PDA

View Full Version : New subatomic particle doesn't fit theory

ToSeek
2003-May-02, 04:54 PM
It's too light! (http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?id=ns99993687)

I thought this was interesting, and it's got to have some sort of implications for astronomy or cosmology or whatever, right?

informant
2003-May-02, 05:30 PM
If the mass of the particle is smaller than expected, and the particle was supposed to be made up of two quarks, how could a four-quark model be an explanation? Wouldn't that have even greater mass?

dgruss23
2003-May-02, 06:34 PM
Interesting!

I find it ironic that the article is written by the author of The End of Science. Perhaps new editions of his book will add the subtitle "just kidding".[/i]

Eta C
2003-May-02, 07:08 PM
We'll have to wait for the PRL article to actually come out to get the full story. I don't trust any popular science mag (even one as good as New Scientist) to fully explain what's going on.
This is also the first observation of this. If the result isn't confirmed by CLEO it wouldn't be the first time an experiment announced a result by press release only to have to retract it. Back in the 80's when I was in grad school at SLAC an experiment at CERN made several grand announcements (discovery of the top quark, discovery of the Higgs boson) that later proved to be incorrect. Top was later found by another experiment, but we're still waiting on the Higgs.
If correct, however, it could be interesting. We shall see.

ToSeek
2003-May-02, 07:10 PM
Interesting!

I find it ironic that the article is written by the author of The End of Science. Perhaps new editions of his book will add the subtitle "just kidding".[/i]

Not quite: the author of The End of Science is John Horgan; the author here is Jenny Hogan.

dgruss23
2003-May-02, 07:30 PM
Interesting!

Not quite: the author of The End of Science is John Horgan; the author here is Jenny Hogan.

Whoops! Yeah, I guess I read that name too fast.

tracer
2003-May-03, 02:42 AM
The name they gave to the new particle -- Ds (2317) -- sounds like it's a resonance particle. (You know, particles whose half-lives are on the order of 10^-23 seconds, so they exist for far too brief a time to leave tracks in a bubble chamber.) Is that the case?