PDA

View Full Version : Where has the year gone?

banquo's_bumble_puppy
2006-Sep-25, 10:33 AM
It seems that as I get older, time 'speeds up'. Anyone else freaked out by this? Months are seeming more like days and years more like months....

Maksutov
2006-Sep-25, 12:04 PM
There was a thread somewhere that discussed this.

But, as a summary, it appears that the older you get, the faster things happen, but, relativistically, you're experiencing the same age scalar, but time accelerates in its frame of reference such that you seem to age much faster, at least as measured by events outside your personal frame. Then the inverse is probably true too.

I remember a poster saying that time is slow for the young because they're discovering stuff, but time is fast for those who have already done those discoveries.

This is best summed up by a trivet my grandmother had:

Ve gets too soon alt, und too late schmart.

zebo-the-fat
2006-Sep-25, 08:15 PM
I think it's just that a year is larger fraction of your lifetime at age 7 than at age 70.

BigDon
2006-Sep-25, 09:24 PM
And when the end comes you can't believe its over already, no matter how old you are. Twelve years ago I got so sick my personal physician came in to my room and told me I wasn't going to make it. And I was so sick I believed him.

A side effect of a medication I was taking caused my liver to fail. Told me as of the last blood test, I had no liver function and I had about six hours left. Doesn't get much scarier than that. I was on the exit ramp of the highway of life.

When the ammonia levels in my blood got too high it started to impact my cerebral functions and I thought it was the begining of disolution, where the brain chemistry of life comes to an end. Something we're all going to have to experience I'm sad to say. Had the weirdest illusion. My vision was like the lines of pixals on your monitor only with these red dots at the end of each line that were moving slowly at different speeds from right to left and disolving the lines of pixals like a fuse burning. Then the room began tilting wildly and I lost consiousness soon after.

I came to when I felt the nurse's touch on my wrist as she was getting ready to time me out. I actually startled her when I spoke. And she went and got the Doctor. He came in and told me he was really glad to see me. He looked happy and surprised at the same time. I don't know why my liver function started back up again. Minimal at first but enough to keep me here. Thats as close a call as I've ever heard of.

What disturbs me the most spiritually, is for years I was actually angry I survived. Because it means I was going to have to go through this again sometime in the furture and I thought once was enough. Totally wrong headed I know. I'm mostly over it now. I do enjoy being alive.

Sticks
2006-Sep-25, 09:49 PM
To answer the question, "down to Tesco" :D

Glom
2006-Sep-25, 09:52 PM
Where has the year gone? Well let's see. It's gone towards

Ming Campbell takes over as leader of the Lib Dems.
A terror attack at Heathrow is thwarted.
Islamist terrorists provoke another war with Israel bringing its wrath down on Lebanon.
A rather English coup happens in Thailand with apologies all round and a few cups of tea.
A rather Scottish coup tries to happen in England ousting Blair but fails.
A rather Irish coup gets underway in Hungary over the incumbent president's perceived deceptions.
A centre-right alliance takes power in Sweden.
Bruce Power, Duke Energy and Dominion get ready to start building new nuclear reactors in North America.
The A380 gets delayed. Then it gets delayed some more. Afterwards, Airbus does some more delaying. Then there's another delay, a little delaying, and finally a delay.
Steven Harper becomes Prime Minister of Canada (or was that last year?).
There's the Ukraine gas crisis.
The P3/3 truss gets installed on the International Space Station.
Richard Hammond narrowly survives a crash of his drag racer.
Stardust returns.
The IAU defines the term 'planet' to exclude Pluto. You hear that? Pluto is NOT a planet.
We have the Winter Olympics in Turin.
Montenegro becomes independent from Serbia.
Ariel Sharon enters a coma and Ehud Olmert takes his place as leader of the Likud party and becoming Prime Minister of Israel.
Italy wins the World Cup in Germany.
A suspicious HWR is opened in Iran.
Castro goes to hospital, putting his brother in charge. Nepotism is a staple of enlightened communist tyrannies.
The public smoking ban is introduced in Scotland.
BP's Miller platform suspends production for a reason I forget but it's the reason I'm not going there until November.
The Three Gorges Dam becomes operational.
And most importantly, Paul Robinson gets sealed in a cave by his deranged son and left to die in Neighbours.

jrkeller
2006-Sep-26, 01:45 AM
What disturbs me the most spiritually, is for years I was actually angry I survived. Because it means I was going to have to go through this again sometime in the furture and I thought once was enough. Totally wrong headed I know. I'm mostly over it now. I do enjoy being alive.

The same thing more or less happened to my father, except that he only lasted six weeks. He just gave up eating. It was his way of checking out.

jrkeller
2006-Sep-26, 01:48 AM
It seems that as I get older, time 'speeds up'. Anyone else freaked out by this? Months are seeming more like days and years more like months....

Not really. I spent a lot of time at work and with my kids. Two things that I enjoy a lot and that make me feel content.

afterburner
2006-Sep-26, 02:36 AM
You can snap back to it by not worrying too much, and instead of thinking and analyzing - just experience things. The brain is an experience-processing machine, so just let it do its job, without filtering the information with unnecessary thoughts. How can a chunk of matter that has evolved to experience things be worried? Only through the invention that is language, my friend. Just let it goooo....:shhh:

Lurker
2006-Sep-26, 03:20 AM
Shouldn't this be a poll so we can all vote on where it's gone??

Smashing Young Man
2006-Sep-26, 04:28 AM
Same for me. I think that it's because, when you're younger, everything is a big adventure. As you get older monotony tends to set in, making all the days, months and years seem to bleed into one another.

Time flies when you're having fun but oddly, in the macroview, the opposite is true.

Celestial Mechanic
2006-Sep-26, 04:42 AM
The year has gone to the place where all the socks that disappeared from clothes dryers have gone. :D

jrkeller
2006-Sep-26, 04:43 AM
Same for me. I think that it's because, when you're younger, everything is a big adventure. As you get older monotony tends to set in, making all the days, months and years seem to bleed into one another.

Time flies when you're having fun but oddly, in the macroview, the opposite is true.

I guess I have never felt that way. My interests change every couple of years, so I guess I'm learning something new all the time and that's why things seem to move about same rate all the time. I guess it helps to have three kids whose interests are over the map.

Right now, I'm really into politics, political ideas and related topics.

Gillianren
2006-Sep-26, 05:43 AM
This year can't go fast enough for me.

HenrikOlsen
2006-Sep-26, 06:55 AM
This year can't go fast enough for me.
And will therefore almost by necessity take forever to drag by.

Maksutov
2006-Sep-26, 07:02 AM
Where has the year gone? Well let's see. It's gone towards

Ming Campbell takes over as leader of the Lib Dems.[edit]
And most importantly, Paul Robinson gets sealed in a cave by his deranged son and left to die in Neighbours.You left out the crocodile guy.

Sticks
2006-Sep-26, 07:24 AM
The year just called on his mobile, his hummer had a breakdown and he is still waiting for the RAC to come by. He sends his apologies and will get back as soon as possible.

Gillianren
2006-Sep-26, 08:22 AM
And will therefore almost by necessity take forever to drag by.

Exactly.

farmerjumperdon
2006-Sep-26, 12:24 PM
I guess I have never felt that way. My interests change every couple of years, so I guess I'm learning something new all the time and that's why things seem to move about same rate all the time. I guess it helps to have three kids whose interests are over the map.

Right now, I'm really into politics, political ideas and related topics.

That's it, a concious decision to keep it fresh. Stimulation, variety, new experiences.

It does seem more precious, but no reason for it to be uninteresting.

Life is like a roll of toilet paper. The closer you get to the end, the faster it moves along. (And it too becomes more precious, especially when the next roll is out of reach)

Those kids (active ones anyway) will keep you hopping. Syd is in basketball, Girl Scouts, choir, band, and plans on downhill racing this winter. She also wants to get back to karate this winter. Time for a chat about making tough decisions. Last winter we only had one day per week (Sunday) where we didn't have to haul her to at least one activity.

Larry Jacks
2006-Sep-26, 12:49 PM
The year has gone to the place where all the socks that disappeared from clothes dryers have gone.

IIRC, it was back in the 1980s when the scientific humor magazine "Journal of Irreproducable Results" ran a series of letters pondering the mystery of why socks disappeared and coat hangers multiplied. My personal favorite is that socks are the larval stage of coat hangers. If that hypothesis is true, then it seems unlikely that years have gone the same as socks. I just can't see a year turning into coat hangers.

In my personal experience, I've found that the busier I am, the faster time seems to go by, as in "Time flies when you're having fun." The converse is also true, as in "Fun flies when you're doing time." Having spent a year in the Aleutians on a remote assignment (courtesy of the Air Force), I can vouch for both sayings being true. Up at Shemya, we also had "Buffet's Law", derived from his song "Changes in Latitude, Changes in Attitude". We noticed that the further south we went, the happier we became.

Argos
2006-Sep-26, 01:19 PM
I think it's just that a year is larger fraction of your lifetime at age 7 than at age 70.

Yeah, I´ve always thought like that. When you´re 5 you have to live your whole life again to get to 10.

This year has passed at the speed of a wink.

To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death.

W.S.

mahesh
2006-Sep-26, 01:52 PM
Heey, what's up, Docs?

Happy belated birthdays' wishes to BigD and Zebo....

The year is going, where it always has gone...right behind you...

Scheer up old schaps.

whyyousosaaad Gillian?
i send you a big huuuug!

peteshimmon
2006-Sep-26, 02:50 PM
You talkin t'me Geek? About the planet Pluto that is:)

Donnie B.
2006-Sep-26, 05:23 PM
Time flies when you're having fun but oddly, in the macroview, the opposite is true.Time has fun when you're flying? ;)

Moose
2006-Sep-26, 05:29 PM
Steven Harper becomes Prime Minister of Canada (or was that last year?).

The election was late last January.

Gillianren
2006-Sep-26, 05:48 PM
whyyousosaaad Gillian?
i send you a big huuuug!

My boyfriend's in Kuwait and is soon to be in Iraq. I'm not going to see him until next summer. No offense, Mahesh, but yours isn't the hug I want!

ToSeek
2006-Sep-26, 10:44 PM
Time going by faster has its advantages, too. I can remember when a school week seemed like an eternity - the next weekend seemed as if it would never come. Now if I'm going through some tedious period I know it's going to be over pretty soon, subjectively speaking, so I relax a little more.

mahesh
2006-Sep-27, 12:40 PM
My boyfriend's in Kuwait and is soon to be in Iraq. I'm not going to see him until next summer. No offense, Mahesh, but yours isn't the hug I want!
Oh dear Gillian
I had no idea
What in the world...I am sorry, didn't realise the seriousness of your circumstances, Gillian

Wishing you and your sweetheart all the best, safe return from his tour of duty. Next summer will be with you in a blink of an eye.

Doodler
2006-Sep-27, 04:16 PM
Years go by fast? Dammit, did I miss another memo? This one's been freakin' DRAGGING for yours truly...

Marked by the sudden onset of a rather annoying sleep disorder that's affected my kid brother and sister since they were halfpints. When we were in school, I'd literally shout myself hoarse getting them conscious, where I'd be up without a tap on the snooze button.

For whatever reason, until about this time last year, I could run on 4 or 5 hours of sleep a night, then in the last year, really, I've had weekends where I could sleep 11 hours at a shot and still feel like lead dragging my butt off the matress.

Gillianren
2006-Sep-27, 07:17 PM
Oh dear Gillian
I had no idea
What in the world...I am sorry, didn't realise the seriousness of your circumstances, Gillian

Wishing you and your sweetheart all the best, safe return from his tour of duty. Next summer will be with you in a blink of an eye.

Thanks. We're in semi-regular contact, but yeah, we're all hoping for the best.

Hey, Doodler, I sympathize about the sleep thing. My last meds (which had scary other side effects, so I wasn't on them for very long) both made me drowsy and kept me from actually sleeping, but I've also been on meds where all I did some days was sleep. Not that I really have a "regular" sleep pattern, but it's a pain when it even feels disrupted, so I can imagine what you're going through.

Doodler
2006-Sep-27, 07:20 PM
The thing that gets me is that I'm not on any meds. I can't blame it on depression, my life's actually been better recently than it has in the last three years. A part of me wants to let it go at just getting old, but dang it, I'm not that old! :)

Gillianren
2006-Sep-27, 08:35 PM
Yeah, I know that one, too. I'm not yet 30, but I have the knees of a woman twice my age. (Woke up with back spasms this morning, too.)

Doodler
2006-Sep-27, 08:43 PM
Meh, youngin'. I hit 32 like a ton of bricks this year, and have been contending with the discovery of gray in my beard. :)

Moose
2006-Sep-27, 09:42 PM
I hear you, Doodler. 33, and my beard's gone. Too much salt, not enough pepper.

Gillianren
2006-Sep-27, 09:55 PM
We found my first grey hair this summer.

Doodler
2006-Sep-27, 10:48 PM
We found my first grey hair this summer.

Still doing better than me. :)

mugaliens
2006-Sep-29, 06:58 PM

Funny you should mention this - I just mentioned this to a guy ten years my junior, today.