PDA

View Full Version : If Planet X doesn't destroy us....

Glom
2003-Apr-29, 11:03 PM
... there's a total Lunar eclipse on May 15-16. Mark it off in your calenders. Read all about it at Space.com (http://www.space.com/spacewatch/lunar_eclipse_news_030425.html).

Please say we have good weather here. :( It has been ages since the skies were clear for a good celestial show. The Leonids were ruined. :cry:

gethen
2003-Apr-30, 02:06 PM
Ditto for the weather here. Fingers crossed for the lunar eclipse.

chris l.
2003-Apr-30, 02:47 PM
What will we see in Ohio? Totality?

Glom
2003-Apr-30, 02:52 PM
There is no variation with Lunar eclipses. A total Lunar eclipse occurs when Luna enters the shadow of Earth completely. It doesn't matter from where you observe it, it's still in the shadow. Provided of course that you can see Luna at all at the time. It was on Space.com so presumably it will be good for the US. They also said it would be good for Europe and Africa. Although here it's going to require actually taking some initiative.

BCstargazerr
2003-Apr-30, 11:47 PM
the eclipse will be visible for most of north america. West coast observers will see the moon rise already eclipsed.
there's a good article posted at the sky & telescope site.
http://skyandtelescope.com/observing/objects/eclipses/article_923_1.asp
the color of the moon during the eclipse depends on the amount of light refracted around Earth by the atmospere. the moon will look darkish red if there is a lot of aerosols( dust, volcanic gases, etc) in the atmosphere at the moment of the eclipse

other celestial events of note coming this summer is the transits of mercury and venus across the disc of the sun, no doubts someone will try to cash in and predict the end of the world around those rare events

paul

Charlie in Dayton
2003-May-01, 12:04 AM
What will we see in Ohio? Totality?

According to the 2003 Observer's Handbook:
DAYTON OH DATA
(Eclipse begins when Moon contacts penumbra)
Moon contacts:
Penumbra (faint earth shadow) 01:05:25 UTC 16 May (21:05:25 EDT 15 May) ESE, alt 5 deg
Umbra (dark earth shadow) 02:02:51 UTC 16 May (22:02:51 EDT 15 May) ESE, alt 13 deg

Fully in Umbra 03:13:49 UTC 16 May (23:13:49 EDT 15 May) SSE, alt 23 deg
Greatest eclipse 03:40:10 UTC 16 May (23:40:10 EDT 15 May) SSE, alt 24 deg
Far edge of Umbra 04:06:31 UTC 16 May (00:06:31 EDT 16 May) SSE, alt 26 deg

Moon leaves:
Umbra 05:17:29 UTC 16 May (01:17:29 EDT 16 May) S, alt 24 deg
Penumbra (eclipse ends) 06:14:56 UTC 16 May (02:14:56 EDT 16 May) S, alt 24 deg

And yes, us residents of the Great State Of Ohio will be able to see the eclipse beginning to end...

edited to add link:
Go here for times and a visibility map! (http://sunearth.gsfc.nasa.gov/eclipse/extra/TLE2003May15.html)

beskeptical
2003-May-01, 07:12 AM
the eclipse will be visible for most of north america. West coast observers will see the moon rise already eclipsed.
there's a good article posted at the sky & telescope site.
http://skyandtelescope.com/observing/objects/eclipses/article_923_1.asp
the color of the moon during the eclipse depends on the amount of light refracted around Earth by the atmospere. the moon will look darkish red if there is a lot of aerosols( dust, volcanic gases, etc) in the atmosphere at the moment of the eclipse

other celestial events of note coming this summer is the transits of mercury and venus across the disc of the sun, no doubts someone will try to cash in and predict the end of the world around those rare events

paul

Welcome to the board BC. I picked pears in Penticton once. :D

Pinemarten
2003-May-01, 07:39 AM
Are we doomed in Edmonton? Our sunset will be 9:01pm MT tonight. By the time the eclipse hits in May we will still be cooking husky steaks on the barbecue until midnight. Will it be a wash-out?

WHarris
2003-May-01, 11:40 AM
You can get the timing of the eclipse for your location here: http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/docs/LunarEclipse.html

Pinemarten
2003-May-01, 11:48 AM
It's not the timing, it's the fact that it will still be daylight here. Will it show as a light orange moon instead of the normal white one against the blue sky?

kilopi
2003-May-01, 12:03 PM
Transis of Venus is next year, not this year. And nine years from now. The last time was over a hundred years ago.

It's not the timing, it's the fact that it will still be daylight here. Will it show as a light orange moon instead of the normal white one against the blue sky?
It's kinda timing--a lunar eclipse occurs when the moon is full, and a full moon rises as the sun sets.

Pinemarten
2003-May-01, 12:08 PM
But the sun doesn't stay set for too long this far north at this time of year. The peak here is listed at 9:40 pm local, sunset is 9:01 pm tonight. By mid May our sunset might not happen until 10pm.

kilopi
2003-May-01, 12:32 PM
But the sun doesn't stay set for too long this far north at this time of year. The peak here is listed at 9:40 pm local, sunset is 9:01 pm tonight. By mid May our sunset might not happen until 10pm.
If that were the case, then you'd miss the peak, but I think the sun sets around 9:28pm there, on May 15, so the moon will be in eclipse when it rises.

Pinemarten
2003-May-01, 12:45 PM
I think I understand now. I will invest $18 in 50ASA film, find the Canon, fix the tripod, and hopefully post some good northern exposures.

Nightfall
2003-May-03, 04:25 PM
I think I understand now. I will invest $18 in 50ASA film, find the Canon, fix the tripod, and hopefully post some good northern exposures.
How should I go about shooting a picture of a lunar eclipse?

tracer
2003-May-03, 04:50 PM
"Red moooooon, you left me standin' alooooooone,"

Glom
2003-May-03, 05:30 PM
Also for any Jocks on the board, there's an annular eclipse on the morning of May 31.

Matherly
2003-May-04, 01:02 AM
You mean I have to chose between the opening of Matrix Reloaded and a Lunar Eclipse. Nuts. Guess I'll have to wait until Friday to see Reloaded (and after missing the opening of X2 for inlaws <sigh>)

(edied 'cause I can't type)

Pinemarten
2003-May-04, 08:20 AM
How should I go about shooting a picture of a lunar eclipse?

The timing is the tricky part. I am going to take several pics at different times because the math makes my brain hurt. 1/2 second up to 4-5 minutes. 135mm f 2.8 lens, 50 ASA film.
Photography sites may have more info about timing. If you don't have a nice camera, and want to get nice pics you might be able to whine to a camera store or pawn shop about renting one for a day or two. Most camera shops have used ones and good advice about night shots. Pawn shops know a lot about cameras, and usually have a better selection, and prices.

If your camera has a little screw hole in the top of the 'take a picture' button you can buy a mechanical remote shutter release. $2-3 US. If your camera has a B setting on the shutter speed it helps.
Set the camera up on a tripod or a stick ($0 US) so it doesn't jiggle for a few minutes. The B setting will keep the hole open until you let go of the remote, most have a lock so your thumb don't get sore.
Some cameras have shutter speeds up to 8 seconds or more, so you can use the timer to take the picture. Trying to push the button manually will cause jiggles.
The lower the ASA, ISO, or DIN number on the film the better. 200- 400 is common, and I think 50 is the lowest they make in color.
I don't like using automatic settings, but many cameras don't give you a choice. Some are aperature priority, some are shutter priority, some offer both.
Point the camera at the moon , focus to infinity, with max zoom, or your longest lens.

If anyone else wishes to add /correct please feel free to jump in.

dumbumwoody
2003-May-06, 02:25 AM
why don't u just make up all that ** that these "astronomers" are making up now and take a picture of a chinese ying yang sign

tracer
2003-May-06, 02:27 AM
You mean, because the moon doesn't exist (http://www.revisionism.nl/Moon/The-Mad-Revisionist.htm)?

Pinemarten
2003-May-06, 04:23 AM
I hope I didn't cause confusion. As a darn good amateur photographer, I will conceitedly quote myself.
"If it can be seen by a human, I can capture it."

xriso
2003-May-06, 05:03 AM
Looks like by the time the moon clears the trees here, it will be completely out of eclipse. I suppose I'll have to find a nice tall hill to sit on.

Vermonter
2003-May-09, 10:02 PM
Is anyone going to be photographing the event? I'm going to attempt to capture it on film and digitally (prolly buy a disposable camera) and post it online.

I did see on the Weather.com that there might be clouds and rain on the 15th/16th...

Hopefully it will clear up so we can witness the eclipse!

Russ
2003-May-12, 01:53 AM
I'be been to Prudhoe Bay, Alaska. It's above the arctic circle where the Sun shines 24/7. Anytiime the Moon was above the horizon (it's sometimes not due to orbital dynamics) it was visible, even in bright Sun light.