PDA

View Full Version : The 40th anniversary of Star Trek

ToSeek
2006-Sep-07, 05:31 PM
Star Trek’s Slow Start (http://www.americanheritage.com/entertainment/articles/web/20060907-star-trek-william-shatner-television-sci-fi.shtml)

“Captain's log, stardate 1513.1. Our position, orbiting planet M-113. Onboard the Enterprise, Mr. Spock, temporarily in command. On the planet, the ruins of an ancient and long dead civilization. Ship’s surgeon McCoy and myself are now beaming down to the planet’s surface.” With these words, a new television series made its debut 40 earth years ago this week. It was a flop.

ToSeek
2006-Sep-07, 05:33 PM
After 40 Years, Star Trek 'Won't Die' (http://space.com/entertainment/060907_star_trek.html)

It seems like the TV show that never dies.

Forty years ago a science fiction show debuted on television with a paltry budget and a bold mission to go where no one had gone before.

That show, of course, was Star Trek, which sent Captain James T. Kirk (played by the now iconic William Shatner) and his Starship Enterprise crew on a voyage to a final frontier. Created by Gene Roddenberry and billed as a ‘Wagon Train to the Stars,’ Star Trek debuted on Sept. 8, 1966 on a five-year mission that is as entrenched in the American lexicon as apple pie and baseball (both of which have popped up in episodes at one time or another, in fact).

“It’s so American because in America we integrate people into one,” says NASA astronaut and Trek fan Mike Fincke of the show, adding that Roddenberry’s concept of people rising above their differences to explore space can be seen in the International Space Station (ISS). “Gene Roddenberry had a nice vision that I think we, on the space station, are encapsulating. Did he create that environment?...There’s all kinds of fun arguments that people can make.”

NEOWatcher
2006-Sep-07, 06:12 PM
Not exactly unknown facts. Although, I guess we need words to fill an article to mark the event.

Doodler
2006-Sep-07, 06:41 PM
Not exactly unknown facts. Although, I guess we need words to fill an article to mark the event.

If ever there were evidence of franchise fatigue.

Roy Batty
2006-Sep-07, 07:09 PM
What? you mean that Star Trek thing actually went somewhere?! :D

Doodler
2006-Sep-07, 08:16 PM
What? you mean that Star Trek thing actually went somewhere?! :D

What goes up, must come down. Slow start, then it took off with the original series movie franchise and The Next Generation, shallowed a bit, but still rose through Deep Space 9, then peaked, and started to dive with DS9's last season and Voyager's start, entered a freefall around Nemesis (Insurrection slowed the fall a bit, but came to late to save the beast). Enterprise was simply the bartender ringing the bell, calling out "Blue sky, black death".

Gillianren
2006-Sep-07, 08:43 PM
"McCoy and I." Surely, someone so logical as Mr. Spock would know that!

SeanF
2006-Sep-07, 08:53 PM
"McCoy and I." Surely, someone so logical as Mr. Spock would know that!
That was Kirk, not Spock. :)

GDwarf
2006-Sep-07, 09:35 PM
I'm rather looking forward to the Star Trek: Legacy game that's being released to commemorate the anniversary, it looks like it has quite a bit of promise.

Doodler
2006-Sep-07, 09:49 PM
I'm rather looking forward to the Star Trek: Legacy game that's being released to commemorate the anniversary, it looks like it has quite a bit of promise.

As an MMORPG player, I'm keeping one eye on the Star Trek Online game due to be in beta sometime next year. They've released some preliminary renderings, and its almost enough to bring tears to your eyes.

For the time being, I get my Trek fix playing Birth of the Federation. There's something vicarious about re-enacting the Battle of Wolf 359 with something like 50 Sovreign-class ships lead by a phalanx of Defiant-class.

Gillianren
2006-Sep-07, 11:38 PM
That was Kirk, not Spock. :)

Oh. Well, that explains that. (From the context of the quote, it sure sounds like Spock's the one talking.)

Maksutov
2006-Sep-08, 07:42 AM
I can remember sitting in front of my 19" black and white set on September 8, 1966, eagerly anticipating the premier of what was promised to be, finally, a good TV science fiction/space exploration show.

Imagine my disappointment when the salt monster (http://www.memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/The_Man_Trap) appeared in its native form and put its suckers on Kirk, who then, after too long a dramatic pause, screamed. "Geez, what melodrama!" I thought.

But I kept watching and was soon hooked.

http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/9145/beammeupmx3.gif (http://imageshack.us)

http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/1676/startrekgr4.gif (http://imageshack.us)

Ronald Brak
2006-Sep-08, 08:48 AM
...and put its suckers on Kirk, who then, after too long a dramatic pause, screamed.

I think every episode must have been about five minutes under time and they just threw in a whole heap of pauses into Kirk's dialogue to make up for it.

Gillianren
2006-Sep-08, 09:57 AM
He claims he doesn't talk like that. He lies. (Or is deluded.)

suntrack2
2006-Sep-08, 11:02 AM
I am recalling my memory, the star treak tv serial I was already enjoyed at that time long back. during that time I always looks waiting for the next episodes.
It was a quite popular tv series among the youth and other elders in my home.

Jason Thompson
2006-Sep-08, 11:32 AM
An entertaining coincidence for you. On the BBC, Star Trek was aired originally in production order, i.e. it started with Where No Man Has Gone Before, the second pilot (after the unaired The Cage). It was on Saturday nights, and started its run on the BBC after Patrick Troughton's final season of Doctor Who. It just so happens that Star Trek started its run on BBC TV the same week that Apollo 11 lifted off for the Moon....

Getting those old Radio Times issues from eBay was quite informative.

Trantor
2006-Sep-08, 08:50 PM
As a series, only Doctor Who can compare with the long term success of Star Trek. I remember when I was in high school, coming home every day and catching an episode right after school. The movies with the original cast were all excellent as well. I was a little apprehensive about "The next Generation" when it first came out, but it proved to be a great series in every way. Next Generation had the highest ratings of any of the Trek Series, usually averaging 15-20 million viewers per episode in the US, and posted excellent ratings outside the US as well. In terms of ratings and monetary revenues, it was the most successful TV Science Fiction Production ever.

"Deep Space 9" was also excellent, especially the last three or four years. The ratings were lower than those for Next generation, but the still very good overall.

"Voyager", was a good show in my opinion, but not up to the standards set by previous Trek shows. The ratings dropped still further, but still good enough to keep it going for a full seven years.

"Enterprise" was the weakest of the Treks. Started off pretty good, but the writing dropped off badly after the first season. Only lasted four seasons before it was cancelled.

I do hope that there is a another future Trek Series, but hope they give it a rest for a few more years.

Doodler
2006-Sep-08, 09:53 PM
I do hope that there is a another future Trek Series, but hope they give it a rest for a few more years.

Or at least wait until they've got a really interesting story to tell. A nice arc like 2-4, or a good super-episode like Insurrection or The Undiscovered Country.

ToSeek
2006-Sep-14, 03:38 PM
Seth Shostak chimes in:

The Legacy of Star Trek (http://www.space.com/searchforlife/seti_legacy_trek_060914.html)

This weekend I met the aliens, and they spoke pretty good English. They were Klingons.

Yes, bearded, bulky Klingons, sawtooth-eared Vulcans, grunting Romulans, and clean-cut graduates of Starfleet Academy had all amicably come together in Seattle’s Science Fiction Museum for a three-day toast to Star Trek. This was a gathering of fans, drawing a few thousand Trekkies from around the country. But it had a novel twist: the usual crowd of Star Trek devotees and show celebrities was leavened by a fistful of scientists. Real scientists; not just the play-acting kind.

publiusr
2006-Oct-04, 12:47 AM
I was born Sept. 22, 1966.

So I am as old as trek.

And feel like it. At least my recent birthday wasn't so bad.

Doodler
2006-Oct-04, 12:51 PM
Rumor control at Star Trek's Wiki is saying the prequel movie concept has been shelved by Paramount.

What we might be in for, Great Bird protect us, is a "re-imagining" in the vein of what the new Battlestar Galactica has done.

That's either gonna be real good, or real bad...

MG1962A
2006-Oct-04, 08:23 PM
Next Generation had the highest ratings of any of the Trek Series, usually averaging 15-20 million viewers per episode in the US, and posted excellent ratings outside the US as well. In terms of ratings and monetary revenues, it was the most successful TV Science Fiction Production ever.

Its funny, except for the orginal series, none of the Star Trek series went primetime in major markets in Australia. And with my thinking cap on, very few series have. Doctor Who had to wait 40 plus years to get out of its 6pm Friday night timeslot

vonmazur
2006-Oct-05, 06:14 PM
I was in Vietnam, and did not catch the premiere....after much whining and threats to shoot rockets into the AFVN TV studio, they started showing ST, in place of Green Acres.....The people who ran the entertainment there did not have the slightest clue as to what we really wanted to see....or hear on the ADF radio AM broadcast.....but they did move the Freq of the FM transmission to the high end so we could hear it on the VHF Nav radio...

Dale