View Full Version : William Shatner Roast Tonight on Comedy Central

Dave Mitsky
2006-Aug-20, 06:54 AM
Be there or be a Trekkie!

http://www.comedycentral.com/shows/roast_shatner/index.jhtml

Dave Mitsky

Maksutov
2006-Aug-20, 08:53 AM
One wonders if the fan, which has been featured prominently in the narrative for the various advertisements for this show, will make an appearance? ;)

Romanus
2006-Aug-20, 04:20 PM
IMO, Shatner roasts himself just by being himself.

:D

Dave Mitsky
2006-Aug-20, 06:01 PM
That's an astute observation. I think ole Bill's parodying himself at times in his role as Denny Crane on Boston Legal. He really is great as that character.

http://abc.go.com/primetime/bostonlegal/cast_bios/index.html

Dave Mitsky

The Backroad Astronomer
2006-Aug-20, 10:33 PM
kevin.......pollack......will....more.... then.....likely..... will....do.....his.....impression..... of......shatner.(..... equals shatner pauses).

obscured by clouds
2006-Aug-20, 10:39 PM
I think it is going to be brutal. They are going to rip him a new one.

I saw the one with Pamela Anderson, and even I was totally shocked at what was said, truly evil but funny as hell. :)~

The Backroad Astronomer
2006-Aug-20, 10:48 PM
i want see them roast Jerry Seinfeld.

Dave Mitsky
2006-Aug-21, 08:24 AM
I think it is going to be brutal. They are going to rip him a new one.

I saw the one with Pamela Anderson, and even I was totally shocked at what was said, truly evil but funny as hell. :)~

The roasters were merciless but Pamela took every low blow with surprising grace.

Dave Mitsky

Maksutov
2006-Aug-21, 10:45 AM
The roasters were merciless but Pamela took every low blow with surprising grace.

Dave MitskyShe's good at that. :)

captain swoop
2006-Aug-21, 10:52 AM
Shatner stars in a series of breakfast cerial ads in the UK, he is good at Roasting himself lol.

sarongsong
2006-Aug-21, 07:51 PM
Be there or be a Trekkie!...Or both...
August 16, 2006
Thousands will descend on Las Vegas, Nevada this weekend...Shatner and Nimoy, both 75, will be on hand to sign autographs at the convention which will feature four days of Trek seminars and fan meetings. Turkish Press (http://www.turkishpress.com/news.asp?id=137820)

Dave Mitsky
2006-Aug-21, 10:12 PM
The Shatner Roast was hilarious! Nothing, and I mean nothing, was held back.

Dave Mitsky

Maksutov
2006-Aug-22, 07:22 AM
That roast was disgusting, obscene, politically incorrect, gender biased, rude, vulgar, embarrassing, disrespectful, cheap, insulting, and no one involved thought about the children.

In other words, it was hilarious, original, and inspired! WTG, Comedy Central!

I could quote some the remarks (many of which got "bleeped" by the censors who don't seem to realize most folks can fill in the blank from the context, thank you for protecting our children, FCC), but I'd get banned. Nuts!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Tog
2006-Aug-22, 07:28 AM
That roast was disgusting, obscene, politically incorrect, gender biased, rude, vulgar, embarrassing, disrespectful, cheap, insulting, and no one involved thought about the children.

In other words, it was hilarious, original, and inspired! WTG, Comedy Central!

I could quote some the remarks (many of which got "bleeped" by the censors who don't seem to realize most folks can fill in the blank from the context, thank you for protecting our children, FCC), but I'd get banned. Nuts!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Ahh but in a few short weeks it will make it to the coveted 'secret stash' timeslot where they edit nothing. That's where I saw the Pam Anderson one. Not a single bleep to be had.

Maksutov
2006-Aug-22, 07:32 AM
Ahh but in a few short weeks it will make it to the coveted 'secret stash' timeslot where they edit nothing. That's where I saw the Pam Anderson one. Not a single bleep to be had.Tell me more, such as time, channel (Comedy Central?), etc. If CC, I take it this is the same time slot as when the South Park movie has been shown bigger, longer, and uncut?

Tog
2006-Aug-22, 07:44 AM
Tell me more, such as time, channel (Comedy Central?), etc. If CC, I take it this is the same time slot as when the South Park movie has been shown bigger, longer, and uncut?

Indeed. Comedy Central. Usually around 3 am Eastern on a weeknight. THey call it the Secret Stash and have aired movies like Halfbaked and Clerks there, un-edited. I'm not sure about nudity issues, but languge is not a concern for them.

Maksutov
2006-Aug-22, 08:59 AM
Indeed. Comedy Central. Usually around 3 am Eastern on a weeknight. THey call it the Secret Stash and have aired movies like Halfbaked and Clerks there, un-edited. I'm not sure about nudity issues, but languge is not a concern for them.Thanks! The DVR will be on alert.
:)

Romanus
2006-Aug-22, 02:10 PM
I heart the Secret Stash. ;)

Maksutov
2006-Aug-22, 02:13 PM
I heart the Secret Stash. ;)ROTFLMAO! Good to see another literalist here! :clap:

Hokie
2006-Aug-22, 04:19 PM
The only problem I had with it is they spent so much time on other people. Should have been more roasting of Shatner and less of others

Kesh
2006-Aug-22, 06:19 PM
That seems typical of any roast I've seen.

I'd say George Takei had the funniest jokes out of everyone up there. :)

Humphrey
2006-Aug-23, 03:57 PM
Some of it was really funny, however most were groan inducing [Get off the stage you moron] comedians. I love the disgusting and vile humor when i hear it. Its usualy some of the funniest stuf out there. But every darn comedian said basically the same darn jokes.

Takei was hilarious and so was Alexander in his intro. Betty white or whatever her name is was great too. Frankly the rest sucked or were only giggle inducing. I really wish they just took farah fawcett off the stage. She was just...uggghhh...Why was she even there?

I mean a real roast should of been more Trek cast members and 90% of the jokes on Shatner, not the other way around like this one was.

Dave Mitsky
2006-Aug-24, 05:33 PM
I agree that Farah shouldn't have been there but I found everyone else who actually took the mic to be quite funny.

I believe it is common in roasts for everyone to be fair game.

Dave Mitsky

Gillianren
2006-Aug-24, 08:23 PM
When they used to play the Friars' Club roasts, those roasts would actually be primarily aimed at the roast-ee, not the audience. One or two cheap shots at Abe Vigoda was fine, but if it was Rob Reiner's roast, most of the jokes were actually about Rob Reiner.

Maksutov
2006-Aug-25, 05:05 AM
I agree that Farah shouldn't have been there but I found everyone else who actually took the mic to be quite funny. Agreed. She was the only "bump" in the road. Farrah would have been much better if her skin had been painted metallic green, and she just danced a little, not saying anything. You know, like a CEV slave girl. ;)

I believe it is common in roasts for everyone to be fair game.True. At the various company roasts I've MCed or participated in, everyone came prepared to receive from and give to anyone else. http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/boese/p035.gif

Hokie
2006-Aug-26, 07:41 PM
I believe it is common in roasts for everyone to be fair game.

Dave Mitsky

I have no problem with everyone being fair game but it is the Rost of William Shatner not the Rost of everybody in the room. I think most of the jokes should be about the rostee.

Maksutov
2006-Aug-27, 03:14 PM
I have no problem with everyone being fair game but it is the Rost of William Shatner not the Rost of everybody in the room. I think most of the jokes should be about the rostee.Well, perhaps in a Rost the rules are different, but in a Roast, everyone is fair game. Even such defenseless persons as Farrah Fawcett. ;)

R.A.F.
2006-Aug-27, 04:56 PM
I wasn't particularly impressed with the "quality" of the humor. It seemed like everyone was "trying" to hard...as if they equated being off-color with being funny...

There was certainly nothing funny about the AIDS "jokes".

Maksutov
2006-Aug-28, 05:55 AM
I wasn't particularly impressed with the "quality" of the humor. It seemed like everyone was "trying" to hard...as if they equated being off-color with being funny...

There was certainly nothing funny about the AIDS "jokes".Never go to a roast expecting sophisticated humor!

http://www.cosgan.de/images/midi/frech/a080.gif

Dave Mitsky
2006-Aug-28, 08:04 PM
Perhaps the information at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roast_(comedy) will enlighten those who don't seem to know just what a comedy roast is.

Dave Mitsky

BigDon
2006-Sep-04, 12:51 PM
Can somebody please explain to me how Andy Dick finds work? The mans a walking insult to my intelligence.

Tog
2006-Sep-04, 01:14 PM
Can somebody please explain to me how Andy Dick finds work? The mans a walking insult to my intelligence.
Someone has to take the jobs that are too stupid for Tom Green.

Gillianren
2006-Sep-04, 08:40 PM
Someone has to take the jobs that are too stupid for Tom Green.

And isn't it kind of scary that those exist?

Andy Dick wasn't bad on NewsRadio, though he certainly wasn't good either. I haven't voluntarily watched more than a second or two of anything he's done since.

Jakenorrish
2006-Sep-12, 10:12 AM
:blush:

Doodler
2006-Sep-12, 07:08 PM
When they used to play the Friars' Club roasts, those roasts would actually be primarily aimed at the roast-ee, not the audience. One or two cheap shots at Abe Vigoda was fine, but if it was Rob Reiner's roast, most of the jokes were actually about Rob Reiner.

Aww, now come on. The one shot at Adam Carola getting his name by being conceived in the back seat of one was a great shot during Pamela Anderson's roast.

Speaking of which, how do you roast Rob Reiner? Play reruns of All in the Family?

Gillianren
2006-Sep-12, 08:21 PM
Aww, now come on. The one shot at Adam Carola getting his name by being conceived in the back seat of one was a great shot during Pamela Anderson's roast.

See, one joke. That's funny. Turning on fellow roasters and savaging them, not so much.

Speaking of which, how do you roast Rob Reiner? Play reruns of All in the Family?

Heh. Well, certainly you make more jokes about it than I, personally, thought were possible. (Then again, I never really watched it--since my real name is Edith, I'm sure you can imagine why.) Also digs at his attempts to live up to his dad--and Richard Dreyfuss has known him since they were kids.

Doodler
2006-Sep-13, 04:10 PM
Heh. Well, certainly you make more jokes about it than I, personally, thought were possible. (Then again, I never really watched it--since my real name is Edith, I'm sure you can imagine why.) Also digs at his attempts to live up to his dad--and Richard Dreyfuss has known him since they were kids.

Understandable, really. As much as I really do respect Reiner's work, there's a part of me that can't see his name pop up without having "Meathead" echo in the back of my mind. :)