PDA

View Full Version : A B C D, A different perspective

suntrack2
2006-Sep-14, 12:45 PM
We know a for apple, b for bat, I have collected the A to Z starting sentences which I found most suitable
To post here. If you have such collection of A-Z then please add here.

Always be prompt
Believe in common sense
Consider well before deciding
Dare to do right
Express yourself better
Fear to do wrong
Go for the Goal
Honesty is the best policy
Innovate new ideas
Judge your actions
Keep cool even in adverse situations
Learn to co-operate
Maintain discipline
Never try to appear what you are not
Observe good manners
Pray regularly
Quest for knowledge
Respect the counsel of your parents
Serve the society
Trust your memory
Utilize time properly
Verify your information
Watch others actions
X also has a value
Yearn for the common good
Zeal for the best

soylentgreen
2006-Sep-14, 06:59 PM
Fear to do wrong
Maintain discipline
Pray regularly
Serve the society
Utilize time properly
Watch others actions
Yearn for the common good

I think you may have missed your calling in the propaganda poster slogan department. ;)

HenrikOlsen
2006-Sep-14, 10:20 PM
Authority should be questioned
Books should be read not burned
Conservationists should be listened to, with a skeptical ear
Democracies are not axiomatically good
Education should be enthusiastically sought
Fun should be had
Grapefruit should be avoided on pizzas
Heads should not be injured
Jousting should only be participated in for fun
Kindness should be it's own reward (you're not likely to get any other)
Libraries should be plenty and free to use for everyone
Mouths should only be used for speaking after the brain has been used for thinking.
Never fear to do wrong, that fear will prevent any action, right and wrong
Opera can be enjoyable (it's just not often it is)
Pizza is good food if you make it yourself
Question authority
Read, lots
Sing, if only in the shower
Talk to strangers
Use you mind
Vary your activities so you learn new skills
Xenophobia should be cured if you have it
Youth is temporary, deal with it
Zoology is also about humans

suntrack2
2006-Sep-15, 02:53 PM
aha, henrik its quite nice abcd.

Ronald Brak
2006-Sep-15, 03:07 PM
Okay, here's my radical idea. Get rid of the ABC and replace it with the ah bh kh and pronounce the letters phonetically. That will make things a bit simpler.

In fact why do we have the ABC? It makes no sense. The names of the letters do not sound like the sounds they represent. The ancient Greeks had it right, the name of each letter was a word that started with the sound the letter made. So when they said the alphabet they said a list of words that started with the sound the letter made. But since English stole its alphabet the names of the letters don't actually mean anything and are basically nonsense. We could get rid of the ABC and replace it with short words that start with the basic sound of the letter. Apple, Bat, Cat, Dog etc, but just using the phonetic sounds is proabably just as easy.

triplebird
2006-Sep-15, 06:21 PM
...We could get rid of the ABC and replace it with short words that start with the basic sound of the letter. Apple, Bat, Cat, Dog etc, but just using the phonetic sounds is proabably just as easy.

Already done--the aviation/military/police phonetic alphabet starts Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, Delta... :)

Ronald Brak
2006-Sep-15, 06:26 PM
Already done--the aviation/military/police phonetic alphabet starts Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, Delta...

The ancient Greeks still have the edge over us. To most people those words are still going to be nonsense words.

Gillianren
2006-Sep-15, 07:45 PM
While the alpha/bravo/charlie or whatever alphabet has its place, replacing letters with their phonetic sounds is impractical. Which do you use, "cat" or "cent"? Which do you use, "ice" or "igloo"?

suntrack2
2006-Sep-16, 10:04 AM
hmm, ronald your idea is quite nice, there is no problem by starting the sentences by using your idea. mostly people starts themselves with abcd and hence I think the abcd must be in different perspective. :)

yes, gillianren as you stated the options for the words are quite huge like "ice or igloo".

sunil

Ronald Brak
2006-Sep-16, 05:03 PM
While the alpha/bravo/charlie or whatever alphabet has its place, replacing letters with their phonetic sounds is impractical. Which do you use, "cat" or "cent"? Which do you use, "ice" or "igloo"?

I'd suggest using the most commonly sound for a letter. I'm willing to bet that for most people if they tried to say the alphabet phonetically and quickly they would use the most common sounds for the letters.

Some people might object to having two "k" sounding letters but I can't figure out why we need two of them anyway.

I'm not really serious about making changes. Last time I suggested simplifiying things a lot of people freaked.

Gillianren
2006-Sep-16, 05:55 PM
If you read back a little in the history of modern English, you'll discover a lot of suggestions to "simplify" English that almost inevitably end up more complicated. As an English major, it's my job to know these things.

Ronald Brak
2006-Sep-16, 06:52 PM
If you read back a little in the history of modern English, you'll discover a lot of suggestions to "simplify" English that almost inevitably end up more complicated. As an English major, it's my job to know these things.

I wouldn't say almost inevitably. Noah Webster spelt Canada with a K. That never caught on, but due his efforts and others U.S. spelling is a little simpler than British spelling.

My goal in my lifetime is to get people here to spell litre, centre, etc. the American way. I intend to achieve this via telepathy or possibly threats if I ever finish my RoboKong project. (Currently I'm filing down spare parts from MechaGodzilla to fit. That's a lot of filing so it may take me some time.)

HenrikOlsen
2006-Sep-17, 02:56 PM
You mean spell as if the words where imported from german rather than from french?

Ronald Brak
2006-Sep-18, 03:44 PM
You mean spell as if the words where imported from german rather than from french?

In practice mostly yes, in theory trying to get them to spelt more like they are pronounced. Seaseme Street lied to me. They made it look as though words could be spelt out but words often cannot be sounded out in English. I was betrayed! And they can see Snuffleuffagus now. And Big Bird is now a twirp. Big Bird used to have his own place and make his own mind up. Now he does what the man tells him. What's up with that? They training kids to obey now or what?

Gillianren
2006-Sep-18, 06:25 PM
The grownups can see Mr. Snuffleupagus now--and have since about 1986--because the producers of the show felt it was important that kids feel that grownups believe kids when they say things, especially things like "that person is touching me."