PDA

View Full Version : what is the importance of lazer technology in astronomy and space.

suntrack2
2006-Sep-25, 01:29 PM
I am talking about lazer rays here: I have seen lot of times the lazer beams in the movies, lazer torch, etc. I am asking here how the lazer is useful in space?

what is its exact importance in astrnomy, is this tool is better for the experiments in the space as compare to other rays?

and a telescope if we use with a lazer beam through it, will it be useful for more brighter sides of the object in the space? or such sort of beam will reduce the quality of the image. ?

NEOWatcher
2006-Sep-25, 01:37 PM
...and a telescope if we use with a lazer beam through it, will it be useful for more brighter sides of the object in the space? or such sort of beam will reduce the quality of the image. ?
Are you talking about using the laser to light something up?

I doubt that a laser can do anything useful beyond a certain distance.
It is used to measure the distance to the moon, thanks to an Apollo reflector.

Lasers are used as a calibration tool to account for disturbances in the atmosphere. Whatever adjustments are necessary to correct the beam are the same adjustments needed to adjust the image on the scope.

antoniseb
2006-Sep-25, 01:55 PM
Lasers can't realistically be used to brighten a distant object, but they can be used for precise distance measurements, and for correcting for atmospheric distortion. They can also be used for high-speed communications.

Nereid
2006-Sep-25, 02:42 PM
Mars Orbiter Laser Altimeter (MOLA (http://ltpwww.gsfc.nasa.gov/tharsis/mola.html)) is one example of an excellent application of lasers 'in space'.

Laser Interferometer Space Antenna (LISA (http://sci.esa.int/science-e/www/object/index.cfm?fobjectid=31380)) will be one of the most spectacular uses of 'lasers in space' (if it ever gets off the ground).

suntrack2
2006-Sep-26, 12:32 PM
thanks Nereid for the links like mola-lisa. my friend who is a Principal and Dr.of one college wrote one paper on laser, but that topic was quite new for me and when I read the information I could not understand their topic, I was too lesser in the knowledge of laser. He tried me to give information but it was beyond my understanding power. But as the information you have given above I got sufficient through it.

But antoniseb how the laser are useful in correcting the atmospheric distortion, could you please expand, and also is it more effective communication tool with a higher speed even than the fibre optics?

antoniseb
2006-Sep-26, 01:09 PM
antoniseb how the laser are useful in correcting the atmospheric distortion, could you please expand, and also is it more effective communication tool with a higher speed even than the fibre optics?

Active Optics use lasers to help determine how to slightly change the shape of the mirror, so as to keep a sharp image. Concerning high speed communication, fiber optics uses lasers, but satellites doen't have fibers connecting them to the ground or other satellites. Communication between two satellites can be one with lasers (and has recently been demonstrated) to good effect.

Ilya
2006-Sep-26, 02:51 PM
Since laziness is a major driver of inventions, anything called "lazer" is likely to increase creativity.

Glutomoto
2006-Sep-27, 11:34 AM
Active Optics use lasers to help determine how to slightly change the shape of the mirror, so as to keep a sharp image. Concerning high speed communication, fiber optics uses lasers, but satellites doen't have fibers connecting them to the ground or other satellites. Communication between two satellites can be one with lasers (and has recently been demonstrated) to good effect.

this link to APOD (http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap050207.html) might help to expand on what antoniseb said about how lasers are used in active optic systems for astronomy.

and a link to bad astronomy (http://www.badastronomy.com/bitesize/adaptive.html) for Phil's write up on adaptive optics. I don't think he mentions the use of lasers but there it is.

gl
:)

suntrack2
2006-Sep-28, 10:42 AM
thanks glutomoto, for the reply.