PDA

View Full Version : Well aren't I a happy little camper!

Peter B
2003-Apr-24, 08:44 AM
This afternoon I spent an hour visiting the archives at the Tidbinbilla Tracking Station outside Canberra, as a guest of the Education and Outreach Officer there.

In a non-descript building I got to see all sorts of amazing pieces of NASA history, including:

- One volume of an operating manual for the Apollo Command Module (or something like that);
- A photo of John Glenn embracing one of the other Mercury astronauts after his flight (I think it was Scott Carpenter);
- The guest book from the Honeysuckle Creek Tracking Station, including entries by John Gorton (Australian Prime Minister at the time of Apollo 11), NASA Directors Paine and Fletcher, and astronauts Jack Swigert, Jim Irwin and Dave Scott;
- A photo of the lift-off of STS-1, autographed by the entire Astronaut Corps;
- A Lunar Hasselblad camera (a training one, not a mission one); and

- THE actual colour television camera used on the Apollo-Soyuz mission!

These are things which aren't on public display, so I know it was a real privilege.

However, if you live in Canberra, or you're visiting, take the time to go to Tidbinbilla, because even what they've got on display is fascinating.

ToSeek
2003-Apr-24, 03:10 PM
Sounds great. I hope to make it to Australia someday. If I do, I'll put the tracking station on my list.

Peter B
2003-Apr-26, 04:32 AM
I hope to make it to Australia someday. If I do, I'll put the tracking station on my list.
Well, let me know when you're coming! :-)

In fact, that goes for anyone coming to Canberra. It's so much easier to see the sites (and find the best watering holes) with a local.

Reacher
2003-Apr-26, 08:36 PM
My uncle Works for ASIO, and so lives in canberra. his house was just tree houses away from the bushfires.