PDA

View Full Version : Connection Found Between the Earth and Space Weather

Fraser
2006-Sep-12, 02:49 PM
Researchers have found a connection between weather here on Earth, and the weather in space. The connection comes from the ionosphere, a high-altitude region of the Earth's atmosphere formed by solar X-rays and ultraviolet light. NASA satellites found that regions of the ionosphere become more dense above areas of thunderstorm activity in the lower atmosphere. This is a surprising discovery because the ionosphere and the lower atmosphere are separated by hundreds of kilometres.

Read the full blog entry (http://www.universetoday.com/2006/09/12/connection-found-between-the-earth-and-space-weather/)

Ray Bingham
2006-Sep-12, 10:58 PM
If weather IS affected by weather in space which is without a doubt affected by the sun, do we not then have proof that earth weather is affected by solar cycles and other activities? We are simply in a cold protion of the cycle.

Maha Vailo
2006-Sep-12, 11:39 PM
It's been known for decades that space weather (most notably sunspot cycles) affects Earth weather to some degree. Therefore, it's hardly surprising that it would work to some degree in the other direction.

- Maha "How's the weather up there?" Vailo

soly
2006-Sep-13, 02:01 AM
So which way round is it, the weather causes the ionosphere to react or the ionosphere causes weather? :think:

Is there a connection between this and sprites and elves above thunderstorms :think:

Is there a connection between this an Noctilucent clouds here on earth and recently discovered on Mars?

If the Sun causes changes in our ionosphere can it cause changes on other planets in the solar system?

Where do the connections end/start? :think: :eh:

kashi
2006-Sep-13, 07:26 AM
I worry that climate change sceptics and oil companies will use this to "add fuel to the fire" so to speak.

Jacques van Delft
2006-Sep-14, 11:49 AM
Hi,
I am researching this connection for about 20 years now. The connection between the solar cycle and Earth weather patterns is clearly visible in my study. I hope some of the professional researchers can help me with some needed data regarding Aurora phisics. Mail me at jacques@bloemwater.co.za
Thanks

greghard
2006-Sep-16, 12:44 PM
Radio hobbyists have suspected this for years. Thunderstorms seem to enhance E-Layer skip reception, affecting mostly Shortwave and VHF Frequencies up to between 30-200 MHz. Points approximately 600-800 miles either side of a large thunderstorm system will receive FM & Low-band VHF-TV signals from the opposite locations...e.g., such reception is often possible between Southern California and Texas, when storms are pounding away in New Mexico. (However, E-skip CAN occur in the complete absence of storm activity.) E-skip activity is usually greater in the Eastern U.S....where storms are also more frequent.

madman
2006-Sep-23, 10:21 PM
a possible correlation with the zero point/line of the magnetic field?

see attached gif