PDA

View Full Version : Human Influences Will Generate More Hurricanes

Fraser
2006-Sep-12, 02:41 PM
Climate scientists have uncovered more evidence that human activities are raising ocean temperatures, spawning more powerful hurricanes. The researchers used 22 different climate models to reproduce ocean temperatures over the last 100 years. They found that human-caused greenhouse gases, ozone and aerosol particles are raising ocean temperatures, which provide energy to the strongest hurricanes.

Read the full blog entry (http://www.universetoday.com/2006/09/12/human-influences-will-generate-more-hurricanes/)

ronjust1
2006-Sep-12, 09:04 PM
There’s no question that human influence has contributed to Global Warming; however, the debatable questions is...“How significant?” and ... “is there any evidence other than computer modeling that proves this contribution?”

Maha Vailo
2006-Sep-12, 10:06 PM
And more importantly, if the human contribution to global warming is minimal, how should humanity adapt to the warming trend and the prepare for the problems it might cause? If it's inevitable, then shouldn't we put more emphasis on preparation/adaptation than prevention?

- Maha Vailo

Ray Bingham
2006-Sep-12, 10:54 PM
Haven't we learned yet that computer models only project what those who input the information want them to?

The only advantage to this story is that now some people have "evidence" to blame certain other people for what they claim is happening.

John Mendenhall
2006-Sep-13, 07:19 PM
Interesting. The first three comments take a dim view of global warming. I know I'm skeptical. Much of what I read and hear about global warming is borderline hysterical. However . . .

The CO2 data from Mauna Loa in Hawaii, as far as I can tell, is very well shielded from any local influence, and it climbs steadily from year to year. This alone will produce some global warming. How much, who knows? I don't think we should take any drastic action yet.

dlooke
2006-Sep-14, 01:44 AM
Ooooh! 22 climate models. Is that better than one accurate model? And how many variables did these models each contain?
If they can now predict via their models what is happening across vast oceans, can they please tell me what the weather will be on my birthday next year. Oh, their predictions are not that accurate or reliable! Then why are they claiming any degree of certainty from these pathetic "models"?
Look out that butterfly flapped its wings and our predictions are now wrong. Draat.