PDA

View Full Version : New Zealand

Andromeda321
2006-Sep-22, 06:33 PM
Well I got the news today that my study abroad has been approved! This means that next semester I will be spending February to July at the University of Auckland in New Zealand! :D I am really excited about this, as I think it's going to be really awesome.

So that having been said, who here wants to lend their sage advice on all things Kiwi? :)

lti
2006-Sep-23, 12:51 AM
Awesome! Im currently studying a BE at UoA. What made you decide to study here of all the places in the world?

Kiwi
2006-Sep-23, 10:59 AM
So that having been said, who here wants to lend their sage advice on all things Kiwi? :)

I guess I might be able to. :D

Good to hear you're coming this way. Pity you're going to Auckland, although I suppose it might be a little better than some overseas cities. Aucklanders look down their noses at the rest of us Kiwis, but we tend to think of them with great pity, if we think of them at all! Their volcanoes might re-light sometime.

If you want to get a good idea of our scenery and some of our people and history, get hold of the 2-DVD set "Billy Connolly's World Tour of New Zealand" (Language warning regarding the in-concert clips). There are some good views of Auckland. At 1:12:11 on disc 1 Connolly says something that must be very painful for a Scotsman -- he admits that our southern fiords are nicer than Loch Lomond. I've done a comprehensive 5-1/2 page index of the DVDs, naming many sights and locations. If anyone would like a copy do me a personal message with your email address and I'll send it.

Make sure you plan to get to some dark-sky areas to view our far-superior skies -- LMC, SMC, Omega Centauri, and 47 Tucanae are naked-eye sights.

One slightly foggy night in Wellington I went up to a lookout in the hope of it being above the fog to get a better view of Halley's Comet than I had at home. As I approached the top I heard in a long, southern-States drawl: "Do y'all mean ah travelled twelve thousand marls to see a smurdge?" I thought, "You clown. If you travelled that far, why haven't you hired a car and driven over to the Wairarapa (about 70 km) where the skies are beautifully dark?" Out of the cities, Halley's Comet looked great when it a had a tail.

We're very aware of many American colloquialisms, but you'll no doubt find many of ours baffling.

Andromeda321
2006-Sep-23, 05:08 PM
Awesome! Im currently studying a BE at UoA. What made you decide to study here of all the places in the world?
A few reasons really, firstly because I'm rather fond of speaking English, second because I have a fascination with that part of the world thanks to a childhood pen pal in NZ and a sister who lives half the year in Australia (not the same, I know), third because I have heard many a tale about how pretty it is, and fourth because I'm a physics major required to take courses in a specific sequence, and UoA was the only uni in NZ where I could do that (silly switched semesters!). Oh, and I'm looking forward to skipping winter as well! ;)
And thanks for the tips, Kiwi, and don't worry as from what I gather most students who study abroad hardly spend a weekend in Auckland anyway since there's so much else to see. However, I feel that if a city has the most sailboats per capita than any other in the world I'll find a way to get along with it!

Skyywatcher
2006-Sep-25, 11:46 PM
If you ever fish there are some fantastic trout to be had and it's beautiful there.

PhantomWolf
2006-Sep-25, 11:48 PM
So we have till next Feb to get out of the country is what you're telling us?

paulie jay
2006-Sep-26, 01:12 PM
I've rarely met a Kiwi that I didn't like (there was just that one guy), and I reckon the only bit of advice I can hand over is that if you are in any way the slightest bit gullible, then the Kiwi penchant for straight-faced leg pulling will get you every time. ;)