PDA

View Full Version : The Commercialization of "9/11" Rant.....

obscured by clouds
2006-Sep-08, 09:26 PM
This has been an issue for me for quite sometime but I am getting to the point that I am getting very vocal about it. Now what I mean is my view on how our society is viewing what is acceptable when talking about September 11, 2001. It started with "9/11" not the event but with coining the phrase. I did notice when it became common place to refer to it as "9/11" as pose to September 11, 2001. Now that might seam trivial but I think it is a slippery slope. I know it is a catchy term, for our "ipod" generation.

Let's jump ahead to the movies that have and will be made. Again this is a problem, cause it is done under the guise of an "important part of our history that has to be told". A convent lie. Of course it is about the bottom line, money and for some trying to rewrite history. Then there is the footage it self. It seems that they (who ever puts these things together, the media at large) really likes to throw the footage from that day in whatever their talking about. They just have to show the Towers falling down every chance they get. I just saw a preview for a show on the history channel on the 'similarities' between Pompeii and the World Trade Center. Ahhh man I don't even know where to start on that one..........

Now lets talk about the "conspiracy" that some extremely ignorant people believe in. While there will always be those who are infected with the "flat earth syndrome", it's that others give them a platform for continuing to reveal their stupidly. I don't know why anyone would waist there time. Why would you go up to that guy carrying the "end of the world" sign on the street corner and explain his error. What could be gained in interacting with a person like that. Unless it's to catalog mental dieses....

What really bothers me is the average person does not even recognize how they are being manipulated. Unless you give them an extreme example, like if a small business in New York, a souvenir shop started to sell little World Trade Center Building with little planes sticking out of them, or how about a theme park!!!!!!!! Then they would say that is just silly, well so is our view on what is acceptable.

I feel like I am on a sinking ship with a bunch of lemmings...rant over :wall:

Doodler
2006-Sep-08, 09:28 PM
Give it five years, there'll be greeting cards. Its not a completely negative thing. Marginalizing an event that traumatic helps move on beyond it.

It beats the reality the last five years has promoted, in which case I could beat any New Yorker in a fight by flashing a picture of the Twin Towers, then beating them senseless while they're curled up in a fetal position sobbing.

obscured by clouds
2006-Sep-08, 09:35 PM
Marginalizing an event that traumatic helps move on beyond it..

Yeah I agree with that, but being desentized is not entirely a good thing either. There needs to be a balance and I don't see that happening.

It beats the reality the last five years has promoted, in which case I could beat any New Yorker in a fight by flashing a picture of the Twin Towers, then beating them senseless while they're curled up in a fetal position sobbing.

:clap: :D

Doodler
2006-Sep-08, 09:41 PM
Agree on the balance, but lets be real, there is no solution that satisfies everyone. The minute we can get that through our heads, there's a hope of finding a middle ground. Otherwise, you've got developers still seething and snarling over loosing several million square feet of top dollar leasable commercial property, and you've got survivors who want their loved ones enshrined on the site like martyrs or saints.

Neither is 100% there, and the developers seem to have made a reasonable overture with the offerings on the new site to the victims, but too many victims blindly can't see beyond their own self pity, and keep the process tied up because its not reverent enough to their fallen relatives.

At least this is how I read it.

MrClean
2006-Sep-08, 10:53 PM
In 1912, the Titanic sank. There were two movies with it as the backdrop in that year alone. "Saved from the Titanic" and "In Nacht und Eis" both in 1912. Your slippery slope seems to have slipped on by you almost a hundred years ago. So why don't we just skip the self gratifying disdain and admit that humans are very tacky creatures, overly presumptuous and full of self serving ballyhoo.
Fact is, I feel a little over contemptuous just pointing it out to you. Where have you been, man?

And in my opinion, every stinking hour of the day we should spend 15 minutes watching airliners plunge into the World Trade Center towers, the Pentagon, Pictures of the Cole, Pictures from the first attack on the World Trade Center and every other stinking plot to kill and maim people along with the pictures of the low life terrorists who have been carrying out these offenses until it sinks into EVERYONES head just WHO is the enemy and WHO is the victim and WHO is completely in the right to stand up and say HELL NO!

I also don't want to see a TV miniseries with made up lies in it. There's plenty of well-documented guilt to not have to make up stories.

Doodler
2006-Sep-08, 11:50 PM
I watched the second hit live on television, it was enough. I also watched the clean up after the Alfred Murrah hit, and the first WTC bombing, and my brother in law was part of the damage control team that aided the USS Cole.

I am well aware of who my enemies are, and I've got better means of dealing with it than spending half a decade sniffling over old home movies.

ZaphodBeeblebrox
2006-Sep-09, 12:13 AM
Give it five years, there'll be greeting cards. Its not a completely negative thing. Marginalizing an event that traumatic helps move on beyond it.

I Have NEVER Read Anythiing So Horrible, Mean, Under-Handed, Seemingly Accurate ...

And So Mind-Achingly Ironic, it Juust Has to Be Oddly Humourous ...

Doodler, How Do you Do it?

obscured by clouds
2006-Sep-09, 12:46 AM
Yeah I was not making a historic perspective, I am sure we could go back to the ancient Greeks, nor was I making a unique argument or something insightful, just a rant.

I have heard about this book Amusing Ourselves to Death: Public Discourse in the Age of Show Business by Neil Postman, check this out, wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amusing_Ourselves_to_Death). Thanks to Roger Waters.

I think this is my problem, so I just ordered it. Maybe it will help for a better insight.

MrClean
2006-Sep-09, 12:51 AM
Wonder how long before they had Fart jokes about Pompei?

ZaphodBeeblebrox
2006-Sep-09, 12:56 AM
Probably on The Boat wiith Pliny The Elder ...

Hey Pliny, Did you Cut One?

No I, Oh Off wiith Thee to Hades!

:naughty:

Doodler
2006-Sep-09, 01:17 AM

Natural disasters aren't usually good fodder for comedy. Lets face it, no good jokes have come out of St. Helens, Penatubo (unless you count the egg on Algore's face when the plume hit the stratosphere without breaking a sweat, something he once claimed didn't happen), nor any of Kileauea's or Etna's convulsions.

Neither they, nor the hurricanes of last year or years past, nor the tsunami.

Terrorism's usually a no no, though airline accidents are fair game. Gilbert Godfried lost the crapshoot there with the "ticket to the Empire State Building" gag a few months after 9/11 (which ended up introducing the rest of the world to the "Aristocrats"), where Howard Stern's fans were laughing hysterically at his call to Florida Airlines asking about tickets to the 14th Street Bridge in DC the day (or so) after that one. Heck, there was a United crash in Souix City where someone who survived the crash in the cockpit said his first thought once the plane stopped was "damn, they DO grow the corn big out here" before he realized the cockpit window was no longer 15 or 20 feet in the air because the plane was twisted wreckage.

Its less a matter of finding gallows humor in a bad situation than it is the inevitable need to just get the heck on with life and file the incident with the rest of the bad days in history this world's seen go by.

MrClean
2006-Sep-09, 01:37 AM
Natural disasters aren't usually good fodder for comedy.

Sure they are. I saw Spike Lee's Miscarage of facts on HBO, I believe this is where I got this quote from, and in one sceen a lady is talking to her grandmother telling her that her house has floated across the street and ended up in her neighbors yard. Her Grandmother rattles back something like 'Well Mr. Johnson can't tell me I've never given him anything. He's got my whole house.' That's purty funny, I don't care who ya are.

We're tough critters and, like I said earlier, pretty tacky.

Doodler
2006-Sep-09, 01:41 AM
Sure they are. I saw Spike Lee's Miscarage of facts on HBO, I believe this is where I got this quote from, and in one sceen a lady is talking to her grandmother telling her that her house has floated across the street and ended up in her neighbors yard. Her Grandmother rattles back something like 'Well Mr. Johnson can't tell me I've never given him anything. He's got my whole house.' That's purty funny, I don't care who ya are.

We're tough critters and, like I said earlier, pretty tacky.

Hadn't seen that yet. Spike's quickly spiralling into Louis Farrakhan territory, and is almost unwatchable.

sarongsong
2006-Sep-09, 05:58 AM
...my view on how our society is viewing what is acceptable when talking about September 11, 2001. It started with "9/11" not the event but with coining the phrase. I did notice when it became common place to refer to it as "9/11" as pose to September 11, 2001. Now that might seam trivial but I think it is a slippery slope...Not slippery enough to keep it out of this thread title, tho.

Gillianren
2006-Sep-09, 07:20 PM
In quotation marks. Those mean things, you know, and it isn't emphasis (contrary, apparently, to popular belief).

NASA Fan
2006-Sep-09, 09:21 PM
I saw a part of a plug for a new book about September 11th. called "Debunking 9/11 Myths: Why Conspiracy Theories Can't Stand Up to the Facts" by David Dunbar (Editor). The minute I heard about it, I thought of this site. I though I would mention it in here, and see if :Obscured by clouds" thinks that that is also a commercialization (since Popluar Mechanics the publisher is making money), or if it is acceptable since the book destroys some of the myths.

Roy Batty
2006-Sep-12, 01:24 AM
This week's eSkeptic (http://www.skeptic.com/eskeptic/index.html) seems particularly relevant btw.