PDA

View Full Version : what exact earth time star birth takes to form

suntrack2
2006-Sep-03, 06:28 AM
I mean to say here that how much time count of earth makes the wizard of "a star birth" in the sky.

in other words, 50 years of earth, 100 years of earth time=a new star birth in the sky.

I am talking about the exact period for a new star birth.

Kaptain K
2006-Sep-03, 06:49 AM
From the initial impulse (supernova shockwave, collision of intersteller clouds, etc) to ignition of protostar - hundreds of thousands to millions of years.

astromark
2006-Sep-03, 08:59 AM
and even longer. If you can define the moment that this new star becomes a stable sun like source of energy. From a period in time thousands of millions of years after that matter began to gravitate to a stellar disk. Very few things in astronomy actually happen quickly. The transformation into a star is not quick.

afterburner
2006-Sep-03, 03:52 PM
I dont think thats what the OP meant. I think what suntrack2 meant to ask is this: Stars are born everywhere across the visible Universe. If we take ALL the stars that are being born in the visible Universe, about how often would a new star appear? To make it even more clear...There are billions of galaxies containing billions of stars - the visible Universe. Many stars are born in those billions of galaxies every 50 years....What I think the OP meant is...how much time (on average) between star births in the whole visible Universe. So if 365 stars are born in the visible Universe every year, then a star is born roughly 1 day apart.

If thats not what the OP meant, I apologize. (But could someone still answer the question?)