PDA

View Full Version : The best TV sci-fi series in the English language

Lord Jubjub
2006-Sep-09, 11:37 PM
I would like to propose putting the matter to a vote on this board.

It would consist of a series of polls--something akin to the elimination shows, though the specific rules would be rather different. I think three-four rounds would do.

If the moderaters have no problems with this, let me put down the rules:

1. The series must have lasted at least 6 shows intended for TV (exceptions can be handled individually)
2. The primary language must be English
3. The series must propose an alteration of reality or a projection into the future; sci-fi/fantasy/woo-woo are all acceptable.
4. You may nominate as many series as you want. The number of nominations a series receives will have no bearing on further rounds.

One bit of information: how long should each poll remain open? How often does everyone here check out this board? I was thinking a week for each round.

This thread consists of Round 0: the nominations. Sometime next Saturday, I'll start the eliminations rounds.

My noms are the five live-action Star Trek series:

The Original Series
The Next Generation
Deep Space Nine
Voyager
Discovery

Gillianren
2006-Sep-10, 02:18 AM
Blasphemy though it may be, I liked Next Gen best.

Redtail
2006-Sep-10, 02:56 AM
Blasphemy though it may be, I liked Next Gen best.

I sir wil show you blasphemy. Battle Star Galactica... The Current one.

The Backroad Astronomer
2006-Sep-10, 02:57 AM
my would be deep space nine then TNG but good old doctor who bets them all.

Van Rijn
2006-Sep-10, 03:10 AM
The problem is that there are different series that I like, or are the best, for different things. Star Trek is up there, of course, but so is Star Cops (realistic science fiction mystery), Babylon 5 (epic science fiction TV novel), Planettes (near future realistic life in space anime), Futurama (best TV science fiction comedy) and so forth. And I could pick plenty more (SG-1, Battlestar Galactica, Blake's Seven, etc.)

Ronald Brak
2006-Sep-10, 03:12 AM
Doctor Who.

MrClean
2006-Sep-10, 04:23 AM
Firefly---------------------Superb
Now and Again-------------Now that guy Truely loves his wife
Dead Like Me---------------Who knew death could be so fun
Doctor Who----------------Classic good times, don't worry, the Dr. will make it all better
The HitchHikers Guide(TV)-------It's how I found out about the series and is therefore my fav.

obscured by clouds
2006-Sep-10, 04:39 AM
Babylon 5

Gillianren
2006-Sep-10, 05:39 AM
Well, and of course there is Firefly, yes. The boyfriend likes the Stargate franchise.

SMEaton
2006-Sep-10, 10:54 AM
Max Headroom.
Hmm... does V count? Maybe not, as I'm referring to the original miniseries rather than the '84-'85 series. I'll let the jury decide.
I also liked seaQuest DSV for awhile, as well as a few seasons of Farscape.
Who could forget MST3K?

Roy Batty
2006-Sep-10, 11:13 AM
Sapphire & Steel
The Invaders
UFO
Space 1999
Ultraviolet
Hex
The Dead Zone
The original Outer Limits
The original Twilight Zone
The Tomorrow People

That's enough for now, I'm sure I'll think of more :)

MG1962A
2006-Sep-10, 02:37 PM
I think for consistency I cant go past Dr Who and The Original Twilight zone.

Three shows I have huge soft spots for are Max Headroom and the old Edward Woodward thing.... 1990 and the orginal Outer Limits

Launch window
2006-Sep-10, 02:39 PM
Babylon 5
Firefly
original Star Trek
Flash Gordon tv show
Lexx
original Outer Limits
Red Dwarf
The 4400
Stargate series
Earth-2

Paul Beardsley
2006-Sep-10, 02:53 PM
Top of the range:

Survivors
The Prisoner
UFO
Goodnight, Sweetheart
Dune (six episodes covering Dune, Dune Messiah, Children of Dune)

Bubbling under:

Babylon 5
Ultraviolet
Day of the Triffids

Occasionally brilliant but rather patchy:

Doctor Who
Tripods
Quatermas

Has its moments:

Star Trek, in all its incarnations

ciderman
2006-Sep-10, 05:15 PM
In no particular order;
Space 1999,
Dr Who,
Blake's 7,
Star Trek(original, though I like them all) &
Babylon 5.
Trust Roy to remember Sapphire & Steel plus The Tomorow People :D, I do recall them as being good though. I also very much enjoyed The Tripods & was most upset that they never finished it!
How about Thunderbirds & The Time Tunnel?
& Launch window, Lexx!!! :D :lol:

R.A.F.
2006-Sep-10, 06:02 PM
Star Trek...the 1st season of The Outer Limits...

...and how about an obscure one...the british series The Champions.

Doodler
2006-Sep-10, 06:55 PM
Babylon 5
Star Trek TNG
Star Trek DS9
Space: Above and Beyond
V The Series (a little dated, but pretty solid for its time)

Gillianren
2006-Sep-10, 09:04 PM
Dune (six episodes covering Dune, Dune Messiah, Children of Dune)

Wait, you mean the Sci-Fi version? That's what you're considering top of the line? Okay . . . .

Doodler
2006-Sep-11, 12:32 AM
Wait, you mean the Sci-Fi version? That's what you're considering top of the line? Okay . . . .

They were actually rather impressive. SciFi hasn't had a great track record in forever, but it does not immediately imply they are incapable of putting up a gem from time to time.

Van Rijn
2006-Sep-11, 01:09 AM
So, are we just naming any and all science fiction and fantasy series?

Ok, how about:

Voyage To the Bottom of the Sea
Time Tunnel
Land of the Giants
Lost In Space
Buck Rogers
Galactica 1980
Starlost
My Secret Identity
Greatest American Hero
Sliders
Tom Corbett, Space Cadet
Space Ghost
Thunderbirds

to name a few.

soylentgreen
2006-Sep-11, 01:10 AM
They were actually rather impressive. SciFi hasn't had a great track record in forever, but it does not immediately imply they are incapable of putting up a gem from time to time.

I'll second that Doodler. They made up for what budget limitations they had with juicy focus on the court intrigue...**in my best Cesar Romero 'Joker'** Delicious!

Plus the attention to the fine details of the myriad cultures at odds with one another, was very rewarding.

And just so everyone knows...I am a huge fan of BOTH Dune filmiverses equally. They each bring things to their interpretations(Hello weirding guns!) that the other doesn't, so why not appreciate both. You wouldn't want to go to the Met to see the same "Ring" every time, would you? ;)

PhantomWolf
2006-Sep-11, 04:10 AM
I note that since most have already been nominated, I'll toss in Farscape simply because Firefly was already nominated.

Roy Batty
2006-Sep-11, 03:58 PM
Well I'm glad to see most of the ones I've thought of since my last post that I've enjoyed, have now been mentioned :)

Another one: Logan's Run.

Btw Ciderman, remembering Sapphire & Steel wasn't too difficult, I have all the series on video :D

Gillianren
2006-Sep-11, 04:48 PM

Maybe, but to a fan of the books, those weren't one. In fact, when the special effects make you long for David Lynch (at least he didn't use blue screen!), it's bad. Also, I watched the premiere of the first one in a large group of people, all of whom had either read the book or seen the David Lynch version. We were all sorely disappointed. There's one sequence that we yet refer to as the "Irulan attacked by killer butterflies" scene; we also felt that they'd spent too much of the budget on silly hats and people with impenetrable accents. (And, finally, they pronounced "Leto" and "Harkonnen" wrong. David Lynch pronounced it the way Frank Herbert did; you can tell, on account of he actually had Frank Herbert around for part of filming, or anyway pre-production.)

redshifter
2006-Sep-11, 05:03 PM
I note that since most have already been nominated, I'll toss in Farscape simply because Firefly was already nominated.

About time someone nominated Farscape! :clap:

Moose
2006-Sep-11, 05:22 PM
Heh. Blasphemy this!

Firefly.
Babylon 5.

And that's pretty much it for my nominations for televised sci-fi.

soylentgreen
2006-Sep-11, 07:51 PM
...silly hats and people with impenetrable accents.

quick thought, so as not to derail the thread....and no, I didn't edit Gillanren's post to make a possible name for a Talking Heads album. ;)

The hats!...Oh Jeezus, the hats! They did go quite overboard with the hats...to the point of robbing the Bene Gesserit of almost all their menace. Second worst one, the Sardaukar...right out of some Kid N' Play movie!

The accents, though, I must say, seemed to be a weird combination of heavy euro-casting and accidental verisimilitude. After all the beings represented in the story would be from many different and far flung cultures. Count yourself lucky they spoke any english at all! I myself, truly liked Stilgar from the first Sci-Fi series, he had the right combination of foreign-ness and approachability for the role.

As for Giannini as the Emperor. He definately was an odd choice. I've always suspected that they just wanted a noted old actor with charisma, yet someone very different from Jose Ferrer. In fictions with colonialism as a significant thread, emperors are usually depicted in a sorta British mold...befuddled ill-informed oafs with no real power at best-cold martinets at worst. Some kind of cultural stamp I think. John Harrison's DUNE seemed to want to buck that tradition.

Who knows, over the coming years maybe the depiction of emperors in these kinds of colonial drama epics will evolve into less Anglo and more Yanko!

Any DUNE fan has to eventually face the cold stark reality that the work is, for all intents and purposes, truly unfilmable(1 m or 2? They both look right)
...though sadly, and let's be honest folks, every day on the news stations we get to see a live-action running serial of DUNE anyway, I just haven't figured out which House we are. But NO, I don't think Sean Penn is the Kwisatz Haderach. ;)

Doodler
2006-Sep-11, 09:04 PM
Maybe, but to a fan of the books, those weren't one. In fact, when the special effects make you long for David Lynch (at least he didn't use blue screen!), it's bad. Also, I watched the premiere of the first one in a large group of people, all of whom had either read the book or seen the David Lynch version. We were all sorely disappointed. There's one sequence that we yet refer to as the "Irulan attacked by killer butterflies" scene; we also felt that they'd spent too much of the budget on silly hats and people with impenetrable accents. (And, finally, they pronounced "Leto" and "Harkonnen" wrong. David Lynch pronounced it the way Frank Herbert did; you can tell, on account of he actually had Frank Herbert around for part of filming, or anyway pre-production.)

What was wrong with the special effects? The only revision that really caught my eye as a betrayal were the use of aircraft during the final battle against the Emporer at Arakeen. The sandworms were a little odd, certainly nothing like those which made their appearance on the dust jackets of the novels or the original movie (leaving me to wonder if there weren't some licensing issues over the original appearance from the f/x company), but they kept to the spirit of the worms design. The new highliners looked great, the revamped guild navigators were pretty good. Now, it goes without saying the "angel" navigator was a little over the top, but the navigator from the second series was dead on. A navigator with that appearance is on the dustjacket for Hunters of Dune.

The cast was primarily European, so the accents are a negligible issue. What sold me on this new series was the casting. The new Harkonnen cast was awesome, MUCH MUCH better than David Lynch's version by a long stride. As much a deviant bugger as Vladimir was in both versions, McNeice's portrayal gave us a villain you could still respect for the fact that his was a mind you didn't go up against without a stacked deck, two assassins and veins of chere. He played the demon and the clown with a lot of grace. The Harkonnen nephews were more than just these silent automatons, the new series choice for Feyd was excellent and he did exceptionally well with it.

The rest were also well picked for their roles across both series, with the odd swapping of players for Jessica and Duncan in the second series integrating pretty seemlessly. (Though a part of me is still thinking: ARRRGH!!! ANGEL IS DUNCAN?! :))

There were changes, I know these novels pretty well myself, and while some were a bit irksome (the airpower during Arakeen), others were appreciated (the revamp of Duncan's death and Liet's capture were much more interesting in the new version)

As for the change in Stilgar's character, I think the change represented from Dune to Children of Dune is fair. He had lost something when he became Paul's right hand, and it was something he didn't find in himself again until he was forced to kill Duncan. It was reflective of how the Freman had changed as they went from desert nomads to the Empire's most lethal fighting force.

I really do hope someday they go back and do God Emporer and the rest. Maybe after Sandworms of Dune is published.

Lord Jubjub
2006-Sep-11, 10:48 PM
Odd, I had Farscape on the list, but nobody has mentioned it. Must have just assumed it would get named. I'll also mention Earth: Final Conflict if only for a good first season.

hmmm. . .quick poll here. . .should Xena and Hercules make the list?

Doodler
2006-Sep-11, 11:04 PM
Odd, I had Farscape on the list, but nobody has mentioned it. Must have just assumed it would get named. I'll also mention Earth: Final Conflict if only for a good first season.

Gah...I'd put Andromeda on the list LONG before either of those.

You think Farscape's getting short shrift, my poor Marines, man...

Roy Batty
2006-Sep-11, 11:14 PM
Yes it was (http://www.bautforum.com/showpost.php?p=823217&postcount=22) :)

Btw, you did say the no. of nominations wasn't important so have been making an effort not to repeat anyone elses. Farscape & many of the others would of been on my list otherwise! :)

Some more:
Knight Rider (sorreeeey, but I liked it as a kid!)
Salvage One (I know it's looking more realistic everyday that a junkyard owner can build a space rocket, but they had an android in it too!) :)

PhantomWolf
2006-Sep-12, 01:11 AM
should Xena and Hercules make the list?

No, they are pure fantasy not Sci-Fi.

Did anyone say Red Dwarf? (edited: yes, Launch Window did. :))

Gillianren
2006-Sep-12, 01:29 AM
What was wrong with the special effects? The only revision that really caught my eye as a betrayal were the use of aircraft during the final battle against the Emporer at Arakeen. The sandworms were a little odd, certainly nothing like those which made their appearance on the dust jackets of the novels or the original movie (leaving me to wonder if there weren't some licensing issues over the original appearance from the f/x company), but they kept to the spirit of the worms design. The new highliners looked great, the revamped guild navigators were pretty good. Now, it goes without saying the "angel" navigator was a little over the top, but the navigator from the second series was dead on. A navigator with that appearance is on the dustjacket for Hunters of Dune.

I'll admit I only saw them once, when they came out, but I do (vividly!) remember people making rude, deserved comments. Especially when people were "running" in the "desert."

I guess what soured me on it most was that they took my favorite scene from Dune, one David Lynch had not bothered filming, and did it badly, adding an unnecessary Irulan with the killer butterflies. Really. What was she doing on Dune at all before the ending? Is it because she doesn't, in so many words, have a personality in the first book but is important in the next one?

Doodler
2006-Sep-12, 03:14 AM
I'll admit I only saw them once, when they came out, but I do (vividly!) remember people making rude, deserved comments. Especially when people were "running" in the "desert."

I guess what soured me on it most was that they took my favorite scene from Dune, one David Lynch had not bothered filming, and did it badly, adding an unnecessary Irulan with the killer butterflies. Really. What was she doing on Dune at all before the ending? Is it because she doesn't, in so many words, have a personality in the first book but is important in the next one?

I thought the story arc involving her was an interesting addition. The killer butterflies outfit was a bit over the top, but then, given that the Empire was a classic feudal arrangement, ostentation isn't too unbecoming. If you wanted silly, Shaddam and the mini-wings were worth more of a giggle. Feyd's outfit at the end of the first series was goofier looking than that, and lets not even start on Paul's bonzai-Jesus look, or that ridiculous hyperwhite thing they stuck Chani in.

Van Rijn
2006-Sep-12, 03:30 AM
should Xena and Hercules make the list?

No, they are pure fantasy not Sci-Fi.

Did anyone say Red Dwarf? (edited: yes, Launch Window did. :))

But fantasy is acceptable. I'd say they aren't very good, but that doesn't seem to be a criteria either (hence my Ugh! (http://www.bautforum.com/showpost.php?p=823146&postcount=20) list).

Actually, I can think of one I would seriously suggest - "Buffy the Vampire Slayer." For some reason, that reminds me of "My Partner the Ghost" (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0063946/) which I haven't seen in decades. I wonder if I'd still like it? I just found that it's available on DVD through Netflix. I guess I'll find out.

Ronald Brak
2006-Sep-12, 05:52 AM
Actually, I can think of one I would seriously suggest - "Buffy the Vampire Slayer."

Nah, excellent show but lousy science fiction. The couple of times they tried to use "science" had me whimpering, "No, please! Go back to the magic and demonology! The word science does not mean what you think it does!"

Van Rijn
2006-Sep-12, 06:09 AM
Nah, excellent show but lousy science fiction. The couple of times they tried to use "science" had me whimpering, "No, please! Go back to the magic and demonology! The word science does not mean what you think it does!"

Of course it is a fantasy series. Again, fantasy is acceptable per the OP:

1. The series must have lasted at least 6 shows intended for TV (exceptions can be handled individually)
2. The primary language must be English
3. The series must propose an alteration of reality or a projection into the future; sci-fi/fantasy/woo-woo are all acceptable.
4. You may nominate as many series as you want. The number of nominations a series receives will have no bearing on further rounds.

(emphasis added)

That does kill anime, though, despite good english dubs (with matching lip flapping). Ah, well.

Parrothead
2006-Sep-12, 02:44 PM
Among my favourites UFO, ST:TNG and Charlie Jade.

Argos
2006-Sep-12, 02:50 PM
So, are we just naming any and all science fiction and fantasy series?

Ok, how about:

Voyage To the Bottom of the Sea
Time Tunnel
Land of the Giants
Lost In Space
(...) Thunderbirds

to name a few.

Those plus Star Trek and Twilight Zone.

The list is complete. :)

Ronald Brak
2006-Sep-12, 02:55 PM
Of course it is a fantasy series. Again, fantasy is acceptable per the OP:

D'oh!

Donnie B.
2006-Sep-12, 03:29 PM
The only series I'd nominate have been mentioned, but just so you know what they are...

Firefly
ST-TOS
Outer Limits

Honorable mention to ST-TNG. That is all. :razz:

Paul Beardsley
2006-Sep-12, 05:43 PM
As someone else pointed out a while ago, this is becoming a list of every SF series ever made.

Might I suggest that people put forward arguments as to WHY series X is head and shoulders above the crowd whereas series Y is just tinsel.

Moose
2006-Sep-12, 05:47 PM
As someone else pointed out a while ago, this is becoming a list of every SF series ever made.

*COU(Buck Rogers)GH!!!*

:D

Roy Batty
2006-Sep-12, 05:49 PM
Well I'm only nominating series I personally enjoyed & want to see go foward to further voting rounds! It is just a nomination round right? Of course, I've enjoyed a lot of series over nearly 40 years! :)

Thanks Moose, I'd forgotten that one ... Idi bidi bidi bidi ;)

Doodler
2006-Sep-12, 06:08 PM
Babylon 5
Star Trek TNG
Star Trek DS9
Space: Above and Beyond
V The Series (a little dated, but pretty solid for its time)

Babylon 5 - compelling story, reasonably solid acting, excellent character development.

Star Trek: TNG - For me it picked up around season 4-5. The cast had settled enough into their characters that they started looking comfortable. Worf coming to terms with Klingon culture and his tendency to gain promotion through attrition, Riker's hedging off his own career hoping for a shot at the Enterprise, the development of secondary characters, particularly Q, Ro Laren, and Reginald Barclay. It neatly snatched the baton passed to it in the shadow of its predecessor's successful run on the big screen and developed itself into a unique and pretty vibrant entity all its own.

Star Trek: DS9 - I thought of this as Star Trek's darker side. The introduction of a commander with some real scars on his soul butting heads with a planet hellbent on finding its own way in the galaxy, the major powers be damned. It took this little snapshot of 24th century life, and despite the extraordinary nature of the phenomenon it guarded, showed all the ugly nuts and bolts details that go into transitioning a fiercely independent warp capable culture into the fold of the Federation, undergoing its growing pains after the explorers had warped off to some other quadrant for the next flavor of the week encounter. Plus it put some flesh on the bones of the major galactic powers and gave us a chance to see them at work in a framework that could finally break out of the purely episodic mode of TNG.

Space: Above and Beyond - The ultimate success of this one was that it was good TV science fiction that WASN'T Star Trek. It wasn't some fictional future world government, but the US of A kicking butt and taking names when someone out there decided to kick first. A pretty good storyline, transposing some of the more cynical aspects of how Americans viewed their government and its corporate sponsors onto a future generation of Americans not so unlike ourselves as to be aliens in the mirror.

V: the series - Ok, its BADLY dated, REAL badly dated, its embarassing in 80's terms like mullets are to the 70s. BUT, it gave us an alien species, that while a little hokey, was one of the first multidimensional alien cultures on television. A complete culture that wasn't a transposed single element of human culture with a rubber suit. For that alone, it was a nice change of pace.

Trantor
2006-Sep-12, 07:19 PM
My top five choices would be:

Star Trek(all of the series, except Enterprise)
Dr. Who
The original Twilight Zone
The Outer Limits
Stargate SG1

While Stargate is not in the same league as the other series on my list, it was a decent production for it's first 8 years, and it deserves some recognition for lasting a full 10 years.

peteshimmon
2006-Sep-12, 09:14 PM
Some things from quaint British TV over the
years. Long ago on Saturday evenings in the
summer of 1962 was Out of this World hosted
by Boris Karloff. About 12 episodes of good
SF stories acted live in those days. They were
good and now thanks to the blessed Google I
can look up the details I had long forgotten.
And just before them was the Pathfinder series
with Gerald Flood. I will not mention
Thunderbirds, that was over the top but
Fireball XL5 was charming with a catchy theme
tune. The Outer Limits in the mid sixties had
that one with the bloke falling out of a
television screen. I think it was a potato sack
imaged in the negative. It was good, hope
the nightmares don't return! Also imported was
One Step Beyond whose theme tune set the mood
just right. Made me turn cold straightaway.
The Prisoner had high production values which
were clear when seen in colour 14 years later.
Blakes Seven was fun. The Martian Chronicles
was eerie. Hitchhikers was marvellous and
incidentally that last volume had the only
possible message the Almighty would send to
conscious beings. Lastly I will mention an
episode of something called 77 Sunset Strip.
The characters get stranded on a remote Pacific
island. Whats that bullseye pattern laid down
on the beach? They have a working transistor
radio. There is an H-bomb test due! Beat that
for a storyline.

ciderman
2006-Sep-12, 09:58 PM
Sounds exciting!
I'd have that radio apart & be looking some kinda capacitor discharge though the ariel, using the old dit dit dit dash dash dash dit dit dit. Plus some seriously obvious mucking about with that bullseye pattern:).

Lord Jubjub
2006-Sep-13, 01:01 AM
I'm up to 68 series.:dance:

I suppose I could do a test post, but do the polls on this forum allow for multiple choice?

PhantomWolf
2006-Sep-13, 03:26 AM
you only have about 5 options for polls, easier to kull out a number first.

Alasdhair
2006-Sep-13, 07:40 AM
The hats!...Oh Jeezus, the hats! They did go quite overboard with the hats...to the point of robbing the Bene Gesserit of almost all their menace. Second worst one, the Sardaukar...right out of some Kid N' Play movie!

I didn't mind the Sardaukar hats: somehow the line from Firefly seemed apposite: "A man walks out in a hat like that; people know he ain't afraid of anything".

MG1962A
2006-Sep-13, 11:44 AM
Um Captain Scarlet - classic and new edition

Gillianren
2006-Sep-13, 07:48 PM
Ye Gods! I didn't even think about Quantum Leap--and I'm a big enough fan that I actually own all the novels, even the last one which is truly horrible!

Lord Jubjub
2006-Sep-13, 11:54 PM
The 4400 , 77 Sunset Strip , Angel , Andromeda, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Babylon 5 , Battlestar Galactica 1 , Battlestar Galactica 2, Blake's Seven , Captain Scarlet 1 , Captain Scarlet 2, The Champions , Day of the Triffids , Dead Like Me, The Dead Zone , Doctor Who , Dune, Earth-2 , Earth: Final Conflict , Farscape, Fireball XL5 , Firefly , Flash Gordon, Futurama , Galactica 1980 , Goodnight Sweetheart, Greatest American Hero, Hercules , Hex, Hitchhiker's Guide , The Invaders , Knight Rider, Land of the Giants , Launch window , Lexx, Logan’s Run , Lost In Space , The Lost World , Martian Chronicles, Max Headroom , My Secret Identity , Now and Again, One Step Beyond , Outer Limits 1 , Outer Limits 2, Out of This World , Pathfinder , Planettes, The Prisoner , Quantum Leap , Quatermas, Red Dwarf , Salvage One , Sapphire & Steel, Sliders , Space 1999 , Space: Above and Beyond, Space Ghost , Star Cops , Star Gate: SG-1, Star Gate: Atlantis , Starlost , ST:TOS, ST:TNG , ST: DS9 , ST:Voyager, ST:Enterprise , Survivors , Thunderbirds, The Time Tunnel , The Tomorrow People , Tom Corbett Space Cadet, Tripods , Twilight Zone 1 , Twilight Zone 2, UFO , Ultraviolet , V, Voyage To the Bottom of the Sea , Xena, X-Files

81 series (I put in a couple that have not been mentioned) and still willing to add more--or subtract if there are names on this list which don't belong. I'll place on further limit: "Third Rock from the Sun" hasn't been mentioned and I really don't consider it sci-fi (along with "Mork and Mindy"). Though I am willing to reconsider if there is protest. . .I have room for four more, than I would need an 18th poll.

For the actual contest, I'll probably do 4-5 at a time (which will make 17 polls in the first round) one day at a time. I won't put related series in the same poll, e.g. none of the Star Treks will compete with each other in the first round.

If I don't see any additional nominations by Friday afternoon, I will start then. Otherwise, I'll start Saturday morning. BTW, the 1 and 2 means old and new.

Lord Jubjub
2006-Sep-14, 12:14 AM
I'll post this in a separate reply.

Is 77 Sunset Strip sci-fi?
Isn't Day of the Triffids a movie--never made into a series?
Does Dune and Martian Chronicles have enough parts?
Dune is 265 minutes. Fifty minutes an episode (equivalent) gives about 5-6 eps.
MC is 360 minutes, which is the equivalent of seven 1-hour episodes.
I see that Invaders was remade 1995 as was The Tomorrow People in 1992. Anyone care to see these remakes in the poll?

Donnie B.
2006-Sep-14, 12:28 AM
Is 77 Sunset Strip sci-fi?No, it was a standard private-detective drama.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0051247/

ciderman
2006-Sep-14, 12:35 AM
Isn't Day of the Triffids a movie--never made into a series?

The Tv series!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Day_of_the_Triffids_%28TV_series%29

Van Rijn
2006-Sep-14, 02:02 AM
The Tv series!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Day_of_the_Triffids_%28TV_series%29

Darn, it doesn't appear to be on DVD. Never heard of the series until now. The movie was horrible, but the original novel was pretty decent. It sounds like this might be okay too.

Van Rijn
2006-Sep-14, 02:03 AM
I see that Invaders was remade 1995 as was The Tomorrow People in 1992. Anyone care to see these remakes in the poll?

Please, no. Of course, I doubt they would get far in a poll.

PhantomWolf
2006-Sep-14, 03:29 AM
Well if you need other ones, How about Taken (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0289830/), War of the Worlds (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0094578/), Invasion (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0460651/), Project Blue Book (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077065/), Roswell (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0201391/), Dinotopia (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0310443/), Seven Days (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0167720/)

There is another I can't think of the title of, only survived one season. Was about Aliens invading and a group trying to stop then. Can't recall what it was though.

PhantomWolf
2006-Sep-14, 03:36 AM
Oh, and since you have Buffy and Angel, why not Charmed

PhantomWolf
2006-Sep-14, 03:38 AM
Perhaps The Pretender (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0115320/). Not quite sure I'd classify it as Sci-Fi, but it has a Sci-Fi listing in the IMDB

PhantomWolf
2006-Sep-14, 03:52 AM
I can't believe no one's mentioned Alien Nation (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096531/), Dark Angel (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0204993/), Man From Atlantis (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0075533/), Highlander (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0103442/), The Six Million Dollar Man (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071054/), Robocop: The Series (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108909/), Buck Rodgers (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078579/), Wonder Woman (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0074074/) or Mantis (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108843/) either?

Van Rijn
2006-Sep-14, 05:37 AM
I can't believe no one's mentioned Alien Nation (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096531/), Dark Angel (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0204993/), Man From Atlantis (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0075533/), Highlander (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0103442/), The Six Million Dollar Man (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071054/), Robocop: The Series (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108909/), Buck Rodgers (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078579/), Wonder Woman (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0074074/) or Mantis (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108843/) either?

I did mention Buck Rogers, though not the rest of those. I'm actually a little surprised I forgot Six Million Dollar Man. The pilot and some of the first season were pretty good, though it got bad fast. I won't mention the series that came from it (SMDM had already gone into the gutter by that time).

SMEaton
2006-Sep-14, 07:33 AM
Yes, it seems that this thread devolved (or de-evolved?) from "best" to "I saw this in the x0's, forgot, remembered it, posted, and forgot" with alacrity.
Alien Nation (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096531/), the series, was not very good. I watched the series as it came out, but I have never been able to watch the re-runs. Any real examination of alien culture was suppressed in favor of cop drama.
Dark Angel (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0204993/)... Jessica Alba was the only reason I saw "Fantastic 4".
Man From Atlantis (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0075533/) was a show I never saw.
The Six Million Dollar Man (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071054/)... yes, that should've been mentioned.
Robocop: The Series (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108909/) - That was a series?
Buck Rodgers (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078579/) - this was mentioned a few times.
Wonder Woman (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0074074/) - oh Linda, my Linda.
Mantis (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108843/) - holy carp. I completely forgot about that show. Good one!

Gillianren
2006-Sep-14, 10:56 AM
Oh, and since you have Buffy and Angel, why not Charmed

Oh, how I hate that show . . . .

I have the first few seasons of The Pretender on DVD, though. I don't care what IMDB calls it; it's not sci-fi. It's a thriller with one improbable element. (And one main character who never gets a last name pursuing/pursued by another one who never gets a first name.)

SeanF
2006-Sep-14, 01:48 PM
Hey, wait, do either The Adventures of Brisco County, Jr., or The Wild Wild West have enough sci-fi/fantasy elements to qualify for this poll?

I see IMDB includes sci-fi in the genre list for both of them.

If so, I nominate 'em both! :)

peteshimmon
2006-Sep-14, 02:51 PM
Mention of Outer Limits reminds me of a stunt I have just read about by a magician called Chan Canasta on BBC television in the fifties. He told viewers he could cause television sets to fail by a thought process. He made the facial expressions and millions saw the picture collapse with the fading white dot on their sets. The picture came back half a minute later, he had just had the technicians send out a fake video! Millions were livid:)

Doodler
2006-Sep-14, 05:05 PM
Mantis was alright, but at the same time, it was essentially a PC twist on Bruce Wayne (paralyzed and a minority) with the overly hackneyed exoskeleton suit that seemed to be the deus ex machina of choice for a while.

SMEaton
2006-Sep-14, 06:43 PM
Mantis was alright, but at the same time, it was essentially a PC twist on Bruce Wayne (paralyzed and a minority) with the overly hackneyed exoskeleton suit that seemed to be the deus ex machina of choice for a while.And don't forget Iron Man; Tony Stark used a wheelchair when not in the suit.[/nerd]

Doodler
2006-Sep-14, 07:07 PM
And don't forget Iron Man; Tony Stark used a wheelchair when not in the suit.[/nerd]

Granted, plus they later added some depth with his battling the bottle. Plus a certain mutant telepath who was wheelchair bound.

That being said, Mantis as a TV series had a substantially wider audience at the time than any comic series, and the combination came off feeling like pandering. I do think Carl Lumbly did very well with the material he was given, and as a fan of the show myself, found it completely watchable. I just get a little twinge in the back of my neck when I detect blatant market share phishing.

Jim
2006-Sep-14, 07:08 PM
John Doe. Great starting premise... man with no memory of his own past but complete memories of everything else (population of Mongolia, life cycle of the gypsy moth, how to play the piano...). And he saw in black-and-white, except for certain people who appeared in color.

mike alexander
2006-Sep-14, 07:38 PM
I didn't see Science Fiction Theater in there, nor World of Giants.

I still remember as a kid getting to the TV early to catch the opening theme of SFT, along with it's host, Truman Bradley.

Lord Jubjub
2006-Sep-14, 11:14 PM
Wild Wild West and Brisco County are more achronistic spoofs than sci-fi. John Doe and the Pretender are straight dramas with a single fantastic character element rather than fantasies. The same reason I have trouble with Mork and Mindy and Third Rock.

If there is a $6M man, then there should be a $6M woman--the Bionic Woman. But I always thought they had made a series out of it. Was it only two episodes?

PhantomWolf
2006-Sep-15, 01:42 AM
Yeah, there was, it's even in a store near me, but it sucked, badly, in fact worse than badly. Early Edition is sort of another one that is dramaish but has one element of fantasy in it, this time tomorrow's newspaper.

Lord Jubjub
2006-Sep-15, 09:49 PM
I have 98 series on my list. I don't think that any of the top ten (or 20 or 30) has been missed so I'll start setting up the polls. I'll accept any last minute mentions through the weekend.

First poll will show up tonight sometime. The first round will not be a straight elimination round. I'll post the first round rules with each poll.

Fortis
2006-Sep-16, 01:08 PM
Babylon 5
Odyssey 5
(Hmmmm. A theme is emerging here ;) )

greenfeather
2006-Sep-17, 12:51 PM
I used to love SLIDERs, until it got dumbed down into 'monsters & boobs".

Of course I loved FUTURAMA too!

Lord Jubjub
2006-Sep-27, 02:38 AM
OK, I'll bump up the nomination thread for a couple of reasons. I added Superman and Smallville to the list along with X-files. I also found a few shows that were mentioned that I missed for some reason. That being said, there will be a 21st poll to pick up the missed nominations. Saturday evening's poll will be the last one.

peteshimmon
2006-Sep-27, 03:27 PM
Well I might add something from the mists of time, Space Patrol. OK it was puppets but I remember reading it went down big over there! And there was Target Luna that preceded the Pathfinders series. A young boy stands in for an ill astronaut and gets launched on a Moon swingby mission. Oh the hero worship! Thank heavens one gets over being 9 years old:)