PDA

View Full Version : Dark Matter, Universe Expansion, Question

davinci7_gis
2006-Sep-20, 02:21 PM
The other night, on the Science Channel, I watched a program that said that the universe is expanding and I believe the scientist said that it is expanding faster and faster as time progresses (faster than light?). I have no problem with this since they back up the claim using the data gathered from the cosmic microwave background radiation.

My question is: how can the universe expand faster and faster and NOT affect the speed of light/gravity and time; I thought that qulaities of light were hinged to the nature of space-time.

Put another way, how can the universe expand faster than the speed of light? Do I not have all the facts or have I misunderstood something? If it is expanding faster than light, will this affect time/space, gravity and light?

Thanks, I really appreciate this forum.

antoniseb
2006-Sep-20, 02:39 PM
how can the universe expand faster than the speed of light?

While you could potentially look at two specific parts of the universe which are sufficiently far apart, and identify that the universe is expanding such that they are moving apart faster than the speed of light, the actual expansion rate of the universe is quite small when looked at locally. It is expanding at a rate of 2 cm/second per light year.

Cougar
2006-Sep-20, 02:51 PM
This question has been answered pretty well HERE. (http://curious.astro.cornell.edu/question.php?number=575)