PDA

View Full Version : Quit-smoking laser?

Kebsis
2006-Sep-15, 08:47 PM
I was in my car and I heard an add for what purports to be a laser system that makes you wanna quit smoking. Sounds like a bunch of (creative and family friendly synonym for an implausible claim) to me! I don't know much about it though, I guess they zap you in the eye or nose or something with a laser and than tell you not to smoke anymore. Has anyone else heard of this?

Doodler
2006-Sep-15, 08:56 PM
Funny, I thought the laser pistol was a decade or so off still...

Swift
2006-Sep-15, 09:21 PM
Well, your posting triggered a Google ad for the method. LINK (http://www.1ststatelaserconcept.com/)

How it Works

Low level laser, also referred to as soft or cold laser is used to help with appetite control and the urge to smoke. This treatment is often described as biostimulation of energy on meridian and auricular points associated with the desire to smoke and eat.

Much like acupuncture, stimulating the meridian and auricular points causes the body to respond by helping it to produce what is necessary to stop smoking, manage weight,and reduce stress.

Unlike acupuncture though, low level laser treatment uses no needles.

Low level laser therapy has been used in Europe and Canada for over 25 years with much success. Since coming to the United States, laser therapy has been administered in Florida, Georgia, Las Vegas, New York, Nevada, New Jersey and now Delaware.

Yep. ;)

Kebsis
2006-Sep-15, 10:43 PM
Ah, so it's just a type of acupuncure, as far as it's being described. A very expensive form of acupuncture, to be sure (the ad I heard stated, without laughing somehow, 'Treatments start at $199...so what do you have to lose?')

Swift
2006-Sep-15, 10:45 PM
Ah, so it's just a type of acupuncure, as far as it's being described. A very expensive form of acupuncture, to be sure (the ad I heard stated, without laughing somehow, 'Treatments start at $199...so what do you have to lose?')
I would say about $199 and the time you might have spent towards a treatment that really worked. ;)

Dr Forbin
2006-Sep-15, 11:20 PM
If I may jump in.

The treatment stimulates, as it's final goal, brain areas to produce those same chemical products that, prescription meds can to be used to stimulate it.

I bet you can get those scripts and pills for far less than $199.00.

What is the success rate of patients going for this new treatment?:think:
Was it even tested in clinical trial?

If it's the same as results from standard treatments, I wouldn't waste my money.;)

Maha Vailo
2006-Sep-15, 11:25 PM
I say you should save your money and get yourself "the patch" or some nicotine gum. At least that's available OTC (at least where I live).

- Maha "laser follies" Vailo

mike alexander
2006-Sep-15, 11:40 PM
Heck, even at today's prices, that's 40 packs of cigs or so.

Actually, I was expecting something that would detect the heat of the cigarette tip then fire a pulse to explode the butt in your face.

Kebsis
2006-Sep-15, 11:42 PM
I think I would smoke cigs just to watch them get blown up :).

But I wasn't considering this procedure, just wondering how deep the bunk was with it.

The Supreme Canuck
2006-Sep-16, 04:08 PM
Low level laser therapy has been used in Europe and Canada for over 25 years with much success.

Uh... no. Not here. Never heard of it.

suntrack2
2006-Sep-16, 04:55 PM
the simple way in quiting smoking is one must be strict while purchasing the cigarate box first. secondly if wrongly purchased it anyway, don't hesitate to throw the box into the dustbin, and see the results. today the cities are least polluted by the vehicles but are looking polluted only due to smoking, most of the theatres, movie halls are packed with a dense smoke. we have to care for the child and the family, because that smoke creates for them a great problem in inhailing and later they may be suffer from the prolong bronchitese.

a slight entertainment for neurological system may also creates the person addict, many people starts their day with leaving a long stroke of smoking in the air and shows their confidence, but for what!

yet I have not touch the cigarate, this is for your information.

Kebsis
2006-Sep-16, 11:06 PM
Where do you live that smoking is allowed in theaters?

Swift
2006-Sep-17, 04:01 AM
Where do you live that smoking is allowed in theaters?
I believe Suntrack2 lives in India. There are many parts of the world where smoking is still allowed in public places.

Dr Forbin
2006-Sep-17, 04:37 AM
I believe Suntrack2 lives in India. There are many parts of the world where smoking is still allowed in public places.

I am a smoker. I shouldn't be but, I am. I've quit 5 times. The longest for 8 months and I will try again soon.

What Suntrack2 discribes is horrorable. I would think it to be the same as exhailing smoke into a non-smokers face non-stop. Even I would get sick to my stomach.

Why is it allowed to be so bad there? Can or is the Indian government doing anything about it like our federal, state, and local governments have? Very sad. Think of the kids at least.

suntrack2
2006-Sep-17, 02:15 PM
well, dr. forbin, thanks for the message. infact what happens for every individual in this world has authority to behave and act at his own, but few of them really corner this fact and also start smoking in the beautiful garden, where the garden is made to take the fragrance of the cute flowers and nice grass, to enjoy with the kids and family members, but there also the fear arise and people are deliberately smoke in the garden by keeping one old novel in the hand, or their one hand having a cigarate their second hand is engaged in the popcorn cone, and their eyes are in novel, and shooooooo, zishhhhhhhh, smoking continues.

In India, particularly in the public places, and in the govt. offices, hospitals, colleges, schools there is a strict ban for smoking, but you know people found some place to start their activity to release smoke in the air, sometime, behind of trees, or behind of the wall of a tea canteen, everywhere there is a little place they try for smoke.
even you will be surprise to hear that the 15 year old boy also can gently smoke well. :) what to say and whom to say, because saying something to someone is just not prefered by the hearer, you know it.

But for the health sake the smoke is mostly not suitable for the lungs, windpipe, stomatch and for the brain too, smoking must have to avoid always. sometime asthama also quite possible in the new smokers, and it is not also good in the home where the pregnant women is living.

Today cigarate companies are fetching lot of profits on the every sales of the cigarates, there is a fashion to smoke with the cigarate which is made of leaf called as Tendu-leaf, the tribals collect this and cigarate company process it, roles it and filled with the tobacco.

Demigrog
2006-Sep-18, 08:28 PM
Eek, I wouldn't laugh at this one folks; the laser they are using is a class IV between 1W and 6W. Obviously I'm not saying it does what they claim, but with that kind of power it likely does something, like burn holes in the patient if the operator isn't careful.

I'd say a proper double blind test is worthwhile in this case (I'd demand it really, given the safety issue!). Unlike acupuncture where the placebo effect is impossible to eliminate (its pretty easy to tell you're being punctured or not, though location is supposidly a factor), it'd be pretty easy to use lower power settings so that the users couldn't tell if they were being treated for real or not.