PDA

View Full Version : Martians are attacking again!

g99
2003-May-01, 07:39 PM
hehe! got you.:-)

The Cartoon network is making a new series dealing with [big booming voice] Duck Dodgers in the 24th and a half century [/big booming voice]. It will also have his sidekick Porky and Marvin the martian.

Here (http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/art-main.html?2003-05/01/10.00.tv) is some more info.

One small thing i never noticed was that Marvin the Martian's rank is Martian Commander X-2. Cool. :-)

Hey it's space and mars right?
When i comes on we can debate the science of it. :-)

-----------

P.S. they are also bringing back Justice league (YAY! i liked that show) and making a superhero series that looks like it will be a modern version of the superfriends with robin as the main character instead of superman.

Glom
2003-May-01, 08:31 PM
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I love Duck Dodgers in the 24th and half century. I've got a video called Space Tunes which has a cartoon called Duck Dodgers in the 24th and half century. I think it may have been the original.

I also love Marvin the Martian. I dressed up as him for a fancy-dress party.

g99
2003-May-01, 09:14 PM
Did you do the voice and entire outfit?

daver
2003-May-01, 09:27 PM
P.S. they are also bringing back Justice league (YAY! i liked that show) and making a superhero series that looks like it will be a modern version of the superfriends with robin as the main character instead of superman.

Would this be Grayson as Nightwing?

As a rule, you should probably avoid putting Justice League and Superfriends in the same sentence, unless you're trying for extremes (quasar vs brown dwarf, Shakespeare vs Irwin Allen, that sort of thing).

Glom
2003-May-01, 10:04 PM

I had pretty much everything except for the black face and white gloves. I made the green skirt out of card but it wasn't very strong and before long I just dumped it on a chair and danced with my girlfriend instead.

Glom
2003-May-01, 10:10 PM
One thing I should say is that I think Looney Tunes does some of the best sci-fi there is. The reason? Because they are very cartoonish about it. They make space look colourful and a very interesting place to be whereas those sci-fi programmes that tend to want to be taken seriously tend to make it look too drab.

g99
2003-May-01, 11:04 PM

Would this be Grayson as Nightwing?

As a rule, you should probably avoid putting Justice League and Superfriends in the same sentence, unless you're trying for extremes (quasar vs brown dwarf, Shakespeare vs Irwin Allen, that sort of thing).

No, not nightwing, Robin (what is it the thrid one now?).

Actually now trhat i think about it, they just say Robin, but as a teenager. So i imagine the second Robin. Wasn't he a teenager?

They are gong to be seperate shows. Justice league and a new show featuring robin and a bunch of old superfriends characters.

I actually thoght that the old superferiends were entertaining. sure they diverged from all known genres in comics and powers, but hey i can forgive. FOX wasn't around then, so someone had to do that kind of stuff. :-)

g99
2003-May-01, 11:13 PM

I had pretty much everything except for the black face and white gloves. I made the green skirt out of card but it was very strong and before long I just dumped it on a chair and danced with my girlfriend instead.

O.K. i just got a really bad image.

It will take alot of money to get that out of my head. :-)

So at least your girlfriend can say she got you to take your skirt off first.

----------------------

I would agree that looneytones would be the best. They know they have it worng and don't care. They do not try to make it correct.

But Looney tunes does teach simple effects of physics: Gravity, speed, acceleration, and momentum.

Lets take to roadrunner cartoons for example:

Garvity, well what comes up, always comes down. The rock perously placed at the top of the cliff falling down. Or Wily E. Cyote shooting something up in the air and seeing it come down on his head.,

Speed, acceleration, and momentum: It takes some time to accelerate. You start off slowly and then get faster. The faster you go, the background gets fuzzy, and you can see less stuff clearly. Finally when you want to stop, it takes a while to stop and you cannot stop easily.

Say you are on a ACME rocket, You lite the fuse at the and and watch it burn down (no cheap electronic timers for them). The missle fires and you are thrown backwards almost falling off. Finnaly you climb your ay back on going at a dizzying speed. The engine rund out and your rocket starts to fall towards the ground. It hits thr ground and you are thrown forward off the ever present cliff. Then you know what happens.

logicboy
2003-May-02, 12:16 PM
If you run off a cliff you only fall if you look down in the Looney Tunes World :lol:

Glom
2003-May-02, 12:20 PM
If you run off a cliff you only fall if you look down in the Looney Tunes World :lol:

Well that seems fair enough. According to things like quantum physics and stuff, if you pick a snooker ball out of a bag, the snooker ball will have no colour until you look at it. Therefore, when you run off the edge of a cliff, you won't know you've run off the edge of the cliff until you look down.

nebularain
2003-May-02, 01:13 PM
Hey! I liked Superfriends when I was a kid! But then again, it was the '70's and I was a kid (elementary school) and - golly gee willickers - a lot of cartoons back then were actually made for kids!! I wonder about the intended audience of the cartoons coming out now that children are watching....

The Shade
2003-May-02, 03:57 PM
The Robin series you're talking about is the "Teen Titans". My memory's too fuzzy to remember who's in the lineup. :oops:

Iain Lambert
2003-May-02, 03:59 PM
Isn't there this whole theory that Looney Tunes physics is exactly what the real world would be like if you shoved Plank's constant through the roof? Not falling until you look down and observe the missing ground, being able to quantum tunnel through walls (in this case because there is a picture of a tunnel on it) etc.?

daver
2003-May-02, 07:09 PM
I actually thoght that the old superferiends were entertaining. sure they diverged from all known genres in comics and powers, but hey i can forgive. FOX wasn't around then, so someone had to do that kind of stuff. :-)

Well, they weren't too big on story. Or animation. Or continuity.

I was watching an episode last week (Cartoon Network runs it late at night). In this one, it turns out that the Batplane can also travel in space and time. And Green Lantern helps rescue some Superfriends captured by the Legion of Doom. Among the Superfriends captured was Green Lantern.

daver
2003-May-02, 07:13 PM
The Robin series you're talking about is the "Teen Titans". My memory's too fuzzy to remember who's in the lineup. :oops:

Kid Flash. Something like Wonder Girl, i think. I don't kow if Supergirl was a member or not.

I liked the one set in the future better, probably primarily because of Saturn Girl. Proteus was neat (what was his little blob called? Proto?).

g99
2003-May-02, 08:06 PM
Teen titans will have Robin, Cyborg, Starfire, Beast Boy and Raven. (from the site in the OP)

If i rember right Cyborg and Starfire were part of the superfriends right?

Alex Scott
2003-May-03, 05:36 AM
Cyborg was, but Starfire wasn't. You're thinking of Firestorm.

g99
2003-May-03, 05:49 AM
Cyborg was, but Starfire wasn't. You're thinking of Firestorm.

Ahh..Yes him. thanks. :-)

Beelzebob
2003-May-06, 12:38 PM
nothing can compete with bananaman! Come on it's a cartoon about a guy who eats bananas AND solves crimes!

tracer
2003-May-07, 06:17 AM
Isn't there this whole theory that Looney Tunes physics is exactly what the real world would be like if you shoved Plank's constant through the roof? Not falling until you look down and observe the missing ground, being able to quantum tunnel through walls (in this case because there is a picture of a tunnel on it) etc.?
If you shoved Planck's constant through the roof, the energy and momentum of a single photon would be so huge that ... well, let's just say the term "photon torpedo" would take on a whole new meaning.