PDA

View Full Version : 30n As A Superstition?

Tog
2006-Sep-22, 09:09 AM
I have a question about a superstition I ran across tonight that I've never heard of before. I'd like to see if anyone is familiar with it, but the problem is that it may specific to a particular religion and I dont want to stray into a gray area.

Can a superstition that is specific to religion be discussed here?

farmerjumperdon
2006-Sep-22, 01:14 PM
I have a question about a superstition I ran across tonight that I've never heard of before. I'd like to see if anyone is familiar with it, but the problem is that it may specific to a particular religion and I dont want to stray into a gray area.

Sounds mysterious, and maybe more like a ritual than a superstition. Why not describe the superstition and leave the religious specificity out.

Swift
2006-Sep-22, 01:30 PM
PM your posting to a Mod and ask their opinion.

antoniseb
2006-Sep-22, 02:15 PM

Possibly. As Swift suggests, PM your proposed post to a moderator, and we'll find a way to make it work (unless there is no way).

Tog
2006-Sep-22, 03:19 PM
Okay, having received some guidelines, here is the situation. I work in a hotel. I had some people come in last night that needed a certain type of room. We only had a few rooms that matched so I picked one and gave them their keys. They saw that room started with the Digits 3-0 and began speaking very quickly in another language. The spokesman for the two asked for a different room. The only other one that matched their needs was also a 3-0 room. They then asked is we had any rooms that did not start with 3-0, that fit they type they wanted. I said we did not, and they said it would be okay and went up. Their reactions was very much like a person that didn't want to be in a room with a 13 in the number.

So my question is, has anyone ever heard of 3-0 being a superstition like 13 is here in the US for some people? And if so, would anyone know the origins of it.

Mods, if anyone would like to change the title to something like "Question on 30 as a superstition" I'd be all for it.;)

antoniseb
2006-Sep-22, 03:26 PM
Title changed. Interesting question.

sarongsong
2006-Sep-22, 06:10 PM
Ha, ha---maybe they were Journalists, to whom -30- signifies The End (of their written articles).

Maksutov
2006-Sep-22, 06:26 PM
Ha, ha---maybe they were Journalists, to whom -30- signifies The End (of their written articles).In the same vein (right, Drac?), maybe it's tied up with BASIC:

10 PRINT "CALLING SUBROUTINE!"
15 GOSUB 100
20 PRINT "BACK FROM SUBROUTINE!"
30 END
100 PRINT "IN SUBROUTINE!"
110 RETURN

http://img394.imageshack.us/img394/4879/iconbiggrin1kg.gif

Roving Philosopher
2006-Sep-22, 07:58 PM
I've not heard of any superstitions around the number 30, but, as 3 and 0 seem to be fairly significant numbers in a lot of cultures, I wouldn't be surprised if, for some culture, they are a bad omen when combined.

Of course, it may also be something particular to the people themselves. Their past experiences with rooms starting with 3-0 may make them wary of such rooms.

Swift
2006-Sep-22, 10:22 PM
Were they younger folks? A lot of 20-somethings can't handle the thought of turning 30. :p
That's why, when I'm in a hotel, I avoid all rooms that start with 5-0. :D

Captain Kidd
2006-Sep-22, 11:23 PM
Could you give us their ethnicity? That might help narrow it down to a particular region. Or a wild stab at the language or language style? (There's a better term than "languave style". What I mean is could you tell if it was Latin-based or Middle-Eastern, or maybe Oriential sounding?)

Tog
2006-Sep-24, 03:31 AM
Could you give us their ethnicity? That might help narrow it down to a particular region. Or a wild stab at the language or language style? (There's a better term than "languave style". What I mean is could you tell if it was Latin-based or Middle-Eastern, or maybe Oriential sounding?)
Actually, that was one of the things discussed with the mod in PM. The problem is that the ethnicity is closley tied with a specific religion. The language was a middle eastern one, and neither seemed to be over 30 years old.

Jens
2006-Sep-24, 07:52 AM
You know, it could have to do with the language. Many Japanese people will avoid rooms that contain the digits 4 and 9, because one pronunciation of 4 (shi) also means "death", and one pronunciation of 9 (ku) also means "suffering." Which is just to say that there could be something like that at work.

Captain Kidd
2006-Sep-24, 10:36 PM
Which is why I was hesitant to ask; but a lot of significance of numbers is tied to religion so I though maybe it could lend a clue. I did do some looking and came up empty for 3-0 or 30 or just 3.

Fortis
2006-Sep-24, 10:54 PM
Perhaps they were ancient Romans, and the concept of a digit called zero freaked them out? ;)

NEOWatcher
2006-Sep-25, 12:29 PM
Perhaps they were ancient Romans, and the concept of a digit called zero freaked them out? ;)
XXX (Means alot, in many different ways) :p