PDA

View Full Version : A Question About the Nucleosynthesis of Silver

BigDon
2006-Sep-09, 02:43 AM
I've read on about three different occasions that the nucleosynthesis of silver is highly specialized and unusual. But they don't say HOW its unusual. I've googled about but I couldn't find any relavent data.

I did find out that even though its *locally* abundant, silver is several orders of magnitude rarer than gold (and most other elements) on a galactic scale. Can someone explain or point out a relavent paper?

Thank you for your time.

Gillianren
2006-Sep-09, 05:15 AM
I know it's rarer in nugget form and must be mined, usually, so the Egyptians valued silver more than gold. Other than that, I'm afraid I'm no help.

jlhredshift
2006-Sep-09, 12:02 PM
I've read on about three different occasions that the nucleosynthesis of silver is highly specialized and unusual. But they don't say HOW its unusual. I've googled about but I couldn't find any relavent data.

I did find out that even though its *locally* abundant, silver is several orders of magnitude rarer than gold (and most other elements) on a galactic scale. Can someone explain or point out a relavent paper?

Thank you for your time.

It has to do with the rapid proton (rp) capture process of hydrogen burning on the surface of an accreting neutron star. The rp process ends in a closed SnSbTe cycle. These reactions are on either side of silver (Ag) isotopes of 107 and 109 which are less preferential.

However, I am sure there is more to the reactions and why they occur but it is beyond my pay grade.