: "They think we're wearing costumes."
Pez: "Whatta bunch of maroons!"

Thanks for that. I started to think that being color blind really screwed me up (I really am). I tried looking for a reference with pictures for the movie, but couldn't find one. I think I'm searching through the wrong engines. :wink:

Wingnut Ninja
2003-Apr-24, 05:12 AM
I'm rather partial to the Tytlal from the Uplift universe. Anything clever, cute, and alien can't be bad.

As far as cool aliens go, you can't beat the Shivans from Freespace. They make the Kilrathi look like Amway.

Colt
2003-Apr-24, 05:54 AM
Ohhh! Forget the Aliens, I vote for the Kzin. Best and most in-depth aliens I have ever heard of. :D -Colt

g99
2003-Apr-24, 06:05 AM
I can't believe nobody has mentinoed this but:

Alf!!

You everyday cuddly, funny, sarcastic and food munching machine! (Didn't he have a thing for cats?)

Sadly now due to a lack of interstellar jobs he has been reduced to 10-10 number commercials with that football guy.

Colt
2003-Apr-24, 06:44 AM
^ Someone get the tranquilizer gun, quick! :) -Colt

AGN Fuel
2003-Apr-24, 07:31 AM

Yep, Slartibartfast rocks. :D

jokergirl
2003-Apr-24, 08:30 AM

Yep, Slartibartfast rocks. :D

I was thinkimg of mentioning the white mice, but thought better of it.

I'll add one: every alien in Galaxy Quest. Especially Sarris.

;)

informant
2003-Apr-24, 09:48 AM
There are many interesting aliens around, I can't really single out one, but I will mention a few that come to my mind.
I thought Greedo, from Star Wars, was quite well done. I like the aliens from the Aliens films too, of course, all of them.
And I'd like to "bump up" some slightly forgotten fellows from TV : the Ovions (http://staff.bus.bton.ac.uk/fesg/bsgrpg/aliens/ovions.html).

captain swoop
2003-Apr-24, 10:08 AM

Blasphemer! I go with Riff Raff on that one. Humanoid, yes, but he can sing, at least one of his uniforms comes with a handy change-dispenser, and he owns a laser gun "capable of emitting a beam of pure anti-matter."

Surely his Sister is the best?

captain swoop
2003-Apr-24, 10:21 AM
Surely it has to be Azathoth Great Cthulhu?

or how about a Vogon?

daleks and Sontarans are good as well.

Rift
2003-Apr-24, 12:50 PM
Jar Jar Binks

Just kidding, :P

Gotcha, lol.

Anyway, I've never really thought movie aliens held a candle to aliens in novels, although that may change with CGI. Amoung my favorite aliens in novels would have to be the methane breathers in Cherryh's Chanur series. Most aliens in movies and television are MUCH too human like. I like the aliens in Farscape though, using muppets was a brillant move, even though they all bascially still act human.

Some of the best aliens on television I think, don't laugh, were on Doctor Who. Daleks, Sontorons, and the zygons had a living spaceship long before Farscape.

Grand Vizier
2003-Apr-24, 02:39 PM
Jar Jar Binks
Just kidding, :P

Well, at least you didn't mention Ewoks...

Anyway, I've never really thought movie aliens held a candle to aliens in novels, although that may change with CGI.

Totally agree. If we were going there I might want to put in a vote for Niven's Puppeteers. OK - they weren't very alien, being recognisably grasping capitalists, but I found their extreme cowardice kind of endearing compared with the usual gung-ho crowd of aliens who tend to have issues about sharing the universe with other lifeforms.

Some of the best aliens on television I think, don't laugh, were on Doctor Who. Daleks, Sontorons, and the zygons had a living spaceship long before Farscape.

How could I forget the Daleks! Those guys were the best (OK, so they couldn't go upstairs, but no-one's perfect) I hereby rescind my vote for the Shadows. Oh, and you forgot the Cybermen - creepy...

ToSeek
2003-Apr-24, 03:24 PM
How could I forget the Daleks! Those guys were the best (OK, so they couldn't go upstairs, but no-one's perfect) .

They could by Season 25:

http://www.shillpages.com/dw/story/st--7h12.jpg

SollyLama
2003-Apr-24, 03:36 PM
Stitch (Lilo and Stitch) because he's a galatic terror and a heck of an Elvis impersonator. "Also cute and fluffy!!!!"

Deeana Troi comes to mind as well. The Beta-babe from TNG. Notice how she started the series in a left over TOS type micro-skirt, abandoned the uniform entirely for about 4 seasons, then went back to a standard uniform, although still cut a bit lower..... One of the greatest chests in this quadrant!!!
Didn't Kirk do a chick with more T**s than a doberman once?

Eta C
2003-Apr-24, 04:05 PM
There's the whole alien menagerie David Brin created for his Uplift stories. Some humanoid (the Tymbrimi, notable for a unique sense of humor), some not (Tandu, arthropod and extremely nasty). All told, one of the better sets of ET's around.

dgruss23
2003-Apr-24, 04:16 PM
Eta C wrote: There's the whole alien menagerie David Brin created for his Uplift stories. Some humanoid (the Tymbrimi, notable for a unique sense of humor), some not (Tandu, arthropod and extremely nasty).

Has anybody every represented Insect/Arthropod type aliens as something other than nasty, bloodsucking, humanoid piercing monsters?

ToSeek
2003-Apr-24, 04:23 PM
Deeana Troi comes to mind as well. The Beta-babe from TNG. Notice how she started the series in a left over TOS type micro-skirt, abandoned the uniform entirely for about 4 seasons, then went back to a standard uniform, although still cut a bit lower..... One of the greatest chests in this quadrant!!!

Marina Sirtis claimed that there was a precise mathematical correlation between how much skin Troi showed and her level of intelligence. She was a total dolt in the miniskirt, got much better when she changed uniforms, then went back to a skimpier outfit for one of the movies and promptly crashed the Enterprise.

informant
2003-Apr-24, 04:24 PM
Has anybody every represented Insect/Arthropod type aliens as something other than nasty, bloodsucking, humanoid piercing monsters?

Yes. Off the top of my head, Philip J. Farmer's The Lovers (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0899683398/qid=1051201380/sr=1-35/ref=sr_1_35/002-4064856-6148819?v=glance&s=books) comes to mind.
And since I was talking about Clarke, how about the octospiders from the Rama sequels?

Grand Vizier
2003-Apr-24, 04:37 PM

Yes, but not often. Until you asked that, I'd completely forgotten James White's Sector General (http://www.sectorgeneral.com/) series. This is a veritable bestiary of aliens, but the theme is that everyone has to get on. The heroes are doctors (Sector General is a mega-hospital in space) and problems are solved by reason, not conflict. It still manages to get pretty exciting.

But, in answer to your question, one of the major characters is an insectoid doctor who is cute and empathic, and is always skittering away from clumsy creatures like humans, because of its fragile exoskeleton (I actually think that would be realistic - scaled up arthropods would likely be more fragile than us)

Wingnut Ninja
2003-Apr-24, 04:55 PM
How could I forget the Daleks! Those guys were the best (OK, so they couldn't go upstairs, but no-one's perfect) .

They could by Season 25:

http://www.shillpages.com/dw/story/st--7h12.jpg

Aww, now we're just screwed.

snowcelt
2003-Apr-24, 05:08 PM
How about Robert L Forward's aliens who dwell upon the surface of a Collapse Star in his novel Starquake. Beings the size of a rice kernal who have to contend with billions of gravities and plenty of heat.

daver
2003-Apr-24, 06:01 PM

Alan Dean Foster, in the Flinx series.

darkhunter
2003-Apr-24, 06:25 PM
I like the Pak (http://www1.tip.nl/~t619162/pakmain.htm)

snowcelt
2003-Apr-24, 07:15 PM
But darhhunter, we were talking about aliens. Everybody knows that the Pak are third stage, sterile, human beings! :wink:

td1974
2003-Apr-24, 07:23 PM
Shocked I am, that I have not heard the name Yoda.

My personal all time fav. Afterall, the little guy had some sage advice.
Such as:

Do or do not, there is no try
- and -
Luke: I don't believe it
Yoda: That is why you fail

SollyLama
2003-Apr-24, 07:28 PM
LeeLu from The Fifth Element. Milla in very little......nothin' finer.

g99
2003-Apr-24, 08:11 PM
LeeLu from The Fifth Element. Milla in very little......nothin' finer.

If you rent the unedited version, you would be surprised how much you see. :-)

Great movie.

johnwitts
2003-Apr-25, 01:10 AM
Coneheads? :oops:

tracer
2003-Apr-25, 01:36 AM
Coneheads aren't aliens. They're from France.

darkhunter
2003-Apr-25, 09:11 AM
But darhhunter, we were talking about aliens. Everybody knows that the Pak are third stage, sterile, human beings! :wink:

Oops :oops: --How about Puppeteers? (http://www.larryniven.org/puppeteer/) :lol:

nebularain
2003-Apr-25, 01:19 PM
Hmm...no one has mentioned E.T. yet. I wonder why...? :P :roll:

How about the aliens from Third Rock?

Or Mork from Ork?

:Nebularain runs from the rotten tomatoes being thrown at her:

Mainframes
2003-Apr-25, 01:53 PM
Watto from 'The Phantom Menace'. One of the few things that were cool in that film:

'What? You think you're some sort of Jedi? Mind tricks don't work on me, only money!' - Classic. :)

spaceditto
2003-Apr-25, 04:13 PM
I will go with The Men In Black (Not the movie) the other aliens. There these human like men who are bald and very white white almost purple lips wearing black suits. It is said to be true but it sounds kind of read if you read the encounters poeple had with them.

TriangleMan
2003-Apr-25, 05:13 PM
Or Mork from Ork?

:Triangleman throws rotten tomatoes at Nebularian

:Nebularain runs from the rotten tomatoes being thrown at her:

Dang! I missed! :D

Mork from Ork!? Yeah, you'd better run Neb. :)

nebularain
2003-Apr-25, 09:25 PM
Yeah, you're right. I was just being si-i-i-l-l-y.

Seriously, I like the Mimbare (they weren't mentioned yet, I don't think). How often do you see an alien race that actually has more than one culture?

Chuck
2003-Apr-25, 10:27 PM
How about The Q, in Star Trek? It's hard to beat technology like that.

johnwitts
2003-Apr-26, 12:04 AM
http://www.upn.com/shows/enterprise/crew/images/ent_crew_tpol.jpg

That's what I call an alien... I was going to mention 7 of 9, till I remembered she was human...

7 of 9... 7 of 9...

BigJim
2003-Apr-26, 01:08 AM
Still, no aliens- Star Trek or otherwise- can beat the Klingons! (http://www.startrek.com/library/klingon.asp). As far as I see it, they have three things going for them.

1) First of all, they look cooler than any other race out there. Who looks this cool?
http://www.geocities.com/TelevisionCity/Studio/2022/chang.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/TelevisionCity/Studio/2022/maltz1.jpg

2) Second, what other alien race can Christopher Lloyd do so well? Go here and click Maltz. Activate beam (http://www.klingon.org/database/audio/kruge.html) :)

3) Third, they are the only alien race with their own language. (www.kli.org)

beskeptical
2003-Apr-27, 08:12 AM
There are so many good ones but a particular alien always comes to mind. It was a TLC or Discovery show on cameras watching everywhere. In England, where the cameras can follow you down the street in certain parts of town, some guy was unhappy about them. To spoof the cops he dressed up in the best insect-like 8 foot alien costume I've seen. The cops got there minutes after he went out on the street. It was great. :lol:

Pinemarten
2003-Apr-27, 08:22 AM
The one in my shed. I'm helping him fix his ship.

nebularain
2003-Apr-27, 02:34 PM
I can't believe it! I forgot Zathras! Zathras was great -

"You are finite, Zathras is finite, this - is wrong tool."

"Zathras has lived sad life. Will probably die sad death. But at least is symmetry."

TriangleMan
2003-Apr-27, 05:26 PM
I forgot to mention the Mi-go (http://www.joink.com/homes/users/uncleselrach/gallery.html). What is not to like about fungal aliens who like to put human brains in jars! :P

aporetic_r
2003-Apr-27, 06:23 PM
I'm not sure what they're called, but I also like the aliens who built the pyramids. Thanks, guys!

Aporetic
www.polisci.wisc.edu/~rdparrish

Chuck
2003-Apr-27, 09:36 PM
Uncle Martin! (http://members.aol.com/TampaChatr/myfavoritemartian.html)

captain swoop
2003-Apr-28, 09:04 AM
I forgot to mention the Mi-go (http://www.joink.com/homes/users/uncleselrach/gallery.html). What is not to like about fungal aliens who like to put human brains in jars! :P

Yurs indeed, and they will let you go for a ride with them.

http://www.ech-pi-el.com/lovecraft/works/whisperer.htm

although these chaps are rather good as well

http://www.ech-pi-el.com/lovecraft/works/mountains.htm

captain swoop
2003-Apr-28, 09:05 AM
http://www.ech-pi-el.com/lovecraft/works/colour.htm

Complete works of Lovecraft on line at this site, html and PDF

http://www.ech-pi-el.com/lovecraft/works

TriangleMan
2003-Apr-28, 11:07 AM
Ahhhh, Cthulhu. My all time favourite world-dominating monster.

Hmmmm, is Cthulhu an alien? If you live on Earth for upteen million years you'd think you'd have citizenship by now.

captain swoop
2003-Apr-28, 12:58 PM

Hmmmm, is Cthulhu an alien? If you live on Earth for upteen million years you'd think you'd have citizenship by now.

But what is a few million years to the old ones? no more than a nap.

Grand Vizier
2003-Apr-28, 07:14 PM

But what is a few million years to the old ones? no more than a nap.

Yeah, but not all of them are such couch potatoes. Yog-Sothoth was a fairly proactive dude. Always being called up by the very mention of his eldritch and abominable name. Oops. What is that eldritch and abominable scrabbling noise I hear? Oh god, the stairs - it's coming, it's...

Captain Kidd
2003-Apr-28, 07:42 PM
I rather liked the Vang from Christopher Rowley's books. The original gou'auolds. Caterpillar looking critters that'd get onto your back, merge into your spine and take over. Then they start playing with you DNA. Forming exoskeletons, spikes, new appendages, etc.

Defender
2003-Apr-28, 07:48 PM
I rather liked the Vang from Christopher Rowley's books. The original gou'auolds. Caterpillar looking critters that'd get onto your back, merge into your spine and take over. Then they start playing with you DNA. Forming exoskeletons, spikes, new appendages, etc.

The Vang are cool- they were copied almost exactly in the Xbox game Halo, only renamed as the Flood. They still look very scary indeed though. Apparently, Halo took a great deal from Rowley's books...

Grand Vizier
2003-Apr-28, 07:51 PM

They sound good - in that case, what about the intelligent white blood corpuscles from Greg Bear's Blood Music - they form whole industrial societies in your bloodstream then turn every human body on the planet into one huge metaorganism.

informant
2003-Apr-28, 07:53 PM

Reminiscent of the film The Thing...

kucharek
2003-Apr-29, 09:30 AM
I liked the "Frogs" from "Space Patrol" ;-)
Never heard from? That was a famous German SF tv-series in 1966 (same time as Star Trek). Unfortunately, only seven episodes were done. The series had some potential and if I compare the old "Star Trek" with this series, it also was better in some ways. Some info in English at
http://www.orionspace.de/sc01.htm

And I think I wouldn't mind too much a little assimilation by the Borg queen from "First Contact"... ;-)

Harald

Chuck
2003-Apr-29, 03:19 PM
Lummox from Heinlein's The Star Beast is another favorite of mine.

darkhunter
2003-Apr-29, 08:42 PM
The Krin (http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/books/n5/n26376.htm?authorid=6168)--some cool aliens you never even see...

Beelzebob
2003-May-06, 12:56 PM
In my opinion Mork is the greatest alien.... and he's real aswell

Valiant Dancer
2003-May-06, 02:11 PM
Well, since we've got a favorite AI thread and a favorite Sci-Fi movie thread, why not a "Favorite Alien" thread?

(Note: "Humanoid" aliens only count if the cast includes people from Earth. So, Teal'c from SG-SG1 would count, but not Luke, Han, Leiah, etc. from Star Wars or Apollo and Starbuck from Battlestar Galactica.)

Your gonna make me pick ONE?!?!?!?!? :lol:

Lessee,

The Sontarans. One of the better concepts for creatures who evolved on a high gravity planet.

Honorable mentions

The Axions
The Fendahl
Predator
Zoanon

captain swoop
2003-May-07, 08:43 AM
The Sontarans. One of the better concepts for creatures who evolved on a high gravity planet.

The Axions
The Fendahl
Predator
Zoanon

I liked the Fendahl, Image of the Fendahl was the last of the true 'Gothic' Dr Whos

Zoanon was best in it's female 'crystaline' form, an amazing costume.

Zygons
Ogri
Sea Devils

ToSeek
2003-May-07, 04:26 PM

Sounds more like Eldrad ("Hand of Fear") to me. I thought Xoanon was the crazy computer that Leela and her tribe dealt with in "Face of Evil" a few episodes later.

Mark Skarr
2003-May-08, 01:58 AM
Great Golden Ones.
from the book Illegal Aliens. I don't remember who wrote it but it was great.

I'll bring the nose flute.

snowcelt
2003-May-08, 04:06 AM
Mark Skarr: Was that novel the one where an alien is placed on trial for murder? If so, I believe that would be a Robert Sawyer work.

captain swoop
2003-May-08, 07:50 AM

Sounds more like Eldrad ("Hand of Fear") to me. I thought Xoanon was the crazy computer that Leela and her tribe dealt with in "Face of Evil" a few episodes later.

Yes you are right, don't know how I made that mistake, Zoanon is the computer that the Doc had dealt with in an earlier unseen adventure.

Sorry

'Eldrad must Live'

Iain Lambert
2003-May-08, 10:43 AM
So I'm the only fan of "The Sparrow" so far, then. You must read this, its utterly brilliant. The Aliens aren't massively alien, but they are wonderfully, horribly thought out.

kucharek
2003-May-08, 11:05 AM
For some unknown reason, I just recognized that no one mentioned Eccentrica Gallumbits yet. As this is a family friendly forum, I refer those who don't know to Google. :lol:

Harald

snowcelt
2003-May-08, 02:54 PM
I just remembered Alfred Bes---'s the Demolishished Man: "Tension said the Tensor. the Tension and the Apprehension has now Begun(?)"

Odinoneeye
2003-May-09, 09:46 AM
Illegal Aliens was written by Phil Foglio. Great book, but I would have to say I like the R'prorians better than the Great Golden Ones. Giant cockroaches with a love a profit that puts the Ferrengi to shame.

I also love the Efts from Terry Pratchett's Strata. Their computers are a group of highly trained Efts each with their own computation to perform. Hey, it works for them.

Mark Skarr
2003-May-09, 10:33 PM
Illegal Aliens was written by Phil Foglio.

Ah, so it was Phil, I knew he had done the art, but I couldn't remember if he did the writing as well. Should have figured though.

But, I'd also have to say the Pkunk from Star Control 2 & 3.
A racial offshoot of the Yehat caused by a divine indescretion.
And you've got to give the Ur-Quan credit.

How 'bout the Dweenel from Star Flight 2? Anybody like them?

Mark Skarr
2003-May-10, 07:13 PM
Actually, I checked the book, it was Nick Polatta. But, I'm pretty sure I just mispelled his name. My bad.

g99
2003-May-10, 08:08 PM
Another good book is illegal alien (http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?userid=2W9HG57BAM&isbn=0441005926&itm=29) by Robert Sawyer. :-)

They send a alien to trial for murder. :-)

Warning: His other books lean heavily towards ID. They are very good, but i am just warning you.

Mark Skarr
2003-May-10, 08:34 PM
Okay, thanks for the advice. I'll have to look into it. Always looking for a good book to read.

Dickenmeyer
2003-May-12, 03:34 AM
Illegal Aliens was written by Phil Foglio.

Ah, so it was Phil, I knew he had done the art, but I couldn't remember if he did the writing as well. Should have figured though.
My signature line is from a Myth Adventures book by Robert Lynn Asprin that was illustrated by Phil Foglio. Small world.

SpaceTrekky
2003-May-17, 07:07 PM
My favorite alien speicies?
well the lsit is exceptioally long, but i will just name a few.
1. Ferangi -because they are insane and always are trying to make deals

2. Betazoid - becuase they are telepathic

3. Klingons - They have there own languge

4. Q - need i say more?

5. Romulans - becuase of their advanced tecnology

BlueAnodizeAl
2003-May-20, 07:44 PM
StarTrek: The TNG and Enterprise Borg (Voyager Borg are pansies...the borg do not negotiate!!!), The Crystaline Entity (concept is intriguing), Breen, Romulans, Klingons, Tholians, Vulcans, and the Suliban, all of the Dominion Aliens, we'll see about the new Xindi

Stargate SG-1: To'kra, Gao'uld, Asgaurd (can't the off world humans be counted?)

Can't think of anymore....brain hurts...too many favorites

captain swoop
2003-May-21, 09:40 AM
Stargate SG-1: To'kra, Gao'uld, Asgaurd (can't the off world humans be counted?)

I like the Crystal creatures from series one episode 6 'Cold Lazarus' and the Nox from episode 7 '

Also the Reetou whe first 'appeared' (if you can use that word with a Reetou) in episode 20 of series 2 'Show and Tell'

Odinoneeye
2003-May-21, 10:29 AM
Just over in the "Favorite Sci Fi books" thread and it reminded me of the book "Star Smashers of the Galaxy Rangers".

Every alien race in it learns English through listening to radio. My favorite were the black scorpions who only could get the BBC so they all talked with British accents.

Mrak
2003-May-21, 08:14 PM
I would have to say Tribles (i think that how its spelt).
this is due to their ability to seem like dumb balls of fluff but are infact the true rulers of the universe. (also they were in the original of elite still one of my altime fave comp games)

Second to them I'd say G.W. Bush

Mrak
2003-May-21, 08:47 PM
I just remebered another fave.

The Aliens out of Monty Pythons the Life of Brian

SpaceTrekkie
2003-May-21, 09:17 PM
I would have to say Tribles (i think that how its spelt).
this is due to their ability to seem like dumb balls of fluff but are infact the true rulers of the universe. (also they were in the original of elite still one of my altime fave comp games)

Second to them I'd say G.W. Bush

Ya i the tribbles are great! i think it is so funny how they hate the klingons. And the Tribble episode (the title escapes me now) is so funny when they all fall on the Captain Kirk's head.
-----------------------------------
Ha ha ha! Very funny Scottie.
Now beam down my clothes!

nebularain
2003-May-21, 09:58 PM
I'd forgotten about this guy, until I thought of him in another thread -

Lockheed! (http://www.angelfire.com/or2/marvel/lockheed.html) (from the X-Men comics).

Mrak
2003-May-21, 10:03 PM
Ya i the tribbles are great! i think it is so funny how they hate the klingons. And the Tribble episode (the title escapes me now) is so funny when they all fall on the Captain Kirk's head.

The Trouble with Tribbles I think was the name

SpaceTrekkie
2003-May-22, 01:52 AM

The Trouble with Tribbles I think was the name

Why? whats wrong with the name? I think it is fun to say. TRIBBLES (the space age bunnies)
-----------------------------------

nebularain
2003-May-22, 03:05 AM
Mrak was saying he thinks that the title of the episode is called "The Trouble with Tribbles" - which is in fact correct.

SpaceTrekkie
2003-May-22, 03:16 AM
Oh haha sorry i was kinda zoneing out :oops: . Thanks for the clarafication.
-SpaceTrekkie
-------------------------------

Rodina
2003-May-22, 01:10 PM
I too liked the two alien species in Mary Doria Russell's The Sparrow -- I just finished it and it's terrific. She spends most of her time working on the sociology and, particularly, the language of the aliens, which hints at some of their darker, unspoken aspects.

Another couple of aliens I've dug on: the Kafer, created by William H Keith for the Traveller: 2300 RPG. A species where the bulk of the population is pretty stupid (IQ: 30-ish?) - but when confronted with pain, danger or violence, an adrenaline-like substance amps up their brain capacity so their much-smarter-than-average (IQ: 130-140ish). Of course, partially this was raw plot device, but it did have some interesting secondary effects on the Kafer society -- basically, the Kafers who were consistently intelligent spent most of their time beating the hell out of the dumb ones, to keep their intelligence up.

I also like Jack Vance's Dirdir, Niven/Pournelle's Moties and Fthip, and any of the aliens from Voyage of the Space Beagle mostly for being true classics of the genre.

captain swoop
2003-May-22, 03:37 PM
I too liked the two alien species in Mary Doria Russell's The Sparrow -- I just finished it and it's terrific. She spends most of her time working on the sociology and, particularly, the language of the aliens, which hints at some of their darker, unspoken aspects.

Another couple of aliens I've dug on: the Kafer, created by William H Keith for the Traveller: 2300 RPG. A species where the bulk of the population is pretty stupid (IQ: 30-ish?) - but when confronted with pain, danger or violence, an adrenaline-like substance amps up their brain capacity so their much-smarter-than-average (IQ: 130-140ish). Of course, partially this was raw plot device, but it did have some interesting secondary effects on the Kafer society -- basically, the Kafers who were consistently intelligent spent most of their time beating the hell out of the dumb ones, to keep their intelligence up.

Sounds like Trolls on the Disk World, their brains work better as they get colder, At almost absolute zero they are super genius but the cold kills them.

DaveO
2003-May-23, 10:13 PM
Definitely - the Dilbians - one of the most delightfully readable races ever. ("Spacepaw", Gordon R. Dickson, 1983)
Gordon R. Dickson created them in a series of short stories and a couple of novels; all lots of fun to read. Take Grizzly bears; cross then with Vikings, and you've got Dilbians - about 9 feet tall; primitive in technology but not at all in intelligence; boistrous, maddeningly pragmatic; they're enough to drive humans right up the wall.
They love a good fight; they just spend so much time discussing the matter, all the possibilities and options; they never seem to get around to it.
Beyond all; they believe in following the law - it's everything to them; and they pride themselves in following the the letter of the law precicely....not the spirit.
Despite their size, strength and the importance they place on those qualities; they have a great respect for humans - or Shorties, as they call them. It works like this: They equate strength and speed with intelligence; and since each Human sent to the planet has succedded in his mission (Usually by besting a Dilbian in some clever manner) they conclude - while not at all believing it - that Shorties must be fast and powerful. Therefore; each new Human that comes to Dilbia is invariably thrust into a blood-duel created by the Dilbians who gleefully sit back to watch the fun.
It can be well understood that one of the most important prerequisites for an ambassador to Dilbia is creative thinking.

informant
2003-May-23, 10:16 PM
Did anyone read William Kotzwinkle's sequel to E.T., The Book of the Green Planet?
I thought the Microtechs were cool. In fact, all aliens in that book were cool. 8)

Mark Skarr
2003-May-24, 12:11 AM
Okay, I'm going to get out there:
How about the Naram from Renegade Legion?

pi is exactly 3
2003-May-24, 10:53 PM
in the top ten you have to have wookies. I dont think i've seen one post that mentions chewie. :o maybe I missed it.

and then there are always the Q. How much cooler than omnipotent can you ask for?

Mark Skarr
2003-May-24, 11:09 PM
in the top ten you have to have wookies. I dont think i've seen one post that mentions chewie. :o maybe I missed it.

But Wookies are just bigfoot with starfaring experience.

and then there are always the Q. How much cooler than omnipotent can you ask for?

Omnipotence is overrated.
I like Q, I think it's a great idea. But how long would knowing almost everything (remember, Q can be surprised) be interesting.
"Oh, hmm, yeah, I knew that."
You'd never go see a movie again. Life would be obscenely boring. I like my nice, mortal races (and some nearly immortal ones):
T'au, Eldar, Necrons, Tyranids, Naram, Kess'Rith, Baufrin, Yehat, Shofixti, P'Kunk, Ariloolaleelay, Elowan, Thrynn . . ..

Man . . . my geekiness is starting to get to me. . . but I'm not going to start using "l33t" speak.

(Edited because I'm simple!)

g99
2003-May-25, 03:11 AM
Cant rememeber the name of the race but i like the race the bartender on ST:TNG was. Whoopi Goldberg's character. They are really cool. Very smart and extremely long lived.

pi is exactly 3
2003-May-25, 11:13 AM
I cant remember what she is either but i know she is one of the last of her race. Very cool indeed. Has to be one of the best acting jobs in startrek.

ToSeek
2003-May-25, 01:43 PM
Cant rememeber the name of the race but i like the race the bartender on ST:TNG was. Whoopi Goldberg's character. They are really cool. Very smart and extremely long lived.

El-Aurians, often called "Listeners." (http://www.sherylfranklin.com/trekwomen_guinan.html)

captain swoop
2003-May-28, 08:41 AM
Daleks! No contest.

See http://www.thisplanetearth.co.uk/index_page0033.htm

Kizarvexis
2003-May-29, 11:03 PM
The Centauri! They have six!

The Narn. Who can forget G'Kar and some of his speeches. "No dictator... no invader... can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot stand. The Centauri learned this lesson once. We will teach it to them again. Though it take a thousand years, we will be free."

The Drazi. Green! Purple!

The poor Markabs.

The Minbari. (base eleven counting, ouch)

The Pak'ma'ra. Carrion eaters with an approved food list! :)

The Vorlons. ~Yes~

The Shadows. "What do you want?"

The Walkers of Sigma 957. No weapons, but scanners so powerful they ARE weapons.

The Dilgar. Homicidial, evil cats.

Lorien.

The Soul Hunters.

The Vree. Hey, its the Greys and you can travel to B5 to sue them for abducting your grandparents! :) (Don't expect big rewards, though)

Babylon 5 had great aliens and this is only some of them.

Kizarvexis

CthulhuBob
2003-May-29, 11:18 PM
Some of the most well-rounded non-stereotyped alien races on TV were on Babylon 5. They weren't all just humans with funny faces like on Trek. Heck, some couldn't even breathe an oxy atmosphere! Oh, and yes it is my fave SF series now that you ask :lol: . But what I want to know is what was the name of that race that closed all diplomatic agreements with S-E-X and had an interpreter speak for them with less sexually evolved races?

Kizarvexis
2003-May-30, 02:01 AM
The Lumati. They didn't talk with inferior lifeforms. And it wasn't sexually evolved or not, that was just how they concluded agreements. Cmdr Ivanova was tasked with the Lumati negoitiations by Cpt. Sheridan who didn't know the little fact above, no one did.

The Lurker's Guide to Babylon 5 (http://www.midwinter.com/lurk/lurker.html)

Minor spoilers below for 'Acts of Sacrifice'

-

-

-

From the synopsis of 'Acts of Sacrifice' on the Lurker's Guide to Babylon 5
Sheridan previously told her that the Earth Alliance really wants this treaty and to do whatever is necessary to get it.
Ivanova meets the Lumati delegation in the docking bay, and introduces herself to the two Lumati. One speaks and identifies himself as Correlilmerzon. She asks the other his name, but the same one speaks again with the same response. He explains that he speaks through his translator, as it would be inappropriate to speak with an inferior life form. He says that he must investigate further before he can speak to her directly, and that, once he decides, he may honor them by meeting other Lumati. Ivanova isn't thrilled at hearing this, but takes the two off on a tour of the station.

Later, during a tour of downbelow, Correlilmerzon is impressed by how the humans segregate the haves from the have-nots and takes over the negotiations. Ivanova tries to explain that downbelow wasn't planned, but gives in when it is apparent that the Lumati will sign the treaty that the Earth Alliance wants. She then finds out about the 'sex sealing the deal' part and panics. It is hilarious after that. This is a season 2 ep and is out on the Season 2 DVD.

Kizarvexis

Alex W.
2003-May-30, 12:05 PM
Medusa from Arthur C. Clarke's Meeting With Medusa, and its creative offspring in the 2001 books. Marvellous.

The aliens in the Rama books were impressive too, although I kept associating the Avians with giant mecha-dragon Ridley from the Metroid videogames. Such is life.

CthulhuBob
2003-May-30, 04:03 PM
Wow, Kizarvexis! Now I won't even have to go back and watch the ep (hehe). And I always new that Paul Williams was an alien :lol: . I realized that I was a bit unfair about Trek in my last comment though, the Borg are still one of the coolest aliens they came up with. And from the sounds of what others are saying I'm glad I didn't catch any of the Borg eps on Voyager. And I can't believe I didn't agree with other people on the xenomorph from the Alien series and J. Carpenter's Thing. They both have very interesting biologies that makes them even more convincing.

Kizarvexis
2003-May-30, 04:26 PM
Wow, Kizarvexis! Now I won't even have to go back and watch the ep (hehe).

Well, Babylon 5, Crusade and the B5 moveis are my favorite TV shows. The Lurker's Guide is a real good resource on the show, especially the JMS speaks sections on each episode. I have really learned by reading his comments on the various episodes.

Kizarvexis

nmal524
2003-May-31, 03:39 AM
Tie between the queen from aliens or the alien from the thing.

g99
2003-May-31, 04:04 AM
Tie between the queen from aliens or the alien from the thing.

That is a good "who would win" type of thing.

My opinion the Alien form Carpenters version of the thing would win. It would just infect the Alien queen. But that acid blood could be very nasty. :-)

Launch window
2006-Feb-02, 03:18 AM
Minbari Federation, Replicants in Blade Runner, Hynerians in Farscape, Leviathans in Farscape, reptilian character in Enemy Mine, Xenomorphs or H.R. Giger Aliens in the Cameron/Scott movie, 'Kryptonians from DC Comics, false Maria in Metropolis, Bene Gesserit, Sandworms in Dune, Shi'ar from Marvel Comics, Borg Collective

erisi236
2006-Feb-02, 04:09 PM
the Kilaaks from Destroy all Monsters! Gotta love hot alien women who dress in glimmering chainmail. :whistle: :dance:

melrik
2006-Jun-10, 10:08 PM
My favorites:
The visitors from Trafalmador in Vonneguts 'Slaughterhouse Five."

Maksutov
2006-Jun-10, 10:12 PM
My favorites:
The visitors from Trafalmador in Vonneguts 'Slaughterhouse Five."Those guys were great! Look how they treated Billy Pilgrim (ah, Montana!). Any alien species that resembles a plumber's helper and communicates by tap dancing and farting is OK in my book. ;)

melrik
2006-Jun-10, 10:18 PM
They also had a role in Vonneguts "Sirens of Titans." I believe...
Yeah, they were great! An alien race whose spaceship crashed on Titan, they were manipulating human history as an SOS to thier homeplanet for help.

I remember Stonehenge was a reply back from Tralafalmador reading "Relax, help is on the way.."

Hutch
2006-Jun-11, 12:56 AM
Just enjoyed rummaging around this old resurrected thread, and would like to add a couple:

1. Barlennen and the rest of the Mesklinites of Hal Clements "Mission of Gravity" Centipede-like creatures on a planet with 600G's at the equator.

2. The Poul Anderson "Trader to the Stars" crew with Chee Lan (small feline-based) and Adzel (Buddist Dragon). Why nobody has made this moviue/Tv show yet is beyond me.

3. Almost forgot. The Moties from Niven/Pournelles The Mote in God's Eye. Maybe the best-developed alien character ever.

Maksutov
2006-Jun-11, 01:26 AM
[edit]Homicidial, evil cats...Isn't that phrase redundant? ;)

TheBlackCat
2006-Jun-11, 03:33 AM
Let's see:

Metroids. They start out as cute vicious, fanged, flying, life-sucking jellyfish (http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n02/dmg/mea/enem/meto/m_01.gif) the size of a easy chair, grow eyes and a body (http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n02/dmg/mea/enem/meto/m_02.gif), then legs (http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n02/dmg/mea/enem/meto/m_03.gif), then a head (http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n02/dmg/mea/enem/meto/m_04.gif), get about ten feet tall (http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n02/dmg/mea/enem/meto/m_05.gif), then grow to giant, visious fanged monster the size of a large bus (http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n02/dmg/mea/enem/meto/m_06.gif), with a 10-foot long retractable neck, a mouth large enough to swallow someone whole, the ability to spit a half dozen energy balls simultaneously, and a very rapid reproductive rate. They were able to completely overwhelm a planet in what would appear to be under a decade, despite the fact that there were at most only a few dozen of them.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v89/toddrme/Smileys/metroid/icon_metroid.gif http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v89/toddrme/Smileys/metroid/icon_metroid.gif http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v89/toddrme/Smileys/metroid/icon_metroid.gif http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v89/toddrme/Smileys/metroid/icon_metroid.gif http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v89/toddrme/Smileys/metroid/icon_metroid.gif

Also dark lord Dark Star Dubridigdo (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v89/toddrme/normal_slayerstry66_darkstar01.jpg). A giant, black, winged, dragonfly-like demon king (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v89/toddrme/dark_escape.jpg) from another planet that decides it is a good idea to wipe out all life in the universe. He's insanely powerful, almost crushing the main character just by trying to move. He also made a bow and arrow (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v89/toddrme/slayerstrybow.jpg) with approximately the power of a tactical nuclear warhead and unlimited ammo. Not to mention he is nearly indestructible, it takes 7 people casting 3 spells simultaneously (a pair of spells and a fusion spell to combine them) and using 5 of his own weapons against him to kill him, and even then they had to weaken him by cutting him in half before that would even be an option.

Ancient Zoidians. They looks like humans, exactly like them, but they are smart, resourceful, and the females at any rate have varying degrees of telepathic power, anywhere between simply sensing emotion or tracking someone telepathically to mind-controlling an entire military base, including all the humans and all the machines present. Plus they can be pretty hilarious at times, or perhaps they are all just out of their minds.

The intelligent jellyfish things from Abyss were pretty cool looking. Cute and approachable, but decidely non-human. I would honestly be surpirsed if they had human heads like that, but otherwise they were quite good.

Emperor Sea Striders. A creature the size of a small mountain that eats the ground it walks on with its feet.

Kirby! Who can hate a little, blue-eyed, pink walking marshmallow that can out-eat anything? Plus he can absorb the abilites of whomever he swallows, even turning them into helpers? Meta-knight is pretty cool too. Can't beat bat wings, a sword, a giant airship, and a heavily-armed mechanical lobster. "Unleash mecha-lobster!"

Gemini
2006-Jun-11, 03:41 AM
The Asgard, Ferengi, Vulcans,Ford, Zaphod,Deep Thought, The 2001 Aliens, and Dennis Rodman :D ;) (MIB)

TheBlackCat
2006-Jun-11, 03:42 AM
Deep thought is a computer. He doesn't count.

Which Asgard are you talking about?

jimc5499
2006-Jun-22, 08:39 PM
Saberhagen's Beserkers
Ultraman
The Kazin
The Psychlos, Selachees and the Bolbods from Battlefield Earth (the book not the crappy movie)
The Gamilons (from Star Blazers)
The aliens from the TV series UFO

Gemini
2006-Jun-22, 09:57 PM
Deep thought is a computer. He doesn't count.

Which Asgard are you talking about?

Oops,and

All of them

Ilya
2006-Jun-24, 12:31 AM
1. Mechs (Benford's Galactic Center series)
2. Kzinti
3. Wan-To (Pohls' The World at the End of Time)
4. Podia (also Galactic Center)

i only ponder
2006-Jun-27, 08:34 PM
the asgard, zaphod beeblebrox and Lrr, empereror of the planet omicron persei 8

publiusr
2006-Jun-28, 05:31 PM
Let's see:

Metroids. They start out as cute vicious, fanged, flying, life-sucking jellyfish (http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n02/dmg/mea/enem/meto/m_01.gif) the size of a easy chair, grow eyes and a body (http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n02/dmg/mea/enem/meto/m_02.gif), then legs (http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n02/dmg/mea/enem/meto/m_03.gif), then a head (http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n02/dmg/mea/enem/meto/m_04.gif), get about ten feet tall (http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n02/dmg/mea/enem/meto/m_05.gif), then grow to giant, visious fanged monster the size of a large bus (http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n02/dmg/mea/enem/meto/m_06.gif), with a 10-foot long retractable neck, a mouth large enough to swallow someone whole, the ability to spit a half dozen energy balls simultaneously, and a very rapid reproductive rate. They were able to completely overwhelm a planet in what would appear to be under a decade, despite the fact that there were at most only a few dozen of them.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v89/toddrme/Smileys/metroid/icon_metroid.gif http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v89/toddrme/Smileys/metroid/icon_metroid.gif http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v89/toddrme/Smileys/metroid/icon_metroid.gif http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v89/toddrme/Smileys/metroid/icon_metroid.gif http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v89/toddrme/Smileys/metroid/icon_metroid.gif

Also dark lord Dark Star Dubridigdo (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v89/toddrme/normal_slayerstry66_darkstar01.jpg). A giant, black, winged, dragonfly-like demon king (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v89/toddrme/dark_escape.jpg) from another planet that decides it is a good idea to wipe out all life in the universe. He's insanely powerful, almost crushing the main character just by trying to move. He also made a bow and arrow (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v89/toddrme/slayerstrybow.jpg) with approximately the power of a tactical nuclear warhead and unlimited ammo. Not to mention he is nearly indestructible, it takes 7 people casting 3 spells simultaneously (a pair of spells and a fusion spell to combine them) and using 5 of his own weapons against him to kill him, and even then they had to weaken him by cutting him in half before that would even be an option.

Ancient Zoidians. They looks like humans, exactly like them, but they are smart, resourceful, and the females at any rate have varying degrees of telepathic power, anywhere between simply sensing emotion or tracking someone telepathically to mind-controlling an entire military base, including all the humans and all the machines present. Plus they can be pretty hilarious at times, or perhaps they are all just out of their minds.

The intelligent jellyfish things from Abyss were pretty cool looking. Cute and approachable, but decidely non-human. I would honestly be surpirsed if they had human heads like that, but otherwise they were quite good.

Emperor Sea Striders. A creature the size of a small mountain that eats the ground it walks on with its feet.

Kirby! Who can hate a little, blue-eyed, pink walking marshmallow that can out-eat anything? Plus he can absorb the abilites of whomever he swallows, even turning them into helpers? Meta-knight is pretty cool too. Can't beat bat wings, a sword, a giant airship, and a heavily-armed mechanical lobster. "Unleash mecha-lobster!"

That's a good list.

Mellow
2006-Jul-04, 09:26 AM
I knda liked the water crystals from some 1950's scifi film I can't remember. They grew with water, but were killed by salt. Always made me laugh given the amound of salt water here... can anyone remember the film?

captain swoop
2006-Jul-04, 11:04 AM
Daleks of course!

Although Sontarans are good as well!

TheBlackCat
2006-Jul-04, 05:27 PM
That's a good list.

Which ones of those do you like in particular?

clar380
2006-Aug-24, 04:42 AM
Wotta bunch ov trekkyz. lol. no offens, K?

Paul Beardsley
2006-Aug-24, 06:27 AM
I knda liked the water crystals from some 1950's scifi film I can't remember. They grew with water, but were killed by salt. Always made me laugh given the amound of salt water here... can anyone remember the film?

The Marching Monoliths, IIRC.

Maksutov
2006-Aug-24, 07:44 AM
The Marching Monoliths, IIRC.Would those be these? (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0050720/)