PDA

View Full Version : Why is Sci-Fi airing Wrestling?

Faultline
2006-Aug-28, 04:16 AM
I saw an ad for RAW professional wrestling today on Sci-Fi.

I blinked, did a double-take, and cocked my head to the side like a dog that's just seen something it can't identify.

Does pro wrestling count as Science Fiction or did someone suggest that their viewer demographic has something in common with the pseudo sport?

Don't take me for someone that hates pro wrestling. I used to watch it everyday when I was younger. But does it belong on Sci-Fi channel and is this a sign of a desperate move to gain viewers and ratings?

Maksutov
2006-Aug-28, 05:45 AM
These days many channels run ads for shows on other channels.

However, if it's a case where this will be shown on the the SciFi channel, then it's quite appropriate, since pro wrestling is fiction, has nothing to do with science, and is poorly acted and scripted, a perfect fit with most of the other programming on the SciFi channel.

Pip
2006-Aug-28, 06:39 AM
I think it has to do with contractual obligations for the channel, since SciFi is owned by the giant GE-NBC-Universal conglomerate.

Pleiades
2006-Aug-28, 09:18 AM
Yes, unfortunately it is on Scifi channel. I was very disappointed to see it there. I usually catch the second showing of Eureka so I catch the end of the match. And no, I do not like pro-wrestling but I did enjoy roller derby as a child.

sarongsong
2006-Aug-28, 09:40 AM
...contractual obligations for the channel, since SciFi is owned by...GE-NBC-Universal conglomerate.Dang! There goes any chance of contractually obligating Ms. Couric's imminent anchor gig (http://drudgereport.com/flashckc.htm). http://www.bautforum.com/images/icons/icon10.gif

V-GER
2006-Aug-28, 11:31 AM
Aah, wrestling, the king of sports.

pro wrestling is fiction

Well "mr.scientist";
are you trying to tell me that Nikolai Volkoff wasn't really on Moscow's pay roll? That Colonel Mustafa(who just happened to look like the evil Iranian, the Iron Sheik) and General Adnan weren't really officers in the Iraqi army? Or that Irwin R. Schyster wasn't really a tax offical?

Why don't you tell the mountie that he really wasn't er, a mountie!

Boy, this a new low even for you debunkers...

Roy Batty
2006-Aug-28, 12:47 PM
What about 'Stone Cold Steve Austin', wasn't he in the Six Million Dollar man?:p

Maksutov
2006-Aug-28, 02:10 PM
Aah, wrestling, the king of sports.

Well "mr.scientist";
are you trying to tell me that Nikolai Volkoff wasn't really on Moscow's pay roll? That Colonel Mustafa(who just happened to look like the evil Iranian, the Iron Sheik) and General Adnan weren't really officers in the Iraqi army? Or that Irwin R. Schyster wasn't really a tax offical?

Why don't you tell the mountie that he really wasn't er, a mountie!

Boy, this a new low even for you debunkers...
Ha, ha, haaaaa!

That is so good!

http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/froehlich/a065.gif

MrClean
2006-Aug-28, 02:28 PM
Wrestling on SciFi, now I'm really glad they didn't pick up Scot Siglers 'Ancestor' for a cheap, ripoff movie.

ToSeek
2006-Aug-28, 02:45 PM
After you've figured that you, you can explain to my why the Biography Channel is showing Sherlock Holmes, Poirot, and Midsomer Murders.

Jim
2006-Aug-28, 02:48 PM
Does pro wrestling count as Science Fiction or did someone suggest that their viewer demographic has something in common with the pseudo sport?

Don't take me for someone that hates pro wrestling. I used to watch it everyday when I was younger. But does it belong on Sci-Fi channel and is this a sign of a desperate move to gain viewers and ratings?

Didn't we discuss this before? Oh, yeah... http://www.bautforum.com/showpost.php?p=745561&postcount=23

Gillianren
2006-Aug-28, 07:22 PM
After you've figured that you, you can explain to my why the Biography Channel is showing Sherlock Holmes, Poirot, and Midsomer Murders.

Well, at least in those cases, the TV Guide Channel might give us something moderately informative as to what's going to be on. Telling us it's going to be Biography is kind of not helpful. (Not that we get it. But if we did.)

soylentgreen
2006-Aug-28, 07:46 PM
Don't be surprised when those two foundlings from FARSCAPE, who were shoe-horned into STARGATE to "pied-piper" the fans from one show to the other, pop up on the wrestling show. It's progress, babyyyy! ;)

Like Ned Beatty says in NETWORK..."There is only one holistic system of systems; one vast, interwoven, interacting, multivaried, multinational dominion of dollars."

Anyone who watched Max Headroom(or dated the daughter of a television network exec :o ) would have seen this kind of crap coming a long time ago.

Pip
2006-Aug-28, 08:35 PM

I can sort of see a justification for that if there is some accompanying program about Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Agatha Christie, etc. But I doubt that's the case.

ToSeek
2006-Aug-28, 08:57 PM
I can sort of see a justification for that if there is some accompanying program about Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Agatha Christie, etc. But I doubt that's the case.

No, I understand the real reason is that A&E decided they'd done enough classy British programs and decided to get into reality tv in a big way. That left them with a bunch of programs they had the rights to but no place to air, so they dumped them onto the most reasonable sister channel they had.

The Backroad Astronomer
2006-Aug-28, 10:20 PM

Thats where they all went to, do the show all the all the old law and orders before the first DA left before mccoy.

yuzuha
2006-Aug-29, 07:52 AM
Because they want me to delete their channel from my cable box's channel list.

ggremlin
2006-Aug-29, 09:08 AM
Well at least, it's not another "Reality" show! You know where <<insert adverb>> people dress in strange costumes claiming to have super powers then are voted off the island. Sci-Fi would never do that, oh wait...never mind :)

Van Rijn
2006-Aug-29, 09:11 AM
Because they want me to delete their channel from my cable box's channel list.

Nah, that was John Edward. Even then I refrained, since there were other shows I liked on the channel. This is stuff I won't watch or listen to, but it doesn't quite get my blood boiling like JE - at least everybody knows this is fake.

ggremlin
2006-Aug-29, 09:47 AM
Nah, that was John Edward. Even then I refrained, since there were other shows I liked on the channel. This is stuff I won't watch or listen to, but it doesn't quite get my blood boiling like JE - at least everybody knows this is fake.

Actually, I thought he had passed out of favor (I'm trying not to), but just last night I saw a commerical for a new Incarnation,(oops) John Deadwards, Coast to Ghost on the WE channel or somthing like that.

Roy Batty
2006-Aug-29, 10:04 AM
Anyone who watched Max Headroom(or dated the daughter of a television network exec :o ) would have seen this kind of crap coming a long time ago.
That would be M m Max, Max, Head he he Headroom :)

Disinfo Agent
2006-Aug-29, 01:55 PM
They're trying to make men out of scifi fans. :lol:

Gillianren
2006-Aug-29, 10:00 PM
Some of us wouldn't appreciate that.

Van Rijn
2006-Aug-30, 09:42 AM
They're trying to make men out of scifi fans. :lol:

. . . by watching two guys in funny costumes grab at each other?

Gerrsun
2006-Aug-30, 11:49 AM
Wrestling versus TALES FROM THE CRYPT: BORDELLO OF BLOOD (tonight at 3am)

Both seem pretty unrealistic to me.

All they need to do now is claim some of those wrestlers are actually cyborgs or androids.....oooh, that gives me an idea for a movie script.

Gotta go!

Faultline
2006-Sep-01, 02:27 AM
Massive headache... Don't bring up John Edward again! AAaarrrghh!

I can't stand psychics. I was a wrestling fan once. I was NEVER a psychic fan.

The Backroad Astronomer
2006-Sep-01, 02:46 AM
I am so glad I get space instead of sci fi in canada instead of getting wrestling and john edwards we just re runs a couple of times a day and the bring sci fi shows.

The Backroad Astronomer
2006-Sep-01, 02:46 AM
oh the only reason they showing wrestling "MONEY"

Faultline
2006-Sep-01, 03:37 AM
I figured it was the money, but didn't someone in that board meeting clear their throat and say, "but is it Sci-Fi?"

The Backroad Astronomer
2006-Sep-01, 04:05 AM
The people who work at sci-fi probably did say something but were overruled by the parent company and I have major problem with the idea with whatever you watch makes more of a man.

Disinfo Agent
2006-Sep-01, 03:41 PM
They're trying to make men out of scifi fans. :D. . . by watching two guys in funny costumes grab at each other?Can you come up with a better way? :p ;)

Monique
2006-Sep-02, 04:44 AM
*shake head* boys act like boys!!

;)

sarongsong
2006-Sep-02, 07:10 AM
Why is Sci-Fi airing Wrestling?"To air is human..." ?

ggremlin
2006-Sep-02, 07:27 AM
but to forgive, is not our way.

Maha Vailo
2006-Sep-02, 02:29 PM
From what I've heard on another board, SciFi is airing wrestling (temporarily, I hope), since the USA Network (which is what the wrestling shows are normally on) is showing a big tennis tournament at the time when wrestiling would normally be on.

- Maha Vailo

Maksutov
2006-Sep-02, 02:43 PM
"To air is human..." ?"To forgive is not company policy."

Gillianren
2006-Sep-02, 06:49 PM
From what I've heard on another board, SciFi is airing wrestling (temporarily, I hope), since the USA Network (which is what the wrestling shows are normally on) is showing a big tennis tournament at the time when wrestiling would normally be on.

And Gods forbid anybody miss wrestling for a real sport.

sarongsong
2006-Sep-02, 10:36 PM
Visiting my great-grandmother as a child, it never failed to amaze me watching her watching TV wrestling on Wednesday nights; Gorgeous George and his contemporaries. Straight-as-lace in all other regards, this seemed to be her only concession to 'needless things', and really got into it.

Gillianren
2006-Sep-03, 02:23 AM
That's the first I've heard that expression. Is it yours, or did you hear it somewhere else? (Because lace, of course, isn't straight; the expression for which you're looking is "straitlaced"; "strait" used to mean "tight"--think corsets.)

Kristophe
2006-Sep-03, 05:13 AM

- Maha Vailo

Don't hold your breath. SciFi's been airing wrestling for a few months now. They'll be airing it weekly for another 15, at the very least. Suggest you avoid the channel on Tuesday evenings (10pm - 11pm eastern time, it looks like) until at least January 2008.

sarongsong
2006-Sep-03, 09:18 AM
...the expression for which you're looking is "straitlaced"...Nope; that's too rigid a term for my purposes. I first heard the expression to describe young innocents new to the psychedelic era in San Francisco; "My friend/brother/sister/whatever was straight-as-lace before arriving here."
Google, surprisingly to me, has only 3 references (http://www.google.com/search?q=%22straight+as+lace%22&hl=en&hs=7jS&lr=&client=opera&rls=en&filter=0).

Gillianren
2006-Sep-03, 08:13 PM
I'd still go with "straitlaced," since they're (to me) clearly intended to mean the same basic thing, at least based on your references. Sounds like a misunderstanding of etymology to me, as so many terms are!

The Backroad Astronomer
2006-Sep-05, 03:32 AM
One more advantage of being a canuck we do not get the sci fi channel.

Faultline
2006-Sep-05, 03:46 AM
I think I understand Sci-Fi channel a little better now that it got the extreme dose of machismo.

But I really don't think I'll be watching it much, either way. It used to be the first numbers I'd push on the remote control on the rare chance I got to pick it up and be king of the sofa. But now, when I flip on "244", I am often disappointed by what I see.

Another snake movie, or Mission to Mars, or some dumb horror flick, or something that perpetrates as science, and now...

"LET'S GET READY TO RUMBLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!"

Kristophe
2006-Sep-05, 04:02 PM
I think I understand Sci-Fi channel a little better now that it got the extreme dose of machismo.

But I really don't think I'll be watching it much, either way. It used to be the first numbers I'd push on the remote control on the rare chance I got to pick it up and be king of the sofa. But now, when I flip on "244", I am often disappointed by what I see.

Another snake movie, or Mission to Mars, or some dumb horror flick, or something that perpetrates as science, and now...

"LET'S GET READY TO RUMBLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!"

I'm the same way with the Discovery Channel here in Canada now. I'm still set in my ways of making it the first channel I flip to when the TV goes on, but now all I get for my devotion is another episode of Worlds Strangest UFO Stories, or American Blank, Monster Blank, The Truth Behind the Moon Landings, or Daily Planet talking about flipping bar coasters.

At least Mythbusters generally blows stuff up for my amusement.

Faultline
2006-Sep-07, 04:40 AM
Mythbusters is the bomb.

:lol:

Intentional Punning can get me sent to the punnitentiary where I shall be punnished.

Doodler
2006-Sep-07, 10:14 PM
. . . by watching two guys in funny costumes grab at each other?

We put up with three seasons of William Shatner's stunt double doing just that in gold braided pajamas, didn't we?

Redtail
2006-Sep-07, 10:24 PM
We put up with three seasons of William Shatner's stunt double doing just that in gold braided pajamas, didn't we?

:lol:

Challenger
2006-Sep-07, 10:34 PM
Sci-Fi channel needs to go back to running classic movies and older programming.

Gillianren
2006-Sep-07, 11:36 PM

Are you sure they could afford stunt doubles? They couldn't afford boots that fit, the first season.

Doodler
2006-Sep-08, 01:23 AM
Are you sure they could afford stunt doubles? They couldn't afford boots that fit, the first season.

Very sure.

ToSeek
2006-Sep-08, 02:23 AM
The stunt doubles are painfully obvious sometimes. It's fun watching fights such as the one between Shatner and Ricardo Montalban and watching them cut back and forth between the long shots (with the doubles) and the closeups (with the actors), or frequently the front-and-back shots, with the actor facing the camera and the double facing the actor.

SeanF
2006-Sep-08, 02:57 AM
Oh, yeah. There's kind of an inside joke to that in the DS9 episode Trials and Tribble-ations.

In the bar, right before the brawl, O'Brien misidentifies an Enterprise crewman as Kirk. The man he thinks is Kirk was played by Shatner's usual stunt double! :)

Gillianren
2006-Sep-08, 10:01 AM
Ah. I haven't watched much of the original in years, and I never got into DS9.

Doodler
2006-Sep-09, 01:59 AM
The stunt doubles are painfully obvious sometimes. It's fun watching fights such as the one between Shatner and Ricardo Montalban and watching them cut back and forth between the long shots (with the doubles) and the closeups (with the actors), or frequently the front-and-back shots, with the actor facing the camera and the double facing the actor.

Forget the episode title, but one of the more complex set ups was when Kirk was fighting himself when he was split in a transporter accident.

Really, you've got to forgive some of it in that one, it could not have been easy.

BigDon
2006-Sep-09, 02:56 AM
Arrgh!

The two constant minor pains in the backside I had to put up with when I was moving furniture was hearing about the latest wrestling news and having to listen to that utter degenerate Howard Stern while transitting to the day's job site.

Surprisingly enough Wikipedia has a very long and thorough entry on the history and background on professional wrestling.

Gillianren
2006-Sep-09, 05:19 AM
The only wrestling I'm totally okay with on Sci-Fi is the Quantum Leap episode where Sam Leaps into a wrestler.

ToSeek
2006-Sep-13, 03:10 PM
Forget the episode title, but one of the more complex set ups was when Kirk was fighting himself when he was split in a transporter accident.

Really, you've got to forgive some of it in that one, it could not have been easy.

"The Enemy Within", I believe.

Van Rijn
2006-Sep-14, 02:29 AM

That's nothing compared to the Patrick Macnee scenes in the Avengers. Macnee flatly didn't do anything that even hinted at a stunt, and some of those stunt doubles had radically different body shapes, faces, etc. It's really funny watching the scene shifts on DVD.

Van Rijn
2006-Sep-14, 02:31 AM

But thankfully just in small doses.

BigDon
2006-Sep-15, 03:15 AM
Visiting my great-grandmother as a child, it never failed to amaze me watching her watching TV wrestling on Wednesday nights; Gorgeous George and his contemporaries. Straight-as-lace in all other regards, this seemed to be her only concession to 'needless things', and really got into it.

When I was growing up you could still watch bullfights on the Mexican TV channels. When my sweet-as-can-be grandmother came down for a visit at first she was shocked, then began to root enthusastically for the bull!

Noclevername
2007-Apr-11, 12:36 AM
SciFi is airing wrestling for the same reason the Disney channel marketed Britney Spears as a role model for kids-- for the Bottom Line. It's a for-profit corporation, so expect no greatness from the networks that brought us "Deadlands: Homeward Bound" or that terrible parody of Riverworld. Berman and Braga are typical examples of what to expect from TV executives-- gratuitous explosions and gunfights, painfully badly choreographed fistfights, car chases, braless Vulcans (with big fake pointy... ears), etc., trying vainly to make a show for geeks appeal to the lowest common denominator. I'm sure that soon the Sci-Fi channel will change to "The SFC!" and start the celebrity makeovers.

Noclevername
2007-Apr-11, 01:36 AM
Wrestling does make a Man out of you... in the same sense that being a cabin boy in the British navy did. A bunch of half-naked sweaty musclemen oiling up and grabbing each other? And the Greeks did it naked. Tells you all you need to know.

Since moving to rural Indiana, I've met far too many people who think pro wrestling is real and the Moon landing was fake. It's George B***'s America, people. Going the way of Rome, for pretty much the same reasons.

Jim
2007-Apr-11, 03:05 AM
Hey, Noclevername! Welcome to the BAUT.

If you haven't already, be sure to read the Rules for Posting (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?t=32864). Note especially #12 on Politics and Religion. Your last couple of sentences are skating close to the edge.

Glad to have you join us. Enjoy!

jami cat
2007-Apr-11, 05:05 AM
For some reason I thought these channels had a name that stated their intended purpose?

Like: BET...I thought that I would be able to keep track the horse races there.
But, all they have is showtime at the Apollo, shouldn't the Apollo be on the channel called ShowTime then?

MTV, um...where's the Music?

I'm so confused...

Dave Mitsky
2007-Apr-11, 06:02 AM
SciFi is airing wrestling for the same reason the Disney channel marketed Britney Spears as a role model for kids-- for the Bottom Line. It's a for-profit corporation, so expect no greatness from the networks that brought us "Deadlands: Homeward Bound" or that terrible parody of Riverworld. Berman and Braga are typical examples of what to expect from TV executives-- gratuitous explosions and gunfights, painfully badly choreographed fistfights, car chases, braless Vulcans (with big fake pointy... ears), etc., trying vainly to make a show for geeks appeal to the lowest common denominator. I'm sure that soon the Sci-Fi channel will change to "The SFC!" and start the celebrity makeovers.

Braless Vulcans, female ones that is, seem eminently logical to me. ;)

Dave Mitsky

Disinfo Agent
2007-Apr-11, 01:17 PM
For some reason I thought these channels had a name that stated their intended purpose?Wrestling, fantasy, science fiction, porn (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?t=57020)... in the end, it's all the same genre. :p

Serenitude
2007-Apr-11, 05:53 PM
Wrestling does make a Man out of you... in the same sense that being a cabin boy in the British navy did. A bunch of half-naked sweaty musclemen oiling up and grabbing each other? And the Greeks did it naked. Tells you all you need to know.

Since moving to rural Indiana, I've met far too many people who think pro wrestling is real and the Moon landing was fake. It's George Bush's America, people. Going the way of Rome, for pretty much the same reasons.

I like professional wrestling. Please tell me your thoughts about me? :)

Matherly
2007-Apr-11, 07:07 PM

You're into soap operas that feature aerobatic violence?

Man, I havn't watched pro-wrestling since college. A bunch of us (mixed equally between the genders) used to get together to watch the WWF. Boy, I just dated myelf, didn't I?

ToSeek
2007-Apr-11, 08:08 PM
My father used to watch pro wrestling and laugh at it. He went to a live match once and nearly got beaten up.

Noclevername
2007-May-11, 07:40 PM

Well, at least you aren't in denial about it like the jocks I went to high school with. Can you say, "Overcompensating"?

Serenitude
2007-May-12, 12:49 AM
Well, at least you aren't in denial about it like the jocks I went to high school with. Can you say, "Overcompensating"?

Well, to be honest, I DO drive a Mustang... :whistle:

Noclevername
2007-May-12, 04:25 PM
Ok, ok, calm down, cabin boy, this is a family site. Go watch your wrestling.

Tucson_Tim
2007-May-12, 05:25 PM
Well, to be honest, I DO drive a Mustang... :whistle:

Hopefully, a '69 or '70 !!!!! ;)

Serenitude
2007-May-12, 08:22 PM
Hopefully, a '69 or '70 !!!!! ;)

It's a '94... :o

Noclevername
2007-May-14, 01:26 AM
Braless Vulcans, female ones that is, seem eminently logical to me. ;)

I have a slew of jokes on the subject that, unfortunately, I can't use here. Sigh. But with Vulcan's high gravity, you'd think... Nah, I'm not going there.:silenced:

Must... think... clean... thoughts...

Oh, wait, I only have to type clean posts. My thoughts are safe. Whew! Dodged a bullet!