PDA

View Full Version : Hot Jupiters and Pulsar Planets

Fraser
2006-Sep-22, 06:32 PM
You've lived on the Earth all your life, so you'd think you know plenty about planets. As usual though, the Universe is stranger than we assume, and the planets orbiting other stars defy our expectations. ...

Read the full blog entry (http://www.astronomycast.com/extrasolar-planets/hot-jupiters-and-pulsar-planets/)

dhd40
2006-Sep-26, 05:24 PM
Hi, thatīs my first post. So, greetings to all bautforum members.
As to hot, low density Jupiters: I donīt understand why this obviously seems to be a surprise to experts (which I am not). Shouldnīt all gas-planets pass a low-density stadium during contraction of the gas cloud from which they form?
DHD40

Ronald Brak
2006-Sep-26, 05:30 PM
Well yes, but the gas giants are low density for gas giants.

dhd40
2006-Sep-26, 05:58 PM
Thank you Ronald,
you said: Well yes, but the gas giants are low density for gas giants

Oh yes, I think I understand. What youīre saying is that they are low density as compared to already known gas giants of the same (similar) size. I wasnīt aware of this.
DHD40

StarStryder
2006-Sep-28, 01:34 AM
The density of these new worlds is only 0.25 times the density of water. Jupiter is more dense than water, and Saturn is 3/4 the density of water (more or less).

Models that include temperature and contration as a function of time can't figure out what these gas giants are doing, so people are very confused.

There is a neat sorry on these "cork" density planets at NASA (http://solarsystem.nasa.gov/news/display.cfm?News_ID=16299).

dhd40
2006-Sep-28, 10:39 AM
Thanks for the link to Nasaīs report.
How about extremely high rotational speed of the planet, just not enough to tear it apart. Or is this an absurd idea?

Schrodinger56
2007-Sep-28, 02:54 PM
Just found the forums and Astronomy Cast podcasts and listening to the Hot Jupipters podcast I wondered if anyone had yet determined how something made predominantly of gas, as in a Jupiter type planet, could orbit so close to its parent star without it being destroyed or the gas being totally evaporated?

S56