PDA

View Full Version : Contacting Us

Fraser
2006-Sep-12, 02:24 AM
This is place holder text that will be elaborated upon.

Read the full blog entry (http://www.astronomycast.com/?p=4)

StarStryder
2006-Sep-28, 01:27 AM
The correct link for contacting us is HERE (http://www.astronomycast.com/contact/) .

We now return to our normal programming . . .

RapidEye
2006-Sep-29, 03:20 PM
Heh - Pamela is titled "Junior Member".
LOL

If a PhD is the "Junior Member" it makes me wonder what Fraiser's creds are to trump that! =-)

2006-Sep-29, 04:53 PM
If a PhD is the "Junior Member" it makes me wonder what Fraiser's creds are to trump that! =-)
The vBulletin board software, grantor of titles, doesn't respect college degrees or other accomplishments, but relies merely on post counts -- and, some bit settings, the sort that makes Fraser an all-powerful Administrator.

Hmm. That may mean Fraser is not even a two-bit Admin, but a one-bit.

Anyway, when PamelaGay, or even you, posts whatever-the-magic-number-is articles, she will be admitted into the league of Members, and after that, if she perseveres, then the not-so-exclusive club of Senior Members. We anticipate the day.

George
2006-Sep-29, 09:53 PM
Oh. I saw "Contacting Us" at the top of the thread list and assumed another cast was available regarding alien transmissions. :)

Fraser
2006-Sep-29, 10:09 PM
Pamela claims to have been a long time lurker on BAUT. If starting up a new podcast is what it took to get her participating on the forum, that's just what I was willing to do.

George
2006-Sep-30, 04:35 AM
Nice going Fraser.

I enjoyed hearing you two and look forward to others.

Welcome, Pam, to BAUT on an interactive, non-lurking level. :)

Clubber
2006-Oct-09, 01:50 AM
I saw the article in the paper today about podcasts and tried it out. However, I don't own Quick time and really don't like this program. How do I down load the podcast to my hard drive from your web site? When I tried it earlier it would not let me down load it, it just brought up an interactive Quick time and started playing it. I want to down load these so I can listen to them on my schedule versus at the time of the download. Thanks for the help.

CLubber

Galaxy
2006-Oct-10, 04:38 AM
How do I down load the podcast to my hard drive from your web site?

Assuming you're on a PC (I, sadly, don't own/use a Mac):

Go to the astronomy cast website, and right-click on the link that says "Download episode".

Select "Save Link As" and choose where to save it to on your harddrive and what the file should be called (assuming you don't like the default name).

When it's finished downloading, you'll be able to play the episode whenever you like through your default music player :)

bethkatz17582
2006-Oct-11, 08:09 PM
On a Mac, go to the website with your web browser (I use OmniWeb but I checked in Safari and Firefox) and hold down the Control key while you click on the mp3 link or the download link. You'll get choices to open it in various apps or download the linked file (Firefox has Save link as). Download it, and when it's done, you can listen to it in whatever mp3 player. (Essentially, control-click gives you the right-click of PCs.)

I subscribe through iTunes so that when Fraser and Pamela publish a new show, that show is downloaded the next time I launch iTunes.

StarStryder
2006-Oct-12, 02:54 AM
We must all start at the lowest rung, and I find the silliness of "Jr Member" warm and fuzzy :)

Thanks all of you for the warm welcome.

As for listening to the shows, I have to admit that Quicktime in a web browser is certainly the quickest route. I also use iTunes, but before that I tried both the iPodder and iPodderX podcatching clients. There are lots of options out there. Some free, some not. The advantage of using a podcatching client is that podcasts will automagically appear on your computer with them, and without them you have to manually check if new shows are posted. I'm all about finding ways to automate small things, and this is one small thing that I never worry about.

Kelfazin
2006-Oct-12, 06:02 AM
Google actually has a free RSS reader that will play the podcasts as well. I just open my google personalized home page and click "play".

I would also like to welcome you, Dr. Gay, to the posting side of BAUT. Of all the various podcasts I catch Astronomy Cast is by far my favorite and the one I really look forward to listening to. You have a lovely voice and it's a real pleasure to listen to you talk about my favorite subject :)

So thank you, and thank you Fraser as well. I hope your show lasts years.

TimA
2007-Jan-21, 12:10 AM
The show is great. Found it a few months ago and have learned alot. Thanks.

Don't know where to put this, so I'll try here.

My question relates to the podcast format itself. I have an aggregator and it pulls the podcasts just fine. I use WMP11 and for only 2 episodes was the TAG info including so that WMP could determine the "Album" was "Astronomy Cast" and the "Title" was "Episode 18: Black Holes Big and Small". All the rest show up as "unknown" and "AstroCast-070115". This make is hard to find. Am I doing something wrong? (No jabs at WMP usage.... )

The recommendation is to make sure the tages are correct on a regular basis.

Thanks.