PDA

View Full Version : The Ryder Cup

Jakenorrish
2006-Sep-22, 09:15 AM
I'm listening to this on the radio at the moment and it seems Europe are off to a very good start. What are your thoughts?

Gruesome
2006-Sep-22, 01:20 PM
Golf on the radio? How can you stand the excitement?

You can watch it LIVE on the internet by going to rydercup.com.

Right now Europe leads 2.5 to 1.5.

David Toms missed a four footer by about two feet. The USA better get their act together.

GO USA!

Jakenorrish
2006-Sep-22, 01:27 PM
Well, they'll need all the help they can get after the last couple. I won't get the live feeds as we're not allowed them in work. I'm out of here in an hour though, so will get some viewing in before the day is out.

I think the Europeans will have the edge this morning after Westwood/ Clarke's stunning victory after being outplayed for most of the round.....

Gruesome
2006-Sep-22, 05:52 PM
Europe wins the day.

5 - 2

The US is in big trouble now.

Doodler
2006-Sep-22, 06:05 PM
The US "team" wasn't too brilliantly put together. Whomever it was that put Phil Mickelson and Tiger Woods as a pair needs his head examined with a claw hammer. To say nothing of the fact that the US golfers really don't do much of anything with each other than show up for tee time.

Jakenorrish
2006-Sep-25, 09:30 AM
No surprise that none of you USA people have commented on the Ryder cup given the drubbing which was dished out by Europe yesterday. The USPGA have to sort out their selection policy or there are more thrashings to come.

Congratulations to Europe and Ian Woosnam for his inspired choices of pairings.

Doodler
2006-Sep-25, 04:22 PM
*waves American flag*

Over here.

Like I said, bad team selection, and not a helluva lot of esprit de corps among the pros. Even the most congenial golfers can flub pairs play badly by failing to understand that you're setting up the next shot for the other guy, and not yourself. That requires a level of understanding about someone else's playstyle in a game very much built around the individual in the regular "season".

Not something the US has done well in a very long time.

Eroica
2006-Sep-25, 04:31 PM
The US "team" wasn't too brilliantly put together. Whomever it was that put Phil Mickelson and Tiger Woods as a pair needs his head examined with a claw hammer.
That was two years ago. This year Tiger was teamed up with Jim Furyk.

I listened to the coverage on BBC Five-Live, which I found very entertaining - actually better than watching it!

I think the Americans have to resurrect the gung-ho spirit of Brookline 1999, or this thing could die a slow death!

Gruesome
2006-Sep-25, 06:28 PM
No surprise that none of you USA people have commented on the Ryder cup given the drubbing which was dished out by Europe yesterday.

Like my mother always said, "If you can't say anything nice..."

pghnative
2006-Sep-25, 06:58 PM
No surprise that none of you USA people have commented on the Ryder cup given the drubbing which was dished out by Europe yesterday.That may have more to do with the fact that golf has never been an exciting topic here at BAUT.

I tried to watch as much as I could over the weekend. There was a stretch yesterday (shortly before Europe reached 14 points) where the golf shots were amazing --- chips and long putts being sunk by both sides.

A shame that the score wasn't closer.

The USPGA have to sort out their selection policy or there are more thrashings to come.It's hard for me to blame the selection technique. I mean, there were four rookies on the team this year, all of whom did better (or at least no worse) than the "veterans-not-nicknamed-Tiger". If the selection policy resulted in more veterans, would that have been better?? The veterans have only won once the previous four times, and that was through an amazing Sunday comeback.

farmerjumperdon
2006-Sep-25, 08:09 PM
That may have more to do with the fact that golf has never been an exciting topic here at BAUT.

Well, you gotta admit, it is a pretty boring sport - especially if you are not actually playing. So staid and stoic and quiet and prim and proper and other things like that.

No screaming, sliding, kicking, running, or any of that.

They even high five like prepubescent girls at a finishing school.

And they clap more as a courtesy, as if it were in a studio and the APPLAUSE sign went on. Even on a bad shot they clap.

I don't clap unless it is deserved.

Big Brother Dunk
2006-Sep-25, 11:54 PM
Congrats to the European team. It was great to see Darren Clarke play as well as he did. Sergio Garcia and Lee Westwood were dominant.

Also, congrats to the U.S. team who were gracious in defeat. And even though they were beaten easily, there were some gritty performances on that team, Stewart Cink and Jim Furyk in particular.

And finally, congrats to the Irish fans for showing bringing a bit of class and dignity back to the event.

Over the past few years, there have been a few Ryder Cups where sportsmanship and honour took a back seat to winning. This year, it wasn't the case. Good for the Irish, and good for all the fans who attended. There were almost no shouts of "get in the hole" or "you da man" during play, and that was somewhat refreshing.

Jakenorrish
2006-Sep-26, 09:00 AM
Congrats to the European team. It was great to see Darren Clarke play as well as he did. Sergio Garcia and Lee Westwood were dominant.

Also, congrats to the U.S. team who were gracious in defeat. And even though they were beaten easily, there were some gritty performances on that team, Stewart Cink and Jim Furyk in particular.

And finally, congrats to the Irish fans for showing bringing a bit of class and dignity back to the event.

Over the past few years, there have been a few Ryder Cups where sportsmanship and honour took a back seat to winning. This year, it wasn't the case. Good for the Irish, and good for all the fans who attended. There were almost no shouts of "get in the hole" or "you da man" during play, and that was somewhat refreshing.

Well my incendiary comment dragged a few of you in. I didn't mean to offend anyone. I echo the sentiments of BB Dunk's message. I'm sure that the US will sort their team out for Kentucky in a couple of years, but the European captain for that one is Nick Faldo. A man who knows a fair bit about the Ryder Cup. Could it be four in a row for Europe?

Essan
2006-Sep-26, 12:27 PM
Anyone know whan the Ryder cup changed from being USA v Europe to USA v EU ?

Jakenorrish
2006-Sep-26, 01:15 PM
Anyone know whan the Ryder cup changed from being USA v Europe to USA v EU ?

Not sure if it has Essan. As far as I know, the Ryder Cup is still Europe against the USA.... For further info the Ryder Cup website has all you could need.

pghnative
2006-Sep-26, 01:52 PM
Anyone know whan the Ryder cup changed from being USA v Europe to USA v EU ?Is there a difference? I mean, has the number of countries eligible to send players changed?

The big change was in either the late seventies or very early eighties (my memory says 1979), when the format was changed from USA vs some permutation of England (maybe G. Britain, maybe UK, not sure), to USA vs Europe. That was done to make the contest more competitive.

I think the US will likely get slaughtered in 2008, 2010 etc. Not sure why, since they appear competitive on paper (world rankings). The conventional wisdom is that the US chokes in team competition (either because they are thin-skinned or aren't good teammates). I, on the other hand, wonder if the world rankings are skewed to favor the PGA tour vs other world tours. (e.g., you earn more world ranking points if you perform well in a tournament that has a lot of high ranking players -- so rankings could tend to be self-perpetuating. This is especially true when more top European golfers travel to the US than vice versa --- so a high percentage of stroke play events with both top US and EU golfers occur on US soil, US golfers presumably have an advantage, again reinforcing the world rankings.)

Essan
2006-Sep-26, 02:04 PM
I think originally it was Britain & Ireland. And then it was changed to Europe. However there's more to Europe than the EU - and yet the Europeans players were emblazoned with the silly EU flag ....... What if there had been players from Norway or Switzerland or Croatia or even the Channel Islands and Isle of Man?

Looked to me like an unsubtle way of pushing something which most Europeans depise: the United States of Europe.....

Anyway maybe it's time to consider a 3 way competition? USA v Britain & Ireland (who make up most of the European Team) v Rest of the World?

Jakenorrish
2006-Sep-26, 03:06 PM
Looked to me like an unsubtle way of pushing something which most Europeans depise: the United States of Europe.....

I very much doubt that is the case Essan. It is due to the fact that the European flag is the clearest way of uniting the players under one sporting banner. That's the point here. The Ryder Cup (including both teams) was shown to be a sporting contest and had NOTHING to do with politics.

Also, be mindful of making incendiary political statements on the board about Europe, or anything else. Its against the rules.

Nachor
2006-Sep-26, 07:11 PM
The big change was in either the late seventies or very early eighties (my memory says 1979), when the format was changed from USA vs some permutation of England (maybe G. Britain, maybe UK, not sure), to USA vs Europe. That was done to make the contest more competitive.

Exactly. The 1979 Ryder Cup was the first played by a European Team, with Ballesteros and Garrido as the first continental players. The change was proposed at the 1977 Cup in Scotland.

Big Brother Dunk
2006-Sep-26, 07:32 PM
I believe the change to include the rest of Europe was designed to improve the competitive balance, however it seems to have gone too far.

Perhaps the US team should now include players from North and South America. I'd suspect that would inject a little passion into the team.

Nachor
2006-Sep-26, 09:34 PM
I believe the change to include the rest of Europe was designed to improve the competitive balance, however it seems to have gone too far.

Perhaps the US team should now include players from North and South America. I'd suspect that would inject a little passion into the team.

That may be...

But also, take a look at the results before the change to include the continental players... that was very unbalanced.
Only 3 wins for the UK (10 for USA), then in 1961 Ireland was introduced, resulting in 8 wins for the US and one (!) tied game, the USA retaining the trophy in this one, since 1927.
No RC was played during WW 2 (last 1937, next 1947).
After including continental european players, it is USA 7, Europe 8, one tie with Europe retaining the trophy. (from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryder_Cup#Results ).

Well, let's see what happens at Valhalla GC in Kentucky...

Jakenorrish
2006-Sep-27, 09:05 AM
Well, if you look at the world rankings (as well as the Europeans complete lack of success in majors in recent years) it should be the USA dominating this competition. I think that the USA's lack of 'bottle' on the greens was the main reason for Europe's win. We sank the putts, the USA didn't.

This seems to be where the team ethic comes in. The Europeans were sizing up every putt together on the opening 2 days. The USA were trusting each other's judgement.

The cup belonged to Darren Clarke though. What a lovely reception from everyone and well done on the likes of Tiger Woods in swallowing their pride and congratulating him at the end.

Big Brother Dunk
2006-Sep-29, 01:35 AM
...The Europeans were sizing up every putt together on the opening 2 days. The USA were trusting each other's judgement...

Yeah I noticed that too. Do you think anyone would have the nerve to offer Tiger a second opinion on the line of his putt? Or that Tiger would even want a second opinion? His caddie, Steve, just might throw them in a water hazard.:D

pghnative
2006-Sep-29, 02:46 AM
.. His caddie, Steve, just might throw them in a water hazard.:DBut that would be a good thing -- they could grab Tiger's nine iron.

JohnD
2006-Sep-29, 11:03 AM
Since Tiger Woods seems to be in the firing line.
I don't do golf, but if there's nothing else on TV, it's nice wallpaper - the grass, the trees, the plumage of the players,........

I had it on for, I think, the opening serves (excuse me if I use the wrong terms). Seemed to me that the US was doomed, as TW, that divvie of the divots, put his straight into the water.
I was right.

John