PDA

View Full Version : Star Trek makes it to the Ivory Tower

Argos
2006-Aug-29, 01:03 PM
Link (http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/now-for-star-treks-enterprising-thesis/2006/08/27/1156617211732.html)

It's the PhD thesis that boldly goes where no thesis has gone before. Djoymi Baker watched 700 episodes - 624 hours without ads - of Star Trek and its spin-offs, dating from 1966 to 2005, in the name of research.

R.A.F.
2006-Aug-29, 01:26 PM
Shatner's monologues were inspired by the visionary speeches of JFK, advocating greater exploration. Thirty years on, the roles were reversed, with astronauts from the National Aeronautics and Space Administration guest-starring on Star Trek spin-offs to promote their underfunded existence.

Huh?? I thought the reason they appeared on the various Star Trek spin-offs was because they were fans of the show.

Gillianren
2006-Aug-29, 10:01 PM
That's why Hawking did it.

Tobin Dax
2006-Aug-30, 11:54 PM
Huh?? I thought the reason they appeared on the various Star Trek spin-offs was because they were fans of the show.
I'm too lazy to look it up right now, but I think you're right. I'm pretty sure that my TNG Companion says Mae Jamison was a fan of the show. She's also the only astronaut I remember being on Trek.:think:

Gemini
2006-Aug-31, 03:28 AM
I'm too lazy to look it up right now, but I think you're right. I'm pretty sure that my TNG Companion says Mae Jamison was a fan of the show. She's also the only astronaut I remember being on Trek.:think:

I think she was also on How William Shatner Changed the World.

There was also a couple of ISS astronauts on an ep. of Enterprise.

http://www.space.com/entertainment/050513_fincke_trek.html

Trynn Allen
2006-Aug-31, 07:14 PM
Not to put to fine a point on it, but the movie PCU put it in a better context than I ever could...

Tom: What's he doin?
Droz: He's finishing his senior thesis. Pigman is trying to prove the Caine-Hackman theory. No matter what time it is, 24 hours a day, you can find a Michael Caine or Gene Hackman movie playing on TV.
Tom: That's his thesis?
Droz: Yes! That's the beauty of college these days, Tommy! You can major in Game Boy if you know how to bull****.

Absolutely thrilling to see what has become of our post grad education