PDA

View Full Version : Darwin and the Racing Asparagus

Jim
2006-Sep-20, 01:02 PM
Robert Krulwich did a piece on NPR about a new book on Charles Darwin. It was a fascinating listen; if you missed it, the audio file (and an excerpt from the book) can be found at http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=6105541 .

(One really neat bit of trivia is that Darwin corresponded with the grandfather of one of the discoverers of the DNA code.)

farmerjumperdon
2006-Sep-20, 03:15 PM
Robert Krulwich did a piece on NPR about a new book on Charles Darwin. It was a fascinating listen; if you missed it, the audio file (and an excerpt from the book) can be found at http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=6105541 .

(One really neat bit of trivia is that Darwin corresponded with the grandfather of one of the discoverers of the DNA code.)

It's a small world at the top og the intellectual heap, heh?

I was watching a Nova episode last night, Einstein's Big Idea; and one of the things that struck me was the tight community (and camraderie) evident amongst the great minds of the day.

BTW, the program was very well done. It gave the best descriptions of relativity and related matters I've ever seen (as far as them making sense of the material by using terms friendly to a layperson). I may have to obtain that episode for the future viewing pleasure of me and the kids.

Gillianren
2006-Sep-20, 04:42 PM
The only problem I have with Einstein's Big Idea--I don't know enough to criticize the history, of course--is that a couple of the actresses in it are people I remember from minor roles elsewhere; it's hard to take Einstein seriously when he's married to Moaning Myrtle.

sarongsong
2006-Sep-20, 05:22 PM
...(One really neat bit of trivia is that Darwin corresponded with the grandfather of one of the discoverers of the DNA code.)and just as there was an unsung woman behind the DNA discovery, so there was one, Lise Meitner, behind the discovery of fission:
NARRATOR: Meitner and Frisch published the discovery of what they called nuclear fission to great acclaim. But betrayal awaited them. Otto Hahn was under pressure from the Nazi regime to write his Jewish colleague out of the story. He alone was awarded the 1944 Nobel Prize for the discovery. In his speech he barely mentioned the leading role of Meitner. Bizarrely even after the war, Hahn maintained it was he and not Meitner who had discovered nuclear fission....
Einstein's Big Idea (http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/transcripts/3213_einstein.html) (Transcript)Small world, indeed!

farmerjumperdon
2006-Sep-20, 05:23 PM
The only problem I have with Einstein's Big Idea--I don't know enough to criticize the history, of course--is that a couple of the actresses in it are people I remember from minor roles elsewhere; it's hard to take Einstein seriously when he's married to Moaning Myrtle.

And exactly what genre of movie is it that makes you familiar with Moaning Myrtle?

Moose
2006-Sep-20, 05:27 PM
Harry Potter 2 and 3. Sorry to crush your hopes and dreams, Don. ;)