PDA

View Full Version : Ballina Shire developments

mattweather
2006-Sep-14, 07:46 AM
Ballina Shire council had announced that we getting a lot of major development. They managing our tourism and also economics too. Ballina population had grew faster than average since 2001 and it already passed Gold Coast's population yearly rate! Ballina central shopping centre had completed its development it included Hungry Jacks, BigW, IGA Ritches and DSE. Ballina International Ramada Hotel is on construction at the moment and also WaterMark building also started. Ballina major developments are:

1.Ballina RSL/Ballina RSL bowling club development
Ballina RSL club will expand into major club in regional NSW. It includes twin residental hotel highrises (6 floors) and expansion of clubbing rooms such as dining and bar. This development will also expand Ballina RSL Bowling Club (apart the same club) with old people homes, more bowling greens and dining. This development may complete in late 2007.

2.Ballina Fair Shopping Centre expansion
The company that owns Ballina Fair has lodged a development application with Ballina Shire council to extend the shopping centre and add two more cinemas. Colonel First State Property Management has applied to extend the main building to include the cinemas, add 1375 square-meters of retail floor space to the eastern elevation of the main building, develop a piazza adjacent to the southern entry of the main building and refurishment the facilities of the main building. Also proposed is to decommission the loading dock at the back of the building, and enclose it to provide increased storage space, and to reconfigure the carpark. Ballina Fair exisiting have 54 stores, Woolworths, Best and less, two cinemas, target coming soon and KFC drive thru.

3.River Street major Australian development
First time in out of Australia capital cities as that Ballina developing a huge CBD shopping centre with major multistorey retails, carparks, residental buildings and exhibition centre. This also may bring more tourists and economic rates up.This development will be notified after September 30th and it will be on submission at Ballina Shire council. (I will let you all know as its on public)

4.Major marina development
Ballina will start on the development of 100 marina berths and residental living. This will be stage one and will complete during 2007. Stage 2 and 3 will follow the first stage, whole development will complete in 2010. This will located behind the police station in River Street and east of Ramada International.

5.Ballina Bypass
Major bypass will start construction next year and preconstruction had started this month. This bypass will help Ballina traffic flow and reduce fear to residents. Ballina will include 3 lanes each way, toll road, service roads, 3 major interchanges and traffic lights development. This major bypass may complete in early 2008.

More development news will be posted.

HenrikOlsen
2006-Sep-14, 09:44 PM
More development news will be posted.
Why?

mattweather
2006-Sep-15, 06:07 AM
Because anyone else would believe me as what i said.

Musashi
2006-Sep-15, 06:22 AM
Because anyone else would believe me as what i said.
What does that mean?

ToSeek
2006-Sep-15, 02:44 PM
Is there any reason why members here should take an interest in Ballina Shire developments?

Musashi
2006-Sep-15, 03:34 PM
I could start in with Orange County, CA news I guess. Does anyone want to know about the progress on the widening of the 22 freeway?

How about the fight between the city of Brea and the First Evangelical Free Church over a parking structure?

Speaking of parking structures, Fullerton College just finished theirs a month or so ago, but now the street (Lemon) is all beat up. I wonder if they are waiting until the break between semesters to fix it?

Also, back to Brea, they were pouring concrete for the combination commercial space/artists lofts on Brea boulevard yesterday. Part of the downtown revitalization project.

I had lunch in downtown Fullerton yesterday. I hadn't noticed how nice it is getting. They also have a pretty elaborate building project in the works.

That reminds me, the Buena Park mall used to be such a dump, but in the past few years they have really done a great job on it. The Sears is still pretty dumpy looking, but the theater area is very Downtown Disney. They also attracted some decent eateries.

All in all, I am still waiting for a good Blues Bar/BBQ joint. Unless I start one myself, I will probably have to wait quite some time.

soylentgreen
2006-Sep-15, 03:40 PM
It seems like a tremendous set of changes for what is a modestly-sized community.
http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/881/ballina5fm5.jpg

When rapid development occurs in this country it almost always ends up turning into a commercial zone nightmare. Here's to hoping it doesn't overwhelm the area's inherent loveliness.

As someone considering emigrating to Australia(now more than ever!), I find this kind of ground level view on regional growth very interesting.

Why?

I could start in with Orange County, CA news I guess. ...... Unless I start one myself, I will probably have to wait quite some time.
If you're not interested in what's posted in this thread, why not just stay the hell out of it and not post anything? Snarky posts like this are more common in this forum than they should be. And they are nowhere near as clever as the authors think they are. Do so many forum members really consider themselves to be the arbiters of interest range around here?

Is there any reason why members here should take an interest in Ballina Shire developments?
To some, nothing could be less-interesting than Michelle Wie, pre-nuptial regulations in Arizona, a poll on the most expensive hockey card or yet another 'What's your favorite meat?' thread.

ToSeek
2006-Sep-15, 03:46 PM
To some, nothing could be less-interesting than Michelle Wie, pre-nuptial regulations in Arizona, a poll on the most expensive hockey card or yet another 'What's your favorite meat?' thread.

Yes, to some, but to others they are interesting, and, as you say, the rest can just skip the thread. So far no one has indicated much of an interest in this topic other than the OP, and it opens the door to lots of threads along the same lines.

I'm letting the thread go because it's not an explicit rule violation, but I still don't understand why the OP thought his information was of interest to any other people on this forum.

Musashi
2006-Sep-15, 03:49 PM
Would it be better to have one thread about community development or 50?

soylentgreen
2006-Sep-15, 04:14 PM
Yes, to some, but to others they are interesting, and, as you say, the rest can just skip the thread. So far no one has indicated much of an interest in this topic other than the OP, and it opens the door to lots of threads along the same lines.

I'm letting the thread go because it's not an explicit rule violation, but I still don't understand why the OP thought his information was of interest to any other people on this forum.

One person is not enough? What kind of parameter is that? I was actually typing my post when Musashi made his second and more cloying wisecrack.

If nobody has interest in a thread, nobody replies...the op peters out on contributing...the thread 'dies' a natural death. No need for locking.

And what exactly defines 'interesting'? The amount of replies? 'Popular' and 'interesting' are two different concepts. Someone's visit to a car museum, who's the better tennis player, a gallery of somebody's bored-at-work doodles and worrying about Joss Whedon fiction as if it were a real world issue also fall into the 'who cares?' category for people too.

Why don't you call HenrikOlsen and Musashi on their unecessarily rude posts? Seems to me like that should be more of a concern than how many people immediately responded to mattweather's post. Especially as people are so quick to point out how this is a 'family friendly forum'.

and again...

Would it be better to have one thread about community development or 50?

How many Banquo polls does the forum need? How many breathless reports on having just finished some extremely self-concerned task does the forum need? How many 'my vacation photos' threads does the forum need?

When did you become the measure of a forum members interests Musashi?

Someone does find this thread interesting and that should be enough. So how about just staying out of the thread? Simple, no?

Jeff Root
2006-Sep-15, 04:36 PM
I found Musashi's comments about Orange County much more
interesting than the comments from Matt, which Matt evidently
cut and pasted from somewhere else.

50 threads would be better than one, but I would hardly ever
read any of them.

-- Jeff, in the Prospect Park neighborhood of Minneapolis

ToSeek
2006-Sep-15, 04:46 PM
I found Musashi's comments about Orange County much more
interesting than the comments from Matt, which Matt evidently
cut and pasted from somewhere else.

Come to think of it, that's probably why the original post bothers me as much as it does. If you have a concern about how your town is getting overdeveloped or somesuch (or want to boast about how it's expanding) and want to share your personal views, that's one thing. But the original post reads like a Chamber of Commerce press release.

soylentgreen
2006-Sep-15, 06:40 PM
50 threads would be better than one, but I would hardly ever
read any of them.

-- Jeff, in the Prospect Park neighborhood of Minneapolis

Then start with this one!

Argos
2006-Sep-15, 07:02 PM
Well, I honestly don´t mind reading about how people live elsewhere. I actually find it interesting. Sometimes, little bits of information, fringe topics, can help to refine your view of the big picture.

Keep me informed of the developments in Ballina. ;)

Musashi
2006-Sep-15, 08:55 PM
One person is not enough? What kind of parameter is that? I was actually typing my post when Musashi made his second and more cloying wisecrack.

If nobody has interest in a thread, nobody replies...the op peters out on contributing...the thread 'dies' a natural death. No need for locking.

And what exactly defines 'interesting'? The amount of replies? 'Popular' and 'interesting' are two different concepts. Someone's visit to a car museum, who's the better tennis player, a gallery of somebody's bored-at-work doodles and worrying about Joss Whedon fiction as if it were a real world issue also fall into the 'who cares?' category for people too.

Why don't you call HenrikOlsen and Musashi on their unecessarily rude posts? Seems to me like that should be more of a concern than how many people immediately responded to mattweather's post. Especially as people are so quick to point out how this is a 'family friendly forum'.

and again...

How many Banquo polls does the forum need? How many breathless reports on having just finished some extremely self-concerned task does the forum need? How many 'my vacation photos' threads does the forum need?

When did you become the measure of a forum members interests Musashi?

Someone does find this thread interesting and that should be enough. So how about just staying out of the thread? Simple, no?

Why don't you keep your rude posts to yourself then? I will admit that my post about my community was initially a bit tongue-in-cheek, but as I was writing it, I realized just how much redevelopment was going on in my local area. As I thought about it, it even brought up some interesting questions. So aside from a little sarcasm, I am not sure what you are pointing out as rude. And while you answer that, take a look at the rudeness in your posts. If you can't speak civilly to me about it, then maybe you should be the one staying out of the thread.

When did I become the measure of forum interests? Never. And I am not claiming I am such either. Looks like someone finds my post interesting as well, so how about stopping the rude commentary. Simple, no?

I noticed you didn't answer the question though. Would it be better to have 1 thread for this kind of thing or 50?

I'll tell you what, I'll apologize for my initial sarcasm if you'll apologize for your rudeness to me. In fact, I'll apologize even if you don't.

Sorry Matt and anyone else who was offended by the sarcasm in my OC post. But now that I am genuinely interested, would it be better if I continued posting my development thoughts and questions here or if I started a new thread?

soylentgreen
2006-Sep-16, 12:35 AM
Why don't you keep your rude posts to yourself then? I will admit that my post about my community was initially a bit tongue-in-cheek, but as I was writing it, I realized just how much redevelopment was going on in my local area. As I thought about it, it even brought up some interesting questions. So aside from a little sarcasm, I am not sure what you are pointing out as rude. And while you answer that, take a look at the rudeness in your posts. If you can't speak civilly to me about it, then maybe you should be the one staying out of the thread.

When did I become the measure of forum interests? Never. And I am not claiming I am such either. Looks like someone finds my post interesting as well, so how about stopping the rude commentary. Simple, no?

I noticed you didn't answer the question though. Would it be better to have 1 thread for this kind of thing or 50?

I'll tell you what, I'll apologize for my initial sarcasm if you'll apologize for your rudeness to me. In fact, I'll apologize even if you don't.

Sorry Matt and anyone else who was offended by the sarcasm in my OC post. But now that I am genuinely interested, would it be better if I continued posting my development thoughts and questions here or if I started a new thread?

Fair enough. I, as well, apologize for my abrasive reactions earlier.

I think there is some 'fertile ground' lurking in this topic. Could bear some further discussion. I can't promise I won't lament out loud the widespread 'death of main street' in my part of the country, though.

Let us allow the thread to continue in it's natural course, for the benefit of anyone interested. Unless, of course, Matt ironically never does post anything else! :wall:

mattweather
2006-Sep-16, 01:11 AM
LOL i don't need politics in here. :mad:

All of this Ballina Shire development is from newspapers, Shire Council and city anouncement.
That photo was tooken back in 2000 because there is no highrises around. We got about 5 of them now and couple are on construction. Ballina population is growing over 50,000 and its fast.

http://www.totaltravel.com.au/photos/lennoxheadhostel/lennox-head-accommodation.jpg
This is Lennox Head on Ballina's northern suburbs, Lennox Head was a village and it has extend into major town and adjoined Ballina city's urban area. Anyway this iis a map of Ballina:http://www.whereis.com/whereis/getMap.do (http://http://www.whereis.com/whereis/getMap.do)
Can you zoom out and you will see lennox head adjoining Ballina area. Ballina's major town plans is Ballina Heights: http://www.ballinaheights.com.au/ (http://http://www.ballinaheights.com.au/)
http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=ballina+shire&btnG=Search&meta=cr%3DcountryAU
http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=lennox+head&btnG=Search&meta=cr%3DcountryAU

Ballina population is well above 45,000 people with Estimated population for 2006 is 48,000.

Ballina IS NOT a small community, it city growing like Gold Coast and Sydney. You talk someone else that they know about Ballina, they will say it big. Why you argue with me? I tell is all the truth, what kind of lies i would say? NONE! Please respect this

Musashi
2006-Sep-16, 01:25 AM
Is that 45,000-50,000 it in the area? Or are there other towns bordering Ballina that have additional population? I only ask because the two smallish cities near me have 35,000 (Brea) and 50,000 (La Habra) people each. The city I live in has about 125,000(Fullerton) people. This is all within about 50 sq. mi. I consider Brea and Fullerton on the small side. Of course there are also places like Coarsegold. 170 sq. mi. and under 10,000 people.

mattweather
2006-Sep-16, 01:30 AM
Just Ballina only. Byron Bay and Lismore City is seperated population. Lismore have 120,000 in area and Byron Bay is 35,000 in area.

Musashi
2006-Sep-16, 01:36 AM
But, Ballina is made up of one big conglomeration of people or seperate towns? Like Alstonville, Lennoxhead, etc.?

mattweather
2006-Sep-16, 01:43 AM
Oh ummm i don't know about that but that estimated population works on Ballina only seperating the other towns. BTW Lennox Head is in Ballina urban area.

Jeff Root
2006-Sep-16, 07:55 AM
I keep seeing the title of this thread and envisioning a ballerina
performing développés with an English shire horse.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

mattweather
2006-Sep-23, 06:50 AM
In syallabus, Ballina is Bal-lina not Ball-ina.

Ballina will get more traffic lights for intersections, two will be completed late this year and also more will planning during the period and thats also improve Ballina's Traffic. Ballina first traffic light was demolated and changed into intersection between shopping centres.

GateWay Ballina building project between RSL club and Kerr Street on River Street fronting the street and river. Model: http://www.planning.nsw.gov.au/asp/pdf/05_0009_model_photos.pdf and also article: http://www.northernstar.com.au/localnews/storydisplay.cfm?storyid=3702300&thesection=localnews&thesubsection=&thesecondsubsection=
This will improve Ballina's economy and contribute the tourism.

HomeWorld Ballina will be situated in West Ballina on the Hwy next to new Balline bypass interchange (not yet to construct next year). http://www.northernstar.com.au/localnews/storydisplay.cfm?storyid=3702446&thesection=localnews&thesubsection=&thesecondsubsection=

Those two projects are enormous for Ballina and it that quick to build it and also rich.

Anyone
2008-Feb-29, 07:11 AM
Ballina hasn't reached 50,000 people yet and that population is in the shire not Ballina itself

Maksutov
2008-Feb-29, 11:43 AM
Maybe things looked more promising when the post prior to yours was made 1.5 years ago. http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/566/iconwink6tn.gif

Whatever happened to the OP? Got caught by one of those supercells he claimed was more destructive than a cat 5 hurricane?

:think:

HenrikOlsen
2008-Feb-29, 06:07 PM
Chamber of Commerce commercials for the area almost invariably overstimate the future growth of the area.

When they don't they have no idea what happened but will invariably take credit for it anyway.